Premed 101 Forums

Car necessary for pre-clerkship & everyday life at distributed sites?

In the process of filling out site preferences - how necessary is it to have a car for IMP and SMP? I've heard that for VFMP it is possible to get by without a car for M1/2, but I was just wondering how feasible it is given transit options etc in Victoria and Kelowna. 

Also would anyone be able to provide insight on what the general routine/everyday life is like? E.g. Ive heard from older peers at VFMP that MWF you have classes & labs on campus, and Tues/Thurs you have clinical skills at the hospital or family practice visits. Do distributed sites follow this same schedule? I'm mainly concerned about being placed in remote locations for these clinical sessions and not having access to a car etc. 

Also would love to hear some experiences from anyone originally from Vancouver/the lower mainland and how its been being a student at IMP/SMP! :) (Random questions - what are research/shadowing opportunities like for M1/2s at these sites?)

I'm at VFMP, so I can only answer some of your questions. Even at VFMP, it is nice to have a car for Years 1 and 2. Your Family Practice placements can be a 45-60 away drive at any site. You can get away without a car but it makes life easier to have one. 
Distributed sites follow the same schedule you mentioned for year 1. The Year two schedule is different,  you'll have FP/Clin skills on Wednesday/Friday afternoons (and may have a short time to commute between school and hospital/clinic). 
There are good shadowing and research opportunities at all of the sites. VFMP has the most variety but also has way more students. 
Pick where you want to live and know all the sites are good and will provide you with good education and opportunities.

Im committed to going carless (OOP and poor), and so far things have worked out fine even beyond preclerkship. I know several other students (4, carless from M1 until clerkship) in the same situation and we're holding up. The crappy thing is when you get unlucky and get super far placements during clerkship or preclerk FM clinics (UBC residence to Whiterock was my worst). I would imagine most people would, statistically, have it fine.

• 3 weeks later...

SMP 2022 here.

Yes absolutely you need a car. The kelowna transit is absolute garbage. UBC Campus is near the airport so most people dont live within walking distance. If you live with others some of my classmates carpooled. For family practice one afternoon a week you could be in West Kelowna or Vernon so definitely get a car :)

SMP 2025 here. I do not have a car and have been using the public transport. I haven't had any issues so far. It can take a while but I find it's good exercise and I can study on the bus. Some days I get a ride with some of my classmates (they are usually extremely nice and very accomodating so I wouldn't worry about that aspect).

The transport is good except that you may have to wait a bit for the bus. Also, grocery shopping can be a challenge using the bus because wait time are super long and bus stops are infrequent. Other than that, it is definitely feasible.