Premed 101 Forums

2022 Spring CCFP exam HELP

FM R2 from western Canada here feeling all kinds of nerves about the CCFP exam after this past weekend. I ran out of time during my SAMP - several questions were blank/complete guesses. I have just finished my SOO on Sunday and I feel disheartened. I think I failed several stations by missing entire sections of each station altogether. Does anyone have specific information about the pass rate for SAMPs and SOOs. Is it true that 10% of all test takers fail at least one part of the exam?? :(

On 5/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, docintraining9 said:

FM R2 from western Canada here feeling all kinds of nerves about the CCFP exam after this past weekend. I ran out of time during my SAMP - several questions were blank/complete guesses. I have just finished my SOO on Sunday and I feel disheartened. I think I failed several stations by missing entire sections of each station altogether. Does anyone have specific information about the pass rate for SAMPs and SOOs. Is it true that 10% of all test takers fail at least one part of the exam?? :(

Breathe, many people feel the same way as you. Time will tell how things work out, just focus on last few months of training.  Pass rates are very high, especially if you are a CMG. SOO is where a higher proportion of test-takes fail, less so SAMPs.  10% of all test -takers seems a bit high  but could be reasonable - last stats i heard informally(this is dated), is that most fails come from IMGs taking the exam, and that CMGs typically have >95% pass rate for the exam, with those that fail being mostly due to the SOO.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, JohnGrisham said:

Breathe, many people feel the same way as you. Time will tell how things work out, just focus on last few months of training.  Pass rates are very high, especially if you are a CMG. SOO is where a higher proportion of test-takes fail, less so SAMPs.  10% of all test -takers seems a bit high  but could be reasonable - last stats i heard informally(this is dated), is that most fails come from IMGs taking the exam, and that CMGs typically have >95% pass rate for the exam, with those that fail being mostly due to the SOO.

On 5/4/2022 at 8:53 PM, Intrepid86 said:

I suggest you simply wait for the results. You may have done better than you think.

Thanks for the advice! I have an academic contract in the works for July in Ontario, and was told a requirement to start would be pass the CFPC exam (no exceptions). With the SOO, I missed many sections and was unable to properly go through one or both problems in more than one station - I realize all I can do is wait, but I just have a very bad feeling that I will be one of the few who failed, especially since the SOO is what gets most residents to fail. 

Just finding it hard to wait and starting the process to move, train, etc, for the new job since I won't have results by the time I'm already there. Would suck to have done all this, only to find out that they may go with another resident. Just a sticky situation.. 

2 hours ago, docintraining9 said:

Thanks for the advice! I have an academic contract in the works for July in Ontario, and was told a requirement to start would be pass the CFPC exam (no exceptions). With the SOO, I missed many sections and was unable to properly go through one or both problems in more than one station - I realize all I can do is wait, but I just have a very bad feeling that I will be one of the few who failed, especially since the SOO is what gets most residents to fail. 

Just finding it hard to wait and starting the process to move, train, etc, for the new job since I won't have results by the time I'm already there. Would suck to have done all this, only to find out that they may go with another resident. Just a sticky situation.. 

That's strange they would be so strict about it. You'll have a license to practice,  so I dont see why they couldn't just work with you..to make it work. I dont think they would suddenly have another resident ready to go in the short amount of time anyways etc

• 11 months later...
On 5/7/2022 at 11:48 AM, docintraining9 said:

hey there,  just wondering how it went for you and how are you doing now?

I just finished my SAMP exam tonight and have been ruminating about my answers all day….ugh :unsure:

On 4/13/2023 at 4:04 AM, Butterfly_ said:

hey there,  just wondering how it went for you and how are you doing now?

I just finished my SAMP exam tonight and have been ruminating about my answers all day….ugh :unsure:

Looks like I wasn't the only one looking up old threads on PreMed101 re: SAMPs and SOOs ... wish I didn't live with anxiety lol

On 4/17/2023 at 6:11 PM, ActionPotential said:

@HeroX37Yes, but do we know generally what is required to pass? Are people passing this exam with <50% because of the bell curve? Or is the bell curve working in the opposite way, where you need >75% to pass because majority of people do well?

Honestly, not sure. The exam is kinda vague enough that I don't know how people are scoring either. I felt like it was an exam largely based on can you guess what I'm thinking / answer how you want me to rather than my medical knowledge.