Premed 101 Forums

MDCM Admission stats clarification

notacliche

Hi all,

By looking at the 2021 profile, I am trying to understand what the general admissions stats are for the MDCM program, but am a bit confused by a discrepancy between the 'Admissions by the numbers' statistics (144 admitted if you add all minus Med-P) versus 'Fall 2021 MDCM Class' profile (208 admitted). 

What I am ultimately trying to determine is the admission rate for interviewees in the MDCM category QC University cohort. Is it ~117/271 ... or is it greater? 

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be super curious!

17 minutes ago, notacliche said:

Hi all,

By looking at the 2021 profile, I am trying to understand what the general admissions stats are for the MDCM program, but am a bit confused by a discrepancy between the 'Admissions by the numbers' statistics (144 admitted if you add all minus Med-P) versus 'Fall 2021 MDCM Class' profile (208 admitted). 

What I am ultimately trying to determine is the admission rate for interviewees in the MDCM category QC University cohort. Is it ~117/271 ... or is it greater? 

If anyone could shed any light on this, I'd be super curious!

When I asked my rank last year, they sent a few stats about the admissions. 41,3% admitted+30,7% waitlisted post-interviews. So I guess you are correct. Basically, I think we can estimate 45 to 55% are admitted post interviews.

Screenshot_20220211-095140_Drive.jpg

3 minutes ago, notacliche said:

Great - thanks, @Laly20! So, ~117 offers sent + ~35 waitlisted? (I saw that last year that there wasn't much WL movement; only about 15?) So, there are  about ~117+~15 (~132) opportunities. This gives MDCM QC applicants ~48% chance... interesting :) I'd play that lottery :P

31% of 271 is 84 people ;)

Estimating 50% that get admitted of people interviewed seems fair

52 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

This is exactly the info I was wanting to find the other day, so thank you for all of this lol! Do we know if the number of people admitted to MDCM IP this cycle will be roughly the same as last year? Or, at least not less?

I'd say it might go up very slightly (less than 10) because QC government is allowing more candidates in med schools throughout the province.

In this press release (https://www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/ministere/salle-de-presse/communique-2831/), it is stated that 915 were allowed in 2021-2022 and 969 are going to get into med school for 2022-2023. That's basically a 54 raise divided by 4 schools and possibly 2 "main streams" (CEGEP vs University). Not sure how Med-P and premed at UdeM is counted though

The applicant statistics for McGill have been updated for this cycle. It seems that they invited less candidates this year for interviews (243 vs 271 from last year) although there was significantly more applicants this year too (1420 vs 1283).

If we assume that the QC University Cohort still gets 117 spots + 15 WL (or maybe slightly more), we areat almost 55% of getting an offer post interview :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 

14 hours ago, 1997_axrlt said:

The applicant statistics for McGill have been update for this cycle. It seems that they invited less candidates this year for interviews (243 vs 271 from last year) although there was significantly more applicants this year too (1420 vs 1283).

If we assume that the QC University Cohort still gets 117 spots + 15 WL (or maybe slightly more), we are almost at almost 55% of getting an offer post interview :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 

I'm confused, why would they invite less people for more spots lol

Same question too @Laly20. Might have to do with what @medonedayyyyyhad noticed in the following thread a few months ago:

They had noticed that the McGill website (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/requirements/general-requirements) indicates that the university only anticipates 80 seats for the applicants in the "Quebec University" category for the 2021-2022 admission cycle. I had replied that during previous years, they McGill had had the habit of saying that they anticipated 80 seats, but of ending up accepting around 117-120 students in the same category. Let's say that I hope that that suggestion was right, and that @1997_axrlt's remark is too. Otherwise, the fact that they are interviewing less applicants might mean that they intend to accept less applicants :(

Hi everyone! 

If you scroll down to "key numbers and statistics", the anticipated number of seats for Fall 2022 is 117 (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u)! I am unsure as to why they are interviewing less applicants (may be related to resources), but there is one less day of interviews this year (last year they had 5 days of interviews vs. 4 this year). 

Hope this helps :)

22 minutes ago, medonedayyyyy said:

Hi everyone! 

If you scroll down to "key numbers and statistics", the anticipated number of seats for Fall 2022 is 117 (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/roq/md-roq-u)! I am unsure as to why they are interviewing less applicants (may be related to resources), but there is one less day of interviews this year (last year they had 5 days of interviews vs. 4 this year). 

Hope this helps :)

All of the stats from there are just direct copies of what it was last year (like # applicants too) so I don’t think it’s necessarily what it’ll be this year too but we’ll see!!

On 2/12/2022 at 3:01 PM, medonedayyyyy said:

There is also a document (https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/md-roq-u_202209_english.pdf) that anticipates 117 for Fall 2022 and then uses additional data from the previous years below it as a reference. Best way to find out is to confirm directly with admissions.

This document is more reliable.

The 84 has been there for year (and has never been updated).

Let's remember that the number of seats does not equal the number of offers sent

number of offers sent = # seats + offers rejected by students + offers deferred to subsequent year - offer deferred from previous year

we already know that the number of seats was bumped by 20 in 2020 and 3 in 2021 and will be bumped again by at least 10 this year.

here is my explanation:

After Covid hit (regardless of politics) finally the ministry allowed itself to do the right thing and train more people.

total allocation for quebec for 2020 was 71   (McGill got 20 of those)

total allocation for quebec for 2021 was 14 (Mcgill got 3 of those).

total allocation for quebec for 2022 is 54 (Mcgill will have at least 10 of those)

so if we calculate now. 84+20 + 3 + 10 =  117

remember to remove 5 RSPP and 1 indigenous and about 2 QC Interternation medical graduate (QC IMG)=> 109.

if we consider that 109 is the real number of seat of QC IP MDCM and the waitlist movement will be about 10. then the total number of offers should sit around 119.

