Premed 101 Forums

IP status verified? or not?

Med201920

IP verified: Yes (GL)

when were you verified? Nov 19

Casper Quartile: 4th

First letter of your name:   (in order to check if it's done alphabetically)

L

Situation #: 1

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : yes

were you invited last year? : No, ranked 333th and about 270 were invited

Are you guys speculating on the date of verification would imply a chance to be invited for interviews? I know i'm on the low end here for academics (3.80/4.0 GPA) but compensate w/ M.Sc. and strong c.v. 

25 minutes ago, Laly20 said:

IP verified: Yes (GL)

when were you verified? Nov 19

Casper Quartile: 4th

First letter of your name:   (in order to check if it's done alphabetically)

L

Situation #: 1

if reapplicant,

were you verified last year? : yes

were you invited last year? : No, ranked 333th and about 270 were invited

Are you guys speculating on the date of verification would imply a chance to be invited for interviews? I know i'm on the low end here for academics (3.80/4.0 GPA) but compensate w/ M.Sc. and strong c.v. 

Nope. Je crois que l’ordre de vérification c’est selon la situation que tu as marqué, dans ton cas situation 1. Je suis situation 7 si je me trompe pas et j’ai été vérifié en décembre (même chose l’année passé) 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:45 PM, Novax Djokovic said:

what does it mean if we still haven't been verified?

I am the original thread initiator. I have hypothesised that verification is conditional upon having a casper above cutoff as well as having the proper 90 credits (or in completion) to be eligible. 

My analysis of the current data suggest that the cutoff for Casper is around the 16th percentile. Which mean half of the first quartile will be systemically eliminated.

Could confirm your quartile? What is you GPA?

On 1/15/2022 at 3:54 PM, Laly20 said:

No effect i think.  They have over 1000 candidates so i guess not everyone is gonna be on the same day. But the verification is important. That's my theory at least

On 12/6/2021 at 8:35 PM, Med201920 said:

Even if someone in the 3rd quartile was in the lower end of the quartile =>51st percental. that means that he/she scored the median score #1 ( in a pool of about 150 candidates).

scoring the median on the last day of the casper (early october) would yield a median score #2 (pool of 1000 candidates). the law of great numbers clearly gives convergence between the two medians. (of course, given that both pool are similar and that none is intrinsically better than the other) the two medians must converge (and if the sample are very similar, which I think is not the case frankly, the entire 2 distribution should be converging in every point).

So your quartiles, given these conditions, are quite conserved.

additionally. my calculations give the following. in order to be below -1.5 SD score (1 tailed frequency distribution). you would need to be below the 8th percentile. this would be too tight. given that about 14% get reviewed. I would say that the cutoff is -1SD (rather -1.5D).

I have attached a quartile crosswalk to normal distribution below.

sorry, stats are literally my job.

Untitled.png

Hey, I got question for you if you do not mind. Are the quartiles different from the z score that the schools are sent? If not, would it make more since to write the Casper sooner, as there would be less people to compete with? 

I feel that the quartiles are how you compared against those who wrote the exam on the same day as you, where as the  zscore is how you compare against every person that has ever written the exam. Is this correct? 

14 minutes ago, Bawgg said:

Hey, I got question for you if you do not mind. Are the quartiles different from the z score that the schools are sent? If not, would it make more since to write the Casper sooner, as there would be less people to compete with? 

I feel that the quartiles are how you compared against those who wrote the exam on the same day as you, where as the  z-score is how you compare against every person that has ever written the exam. Is this correct? 

