Premed 101 Forums

Rural Suitability

Hello Guys,

I am very interested in rural medicine and I have been living and working in Chilliwack for 7 years, but I am not sure if I could include my experience in Chilliwack as a rural experience, I looked it up on the internet and noticed UBC offers one of its ICCs at Chilliwack location, does that mean it's considered rural in UBC's eyes?

2 hours ago, FF20 said:

Hello Guys,

I am very interested in rural medicine and I have been living and working in Chilliwack for 7 years, but I am not sure if I could include my experience in Chilliwack as a rural experience, I looked it up on the internet and noticed UBC offers one of its ICCs at Chilliwack location, does that mean it's considered rural in UBC's eyes?

No, I would say it’s not. Although it is potentially a bit contentious depending on who you talk to. Chilliwack has 80k people, many people consider it a city. It’s certainly rural-adjacent, and you may still have experiences related to your time there that would help qualify you. And the UBC Chilliwack ICC has been known to say it’s a rural community. But the Chilliwack UBC family medicine residency site is considered a mid-sized program, not rural. And the RCCbc does not consider it a rural community (whereas Hope, Agassiz, Boston Bar, etc are considered rural). So I don’t think just saying you lived there is really enough.