Premed 101 Forums

Call stipends

3 hours ago, Masterpizza said:

Is the call stipend for the usual 1:4 call or is it for any additional call on top of that?

The stipend is typically per call shift worked. Depending on your speciality and service you may or may not actually do 1:4 each month - you’ll get paid for the shifts you actually do. 

If you don't want to go insane looking at the small number (ha!) it is probably best to not think of the stipend to do with the actual time spent working - you are on a salary for the year which includes the requirement you do call. That salary includes the full income for doing all aspects of the job. 

The stipend's original goal was not to provide extra income for working more but rather to pay for cost related to having to do the shift - for instance the stipend would cover the cost of food on shift, transportation there by cab and back etc. For that purpose it does actually equate to a reasonable amount. If anyone put it as an actual income amount for doing up to 24-30 hours of work in some cases it is beyond insulting ha. I made the mistake of calculating it once and noticed the the tea I just bought to keep me awake for the next 2 hours required me to work those two hours to earn enough post tax to buy said tea. I think I was actually 7 cents short. While the rates have gone since then I still think that way madness lies :)

Edited by rmorelan

3 hours ago, rmorelan said:

If you don't want to go insane looking at the small number (ha!) it is probably best to not thing of the stipend to do with the actual time spent working - you are on a salary for the year which includes the requirement you do call. That salary includes the full income for doing all aspects of the job. 

The stipend's original goal was not to provide extra income for working more but rather to pay for cost related to having to do the shift - for instance the stipend would cover the cost of food on shift, transportation there by cab and back etc. For that purpose it does actually equate to a reasonable amount. If anyone put it as an actual income amount for doing up to 24-30 hours of work in some cases it is beyond insulting ha. I made the mistake of calculating it once and noticed the the tea I just bought to keep me awake for the next 2 hours required me to work those two hours to earn enough post tax to buy said tea. I think I was actually 7 cents short. While the rates have gone since then I still think that way madness lies :)

Love this! It's actually a really good way to think about the stipends. It's true that residents get salaries and have to do call anyways, so stipends are actually little bonuses.