Premed 101 Forums

Regular Force Military: When to write the MCAT?

I am currently in the Air Force as an aerospace control operator. I'm thinking about applying via the MMTP, but am struggling to find time to write the MCAT. Anyone else have this issue before? How did you eventually do it? I don't think studying part-time over like 8 months is very feasible, as my job is a bit stressful.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:58 PM, drkoolguy said:

I am currently in the Air Force as an aerospace control operator. I'm thinking about applying via the MMTP, but am struggling to find time to write the MCAT. Anyone else have this issue before? How did you eventually do it? I don't think studying part-time over like 8 months is very feasible, as my job is a bit stressful.

I can’t relate to being in the military. But I was working a stressful full time job when I studied for the MCAT. What I ended up doing was cramming part-time intensely for about 10 weeks - 2-4 hours every weeknight (except one per week, which was my ‘fun’ night), on Saturdays I did a full length practice exam, and then at least a half day Sundays (5-6 hours) to review my practice exam and study more. I did one of the Kaplan books every 1-2 weeks, starting with the things I knew the least about and working towards things I had taken courses in. 

It sucked, but it worked. It was a short enough period of time that I felt like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that I didn’t really have time to forget the things I studied at the beginning. I had to self teach myself more than half the content, and I only had time to review or learn most topics once outside if the context of practice exams. A lot of the material on the MCAT is not nearly as detailed as what you might need to know for a university course on the same topic - so once you figure out what to study, it’s less content then it seems like it would be. The weekly practice exam helped a lot with helping me focus on the right stuff.