The thing is, the schools do not get the quartiles, they receive the z-scores, basically quartiles do not mean much as we are examining the ii waves that are coming out from other schools that require casper! In this cycle, someone in 3rd quartile was ranked in the 40th-60th percentile in Manitoba, so its really school specific 

https://bemoacademicconsulting.com/blog/how-is-casper-test-scored

How CASPer scores are released to schools

While students receive their quartile scores, the schools receive z-scores. Just like a quartiles score, a z-score tells the schools where your score stands in comparison to all CASPer takers that took the test on the same day and time as you. The z-score shows how many “points” you are away from the mean score, i.e., where you are in the distribution of scores across all candidates. For example, if your z-score is 0, it means that your score is the same as the mean. If your score is +1 that means that you scored higher than the mean by one standard deviation point. A score of -1 would indicate that you scored lower than the mean by one standard deviation point. So instead of sorting you into quartiles that indicate how your score stands in percentile comparison to other quartiles, the z-score simply shows where you stand statistically in comparison to other test-takers.

5 hours ago, Bawgg said:

I feel that the quartiles are how you compared against those who wrote the exam on the same day as you, where as the  zscore is how you compare against every person that has ever written the exam. Is this correct? 

It would not make sense to compete against 150 rather than 1500. It would only make sense if the distribution of the scores is not normal. Given they already stated that they deliver a score in the form of a z-score; we can assume the grades to be normally distributed (otherwise the z-score is invalid).

Therefore if you are average among 150 you will systematically be average among 1500. And will be average in 1.5 million candidates.

Think of it in term of height for a better intuition.

Example:

If you are 6foot8 tall. You are in the top 5% of men. No matter the sample size. You will always rank among the top 5%. And your corresponding z-score will be 1.65 (not 1.96..because it's a one tailed distribution).

Your second statement is wrong. Both quartile and z score are positions on a distribution. As long as the sample size is big enough your position will not Change. meaning if you scored median=mean (for a normal distribution). You will always be at the mean no matter what (as long as the test is assumed representative and sample compared to is large enough).

PS:. I do stats as a full time job ;)

Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions. I have attached a picture below so people can understand better the relationship between quartiles and z scores

Untitled.png.8ac0c09598c0d3b1625a9694792e6601.png

Edited by Med201920
Forgot something

5 hours ago, veromedico said:

The thing is, the schools do not get the quartiles, they receive the z-scores, basically quartiles do not mean much as we are examining the ii waves that are coming out from other schools that require casper! In this cycle, someone in 3rd quartile was ranked in the 40th-60th percentile in Manitoba, so its really school specific 

https://bemoacademicconsulting.com/blog/how-is-casper-test-scored

How CASPer scores are released to schools

While students receive their quartile scores, the schools receive z-scores. Just like a quartiles score, a z-score tells the schools where your score stands in comparison to all CASPer takers that took the test on the same day and time as you. The z-score shows how many “points” you are away from the mean score, i.e., where you are in the distribution of scores across all candidates. For example, if your z-score is 0, it means that your score is the same as the mean. If your score is +1 that means that you scored higher than the mean by one standard deviation point. A score of -1 would indicate that you scored lower than the mean by one standard deviation point. So instead of sorting you into quartiles that indicate how your score stands in percentile comparison to other quartiles, the z-score simply shows where you stand statistically in comparison to other test-takers.

The school specificity problem is once again explained by normal distribution and bias. A school that is highly competitive will attract mostly candidates that scored super high (4th quartile) and we can assume that those in the first will not apply (which is wrong..because I know a lot of folks in that scenario).

In this case. You are right to say that it is school specific for some will chose to not apply for a highly competitive school and therefore even a fourth quartile might not cut it as most applicants will be coming for 4th quartile of their specific days. This will heavily skew the distribution to the right side. 

However this does NOT apply for quebec as we have noted through the years that most if not all students apply to all 4 schools. This means that the normality is maintained and therefore quartile still hold very strongly predictive value.

6 hours ago, MDee2B said:

Not in the NBA! 

That's Exactly my point. The NBA =applying to med school. The pool is pretty much the same for all 4 schools (part from McGill which has less Francophones).

Unless we compare with a pool that applies for Harvard (they would be the equivalent of comparing general population to NBA)