Premed 101 Forums

NRMP Match move to become ahead of CaRMS match

https://www.nrmp.org/about/news/2022/08/nrmp-call-for-public-comment-regarding-consideration-of-a-two-phase-main-residency-match/

This could bring back the return of Canadian medical students applying to the US for residency, leaving Canada as a backup. Thoughts? Even IMG status beginning in 2026 won't affect Canadians that much because the US doesn't use a quota system. 

I don't believe it's going to result in any significant increase in CMGs applying for US residencies. There will always be some people swinging for the Ivy League fences though, and some who are truly concerned about not matching anywhere, or not matching to exactly what they want here. Those folks may be more likely to enter the NRMP.

It might also matter to Canadians studying abroad who hope to return home for residency. Many years ago when I matched in CaRMS, I was automatically withdrawn from the NRMP. If the NRMP were first, my future could have been entirely different.