Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

4 minutes ago, Chxnfu said:

Thanks for sharing. I’m number 31 on the waitlist at Mac. Hopeful it moves. But likely, I’m number 60 something based on what you’re saying here. 

if my position on the waitlist moved up - my friend moved up one or two spaces - what does that mean ? I’m sorry I’m confused by how it works.

I think it could mean one of two things. 1) they exhausted the offers and are beginning to move onto waitlist or 2) someone higher than your friend on the waitlist accepted another offer and were subsequently removed from the waitlist.

To note that its typical for them to move on to waitlists, for example McMaster moved into the 50s and possibly even more last year on the waitlist (not offers). You still are 31 not 60 on the waitlist.

I know its hard to believe that people would turn down an offer others are dying for but realistically schools have like a 40% success rate on acceptances. Alot of students are exceptional students who get offers to multiple schools and even multiple disciplines. 

How did your friend know they moved on the list? what school?

9 minutes ago, rickpt2023 said:

I think it could mean one of two things. 1) they exhausted the offers and are beginning to move onto waitlist or 2) someone higher than your friend on the waitlist accepted another offer and were subsequently removed from the waitlist.

To note that its typical for them to move on to waitlists, for example McMaster moved into the 50s and possibly even more last year on the waitlist (not offers). You still are 31 not 60 on the waitlist.

I know its hard to believe that people would turn down an offer others are dying for but realistically schools have like a 40% success rate on acceptances. Alot of students are exceptional students who get offers to multiple schools and even multiple disciplines. 

How did your friend know they moved on the list? what school?

Thanks for sharing. I’m just concerned because Western told me it’s been an unusual year and not too many acceptances are going to go out for Waitlisted people, not like usual years.

my friend just knew because her friend above her removed themselves off the waitlist. Forget which school tho

1 hour ago, Chxnfu said:

Thanks for sharing. I’m number 31 on the waitlist at Mac. Hopeful it moves. But likely, I’m number 60 something based on what you’re saying here. 

if my position on the waitlist moved up - my friend moved up one or two spaces - what does that mean ? I’m sorry I’m confused by how it works.

I'm 32, fingers crossed for us!

4 hours ago, rickpt2023 said:

They do it just means if there are 100 seats and you are first on the wait list you aren't the 101st "top candidate" you are likely ~151 (assuming they sent ~150 offers). You will be contacted if 51 people decline their offer. This link helps show from med schools for McMaster med it shows they sent 330 offers and got 206 seats filled which is consistent with their target (they probably send less than what they think to be conservative and can take from the waitlists). Its similar for PT, I know one of the faculty well from one of the Ontario institutions.

If you are '165' on the waitlist does that mean 165 people are on the waitlist in front of you?

8 minutes ago, rickpt2023 said:

wouldn't that defeat the purpose of provisional acceptances if people are waiting until the 7th but they become firm then

Yeah cause in the email I got It was mentioned that I can be on the waitlist till June 7th if I do not firmly accept at another school. Where did the info after June 7th come from? 

21 minutes ago, PT2025 said:

Yeah cause in the email I got It was mentioned that I can be on the waitlist till June 7th if I do not firmly accept at another school. Where did the info after June 7th come from? 

Apparently someone emailed them, but agreed ^ it's kinda confusing 

For those who accepted the offer from UofA PT class 2025, if I am going to create a group chat, anyone would be interested in? Do you prefer to be connected by facebook group, whatsApp or Discord? 

Thank you and looking forward to seeing my classmates soon