2 hours ago, Med201920 said:

This document is more reliable.

The 84 has been there for year (and has never been updated).

Let's remember that the number of seats does not equal the number of offers sent

number of offers sent = # seats + offers rejected by students + offers deferred to subsequent year - offer deferred from previous year

we already know that the number of seats was bumped by 20 in 2020 and 3 in 2021 and will be bumped again by at least 10 this year.

here is my explanation:

After Covid hit (regardless of politics) finally the ministry allowed itself to do the right thing and train more people.

total allocation for quebec for 2020 was 71   (McGill got 20 of those)

total allocation for quebec for 2021 was 14 (Mcgill got 3 of those).

total allocation for quebec for 2022 is 54 (Mcgill will have at least 10 of those)

so if we calculate now. 84+20 + 3 + 10 =  117

remember to remove 5 RSPP and 1 indigenous and about 2 QC Interternation medical graduate (QC IMG)=> 109.

if we consider that 109 is the real number of seat of QC IP MDCM and the waitlist movement will be about 10. then the total number of offers should sit around 119.

Okay, now pls do your magical math on the OOP peepz LOL. THANK YOU!!

On 2/11/2022 at 6:10 PM, 1997_axrlt said:

The applicant statistics for McGill have been updated for this cycle. It seems that they invited less candidates this year for interviews (243 vs 271 from last year) although there was significantly more applicants this year too (1420 vs 1283).

If we assume that the QC University Cohort still gets 117 spots + 15 WL (or maybe slightly more), we areat almost 55% of getting an offer post interview :) GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 

Where did you find the number of applicants for this cycle?

26 minutes ago, Romina said:

Where did you find the number of applicants for this cycle?

it's on the McGill website (for previous year. you can check WebArchives.org)

addition info about the decrease of # of interviewees.

it has to do with the recent publication from McMaster (Geoffrey R. Norman et al). his is pretty much the father of Casper.

his recent publication show quite strong correlation between Casper and MMI (0.67). I supposed this is why they don't want to waste more money interviewing more and relying on the currently accepted metrics (GPA + Casper + CV). it's a good filter .additionally the casper cutoff is very low  (16th percentile). so I guess it's fair.

I also foresee a bigger role for casper in the future (pretty much the same weight as for McMasters)

also, don't forget that interviews cost a lot of money. in Dore et al 2016. the interviews estimated cost is quite high (meals and payments for the raters and actors..etc). it's only logical to reduce the cost. otherwise McGill would have no choice than to transfer that cost to the applicant by increassing the application fees

here is quote from another paper from the same guy "There are 4 people on each interview team,so each personal interview requires 4 person hours per applicant; the entire interview programme therefore requires 1600 person hours in total. Of these, 550 are typically faculty hours, the cost of which amounts to an estimated $27 500 per annum. The use of other non-cognitive tools, particularly the  simulated tutorial, increases total interviewer time to about 1800 hours and faculty cost to about $32 000"

1 hour ago, Med201920 said:

it's on the McGill website (for previous year. you can check WebArchives.org)

addition info about the decrease of # of interviewees.

it has to do with the recent publication from McMaster (Geoffrey R. Norman et al). his is pretty much the father of Casper.

his recent publication show quite strong correlation between Casper and MMI (0.67). I supposed this is why they don't want to waste more money interviewing more and relying on the currently accepted metrics (GPA + Casper + CV). it's a good filter .additionally the casper cutoff is very low  (16th percentile). so I guess it's fair.

I also foresee a bigger role for casper in the future (pretty much the same weight as for McMasters)

also, don't forget that interviews cost a lot of money. in Dore et al 2016. the interviews estimated cost is quite high (meals and payments for the raters and actors..etc). it's only logical to reduce the cost. otherwise McGill would have no choice than to transfer that cost to the applicant by increassing the application fees

here is quote from another paper from the same guy "There are 4 people on each interview team,so each personal interview requires 4 person hours per applicant; the entire interview programme therefore requires 1600 person hours in total. Of these, 550 are typically faculty hours, the cost of which amounts to an estimated $27 500 per annum. The use of other non-cognitive tools, particularly the  simulated tutorial, increases total interviewer time to about 1800 hours and faculty cost to about $32 000"

this gives a lot of hope for people getting interviews, yay!

FYI from the campus selection form post-MMI: "The Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux du Québec restricts the number of seats for medical programs: 24 in Outaouais and 183 in Montreal for 2022 (includes Quebec, Canadian and International residents). Approximately 15 to 20 seats in Outaouais and 50 seats in Montreal are filled by students promoted admitted via the Med-P Qualifying Year; the remainder are filled by newly admitted candidates entering with a university degree."

On 2/14/2022 at 3:23 PM, Med201920 said:

his recent publication show quite strong correlation between Casper and MMI (0.67). 

That's interesting, @Med201920! Could you provide a link to that publication? I'd be curious to read it :)

2 minutes ago, Med-dream101 said:

Here, j'ai trouvé mes stats de lan passé si ca peut aider someone :) collégienne last year :)

20220216_094811.jpg

Wow l'approche est très différente avec le contingent collégial. Beaucoup plus d'invitations aux entrevues mais beaucoup moins de places post-entrevues avec une liste d'attente pratiquement interminable :o