Premed 101 Forums

Sask to start introducing private surgeries, could this help with the surgical job market?

MasterDoc

On 12/14/2021 at 8:25 AM, Pakoon said:

If so we move 1 step closer to an American health care system ( although I think Australia works on a similar system of both private and public) 

After that comes more scope creep from mid-levels

Most healthcare systems (including the ones that do better than ours) are 2 tier systems or have some sort of private option.

On 12/14/2021 at 2:45 AM, MasterDoc said:

It looks like Sask wants to start doing private surgeries: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/sask-to-fund-private-surgeries-in-attempt-to-slash-massive-backlog-1.6279486

Could other provinces follow suit and allow for more private surgical centers to open up? If so, would the surgical job market improve?

By a bit but not by much. I honestly have doubts that there is that much pent up demand that it would fund more than the careers of maybe 2-3 more surgeons in Sask which doesn't even come close to how many we are training a year. 

22 hours ago, Edict said:

I honestly have doubts that there is that much pent up demand

There's currently a backlog of 35,000 surgeries in Sask alone, and it's growing with further COVID shutdowns. If that's not pent up demand in a province of 1.1 million people, then I don't know what is.

The country is growing older as well and public coffers are strained. I think there is  a lot of pent up demand right now and it will only increase. I don't think the public system will be able to keep up.

• 1 month later...

This is not privatization of health care. This is moving certain procedures to private facilities that will be paid by government funds. This is the model in Alberta. Essentially the government allots contracts and are able to better control costs than in the hospital. For example, cataracts don’t need to be done at the hospital. You contract then to a facility that will be paid a fixed amount per surgery they perform. This covers equipment and personnel costs. The surgeon also gets paid the same code as they would in hospital. Importantly the patient does not pay anything. This is changing the delivery model to something more efficient, but it is not private health care. The media is poor at Differentiating and the public is even worse. 

1 hour ago, Aetherus said:

This is not privatization of health care. This is moving certain procedures to private facilities that will be paid by government funds. This is the model in Alberta. Essentially the government allots contracts and are able to better control costs than in the hospital. For example, cataracts don’t need to be done at the hospital. You contract then to a facility that will be paid a fixed amount per surgery they perform. This covers equipment and personnel costs. The surgeon also gets paid the same code as they would in hospital. Importantly the patient does not pay anything. This is changing the delivery model to something more efficient, but it is not private health care. The media is poor at Differentiating and the public is even worse. 

haven't read that article yet - ha, that is next - but if true that is just Canadian healthcare as per normal. Most of it is done in private businesses that directly bill the government.