Premed 101 Forums

IP status verified? or not?

Med201920

Hi everyone.

In order to estimate the prescreening Cutoff for Casper that McGill is using. I would like you to answer some questions.

I want to know whether your IP status has been verified on Minerva (for MDCM applicants only) or not yet.

please let us know:

IP verified: Yes or No

when were you verified?

Casper Quartile: 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th

First letter of your name:   (in order to check if it's done alphabetically)

Situation #:

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? :

were you invited last year? :

thanks a lot

Edited by Med201920
clarification

IP verified: Non, QC situation 7 EDIT: (YES, VERIFIED ON 7 DEC)

Casper Quartile: 4th

Situation #: 7

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : YES

were you invited last year? : NO

L'année passé j'ai été verifié autour du 2 décembre, alors je ne stresse pas tout de suite ! Je me souviens que tout le monde avait été verifié avant moi :)

14 hours ago, Telomerase31 said:

IP verified: Non, QC situation 7

Casper Quartile: 4th

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : YES

were you invited last year? : NO

L'année passé j'ai été verifié autour du 2 décembre, alors je ne stresse pas tout de suite ! Je me souviens que tout le monde avait été verifié avant moi :)

could you please update the form? I just added some small details to it. I would greatly appreciate! thanks

On 12/2/2021 at 1:28 PM, Romina said:

I just checked and saw I got verified today! Maybe go check if you havent been verified yet!

IP verified: Yes 

when were you verified? Dec 2

Casper Quartile: 3rd 

Situation #: 5

FIrst letter last name: N

Verified last year: YES 

Invited last year: NO

were u verified the same week last cycle? 

21 hours ago, veromedico said:

were u verified the same week last cycle? 

I don't remember! I have a feeling that as long as your file goes to full review, which is most applications if your GPA or Casper is even somewhat competitive (last year it was 85.8%), then you'll get verified eventually 

11 minutes ago, Romina said:

I don't remember! I have a feeling that as long as your file goes to full review, which is most applications if your GPA or Casper is even somewhat competitive (last year it was 85.8%), then you'll get verified eventually 

I agree w u, when you enter the full review phase, ur status change to being "verified" 

13 hours ago, veromedico said:

i believe she is talking about the percentage of ppl who passed from the main pool to the file review phase

ohh ok. so one would expect the bottom 14 percentiles (of GPA and casper ) to be systemically eliminated (and not reviewed/verified). this was my theory too. 

as I always ranked in the top 10 in the academic section but was not invited in one of the previous cycles due to an issue with the casper .

thanks for the confirmation guys

2 hours ago, Med201920 said:

ohh ok. so one would expect the bottom 14 percentiles (of GPA and casper ) to be systemically eliminated (and not reviewed/verified). this was my theory too. 

as I always ranked in the top 10 in the academic section but was not invited in one of the previous cycles due to an issue with the casper .

thanks for the confirmation guys

for casper I'm pretty sure they want a score greater than 1.5 STD below the mean

32 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

then, I guess a third quartile will do it!. I saw the 1.5STD thing on Ulaval website I think. or Usherbrooke. isn't it?

What’s tough too is that it all depends on the pool of applicants at McGill this year right. If many applicants are 4th then it would shift this average tight? Or am I understanding it wrong. Anyway, I’m sure 3rd is perfectly fine. McGill would receive our actual score though right? Like more specifically if we’re at the upper or lower end or our quartile? I think it’s hard to guess who will or won’t get an interview because we don’t know how competitive everyone is this year. Fingers crossed though!

efit: oh nvm I think I misunderstood, you guys are talking about a cutoff, ignore me lol

20 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

then, I guess a third quartile will do it!. I saw the 1.5STD thing on Ulaval website I think. or Usherbrooke. isn't it?

I think it would be something more like upper 1st quartile to second quartile thing? I know two people who reported getting first quartile but were verified on Minerva, so maybe even then -1.5SD could very well be in 1st quartile territory but who knows

Is anyone absolutely certain there is a correlation between the ip status verification on minerva and making the cutoff, or is this just total speculation?

For what it's worth:

IP verified: No (as of Dec 6 pm)

Casper Quartile:  4th

First letter of your name:  first 4 letters of alphabet

Situation #: 6

were you verified last year? : I certainly was the year prior, last year I believe so, too but can't remember for sure

were you invited last year? : no; made it past file review and then ranked ~60th percentile in the prescreen cohort

hope this helps! :)

4 hours ago, ceelbe said:

What’s tough too is that it all depends on the pool of applicants at McGill this year right. If many applicants are 4th then it would shift this average tight? Or am I understanding it wrong. Anyway, I’m sure 3rd is perfectly fine. McGill would receive our actual score though right? Like more specifically if we’re at the upper or lower end or our quartile? I think it’s hard to guess who will or won’t get an interview because we don’t know how competitive everyone is this year. Fingers crossed though!

efit: oh nvm I think I misunderstood, you guys are talking about a cutoff, ignore me lol

Even if someone in the 3rd quartile was in the lower end of the quartile =>51st percental. that means that he/she scored the median score #1 ( in a pool of about 150 candidates).

scoring the median on the last day of the casper (early october) would yield a median score #2 (pool of 1000 candidates). the law of great numbers clearly gives convergence between the two medians. (of course, given that both pool are similar and that none is intrinsically better than the other) the two medians must converge (and if the sample are very similar, which I think is not the case frankly, the entire 2 distribution should be converging in every point).

So your quartiles, given these conditions, are quite conserved.

additionally. my calculations give the following. in order to be below -1.5 SD score (1 tailed frequency distribution). you would need to be below the 8th percentile. this would be too tight. given that about 14% get reviewed. I would say that the cutoff is -1SD (rather -1.5D).

I have attached a quartile crosswalk to normal distribution below.

sorry, stats are literally my job.

Untitled.png

18 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

Even if someone in the 3rd quartile was in the lower end of the quartile =>51st percental. that means that he/she scored the median score #1 ( in a pool of about 150 candidates).

scoring the median on the last day of the casper (early october) would yield a median score #2 (pool of 1000 candidates). the law of great numbers clearly gives convergence between the two medians. (of course, given that both pool are similar and that none is intrinsically better than the other) the two medians must converge (and if the sample are very similar, which I think is not the case frankly, the entire 2 distribution should be converging in every point).

additionally. my calculations give the following. in order to be below -1.5 SD score (1 tailed frequency distribution). you would need to be below the 8th percentile. this would be too tight. given that about 14% get reviewed. I would say that the cutoff is -1SD (rather -1.5D).

Untitled.png

Sweet, thanks for this, stats are super NOT my thing :lol: 

40 minutes ago, Med201920 said:

Untitled.png

oooouuuuf nice interpretation! 

47 minutes ago, capoo said:

which might not be the case, not everyone doing the casper on a given date will apply to med McGill so the actual candidate pool at McGill (and their average result) might be different than the general casper pool

no big difference though.

if you are 6f2 tall you are in the top 10% of men, almost no matter where you go (unless it is the NBA). this is why I am saying that I expect inter-day changes to be slight but the difference between the casper pool and the applicant to slightly higher. so far, even those in the first quartile are applying. and if I were them, I would apply too (because most didn't know there results before hand.

the second part of my comment is mostly a speculation. but the first part cannot change that much (it's not like the first day of the casper is general population and the last day is NBA level).