Premed 101 Forums

I think it's game over, unfortunately. A massive red flag for CaRMS. 

Red Flags & The Online Discourse Shaping How We Date In 2022 | StyleCaster

ps. I don't actually know. I don't think it's a big deal at all. You passed it, so who cares? Other med schools allow you to re-take whatever exam, and it only shows as a "pass". Honestly, don't sweat it. You may be asked, or you may not be. Just have a good answer prepared.

pps. btw just noticed your username... probably the saddest username on this forum :(

No clue but doubt it's significant. I would be more worried about negative comments in clerkship than anything. You can also always explain the situation if it is asked about. In a worst case scenario you can also discuss it in the personal statement. But I think it'll be fine without it. I can't imagine it being the difference between getting into a program where they want you already or not. Might affect getting interviews, theoretically.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:05 PM, Bad Childhood said:

Has anyone come across a situation where they failed the final exam for a unit/block in pre-clerkship and had to write a supplemental exam during the summer? The transcript would show 'P' (supplemental) which basically means it was due to a fail without explicitly saying so. 

Apparently, at my school, failing a block exam in clerkship would allow you to rewrite and you can pass without 'supplemental' written on your transcript (in contrast to pre-clerkship).

Does anyone know how having a Pass with supplemental in pre-clerkship is going to look for residency application? Does it put you at a disadvantage? Would they ask about this during interviews?

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Thanks.

I just matched and had to write the equivalent of a supplemental examination in my pre-clerkship. This was brought up in only one interview where the question was simply to understand what that meant and it was surprisingly phrased in a positive way along the lines of : we see that you have succeeded during your pre-clerkship despite a difficult situation you have encountered during Block XYZ, could you tell us about what you learned from that challenge.

To answer your question : It will not change anything at all. 

Best of luck!

This whole idea of judging people who need supplemental help and/or remediation is so stupid... 

The whole point is for those experiences to make us better and if there was a weakness, we'd fix it. 

I'm not embarrassed to say I've failed exams before and getting the additional help I needed helped me become better and recognize what I didn't know. It didn't affect my match at all. 

You'd be surprised how many people had failed exams or needed supplemental education in any medical school 

- G

What are you trying to match into?

if the program description says they look for applicants with a "superior academic record" then you're in a deep hole.

if the program description says they look for applicants with an "acceptable academic record" then you're still in the game.