Premed 101 Forums

New interview selection criteria starting 2022/2023

Dal has recently updated their website as follows; 

Due to the increasing application numbers and limited interview capacity, beginning in the 2022/2023 application cycle, interview selection will be determined by pre-interview score calculated by 50% GPA, 25% MCAT, 25% CASPer. 

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/application-process/interview.html

Thoughts?

On 2/7/2022 at 8:07 PM, marcoyolo said:

Dal has recently updated their website as follows; 

Due to the increasing application numbers and limited interview capacity, beginning in the 2022/2023 application cycle, interview selection will be determined by pre-interview score calculated by 50% GPA, 25% MCAT, 25% CASPer. 

https://medicine.dal.ca/departments/core-units/admissions/application-process/interview.html

Thoughts?

Personally a little worried by this. I graduated 10 years ago with a 3.7 GPA by Dal's calculations. It's not stellar, but up to this point I was hopeful as I got two interviews. I'm happy with a 513 MCAT and my work experience/EC's are pretty good. I think I really improved my essay as well. I don't mean to whine, but I'm worried that the reduced pandemic course load requirements are just going to inflate applicants' GPAs and kick me out of the running for an interview. This means the rest of my file doesn't get looked at. Oh well, hopefully this is the year!

On 2/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, McCoy said:

Personally a little worried by this. I graduated 10 years ago with a 3.7 GPA by Dal's calculations. It's not stellar, but up to this point I was hopeful as I got two interviews. I'm happy with a 513 MCAT and my work experience/EC's are pretty good. I think I really improved my essay as well. I don't mean to whine, but I'm worried that the reduced pandemic course load requirements are just going to inflate applicants' GPAs and kick me out of the running for an interview. This means the rest of my file doesn't get looked at. Oh well, hopefully this is the year!

x

3 hours ago, McCoy said:

I'm in a similar spot. Slightly better MCAT, but a worse GPA. I suspect this year is my last chance based on grade inflation and the weight Dal is placing on GPA. Hopefully we both get good news in March. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 1:59 PM, SweetDreamsAreMadeofWhat said:

I had to submit my proof of PR by March 11..which I did not do because Immigration Canada said that they cannot expedite my application..so I am out :(

Will probably get my freaking PR in a couple weeks when it won't matter anymore