Premed 101 Forums

Best undergraduate program?

I am a grade 11 student looking to preparer next year, my main goal is to get into dental school. Many people have suggested to me to take health sciences but I am trying to look for alternate undergraduate programs, I was wondering if life science is able to get me into dental school, and what other undergraduate programs I could take to achieve this goal.

As long as you hit the pre-requisite courses you're good. I've had an admissions advisor even tell me I could major in underwater basket weaving if I really wanted to 5 years ago when I was applying. Unless things have drastically changed, I haven't heard about adcoms strictly saying that applicants needed a life science or health science degree to get in. 

Everyone's path is a bit different. Accounting. Nursing. Engineering. Philosophy. Lions. Tigers. Bears. Still a lot of science majors though. Choose the program that you think you'll do the best in or will allow for a nice bail out in the case things don't work out. 

Like everyone else will say, the program doesn’t matter. Make sure it allows you to get all the prerequisites, and make sure the schools you want accept that degree. For example some American schools want to see science degrees. Also keep in mind that you need to prepare yourself for dental school. While just getting in requires only prerequisites, a life or health sciences program prepares you for the courses you’ll see in dental school. That way it’s not as shocking when you actually get there! The route I took was a health Sci degree at a smaller university, that way there was more time for individual/interactive instruction from professors, and I was able to get higher grades.