Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

On 5/30/2023 at 10:35 PM, TThenOT said:

Does anyone know if they are going to make an official fb group for those who accepted for OT at UofA? I am getting worried about my roommate situation and finding a place to live lol. Feel free to message me if you are also looking for roomies!!

For those who got accepted to UofA for OT here is the facebook group for the class of 2025. You might have to wait to be added to the group as someone has to double check that you're on the class list. 

https://m.facebook.com/groups/574076651374817/?ref=sharehttps://m.facebook.com/groups/574076651374817/?ref%3Dshare&exp=7ffb&mibextid=S66gvF 

6 hours ago, OT9905 said:

Hi everyone! Wondering if there are any Dal OT students looking for a roommate (female)? If so, please message me!

Were you accepted off the waitlist? I was told there is some movement but I’m OOP so thinking chances are pretty slim

20 minutes ago, Wannabephysio said:

got accepted to U of T off the waitlist on July 7th 10:45am PST!! I have already accepted my offer to UBC so I declined, hopefully, there will be some more movement. Best of luck to everyone!

Hey congrat did you get a phone call or email? 

Hi all, 

Im currently waitlisted for OT at U of A and am stressing about how to plan my next year. Is getting off the waitlist fairly unheard of? I have a decent GPA [3.78], and tons of work/volunteer experience. I think my biggest weakness may have been my CASPER [2nd quartile] or possibly GPA? Any advice/knowledge about the waitlist would be great!

14 hours ago, Emily12356 said:

Hi all, 

Im currently waitlisted for OT at U of A and am stressing about how to plan my next year. Is getting off the waitlist fairly unheard of? I have a decent GPA [3.78], and tons of work/volunteer experience. I think my biggest weakness may have been my CASPER [2nd quartile] or possibly GPA? Any advice/knowledge about the waitlist would be great!

I’m in the same boat as you! Hoping we hear something soon. 

On 7/15/2023 at 8:23 PM, Emily12356 said:

Hi all, 

From what I know it varies year to year. If possible call the admissions office and ask if they will be sending out another round of acceptance letters. That'll give you an idea of where you stand since they wont disclose your number on the list. This is what I have been doing with Dalhousie. I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 11:36 AM, Wannabephysio said:

got accepted to U of T off the waitlist on July 7th 10:45am PST!! I have already accepted my offer to UBC so I declined, hopefully, there will be some more movement. Best of luck to everyone!

Congrats! May I ask what position you were on the waitlist for U of T?

Hi all!!

Can anyone speak to how heavily volunteer work is weighed for U of A OT?

I'm planning on applying for 2024-2025. This is a recent decision, so even if I started volunteering now, my experience seems lacking compared to applicants here. I have volunteered with various organizations, including 3 years with disabled folk, but it's not recent.

My biggest concern is my capacity to volunteer. I have a new mobility disability and am still in recovery mode - my time is eaten up by body maintence and the little I'm able to work.

I do believe I'm a strong candidate in other ways:

- sGPA of 3.7

- mature(ish) student (27)

- Disability Management Certificate from Dal (focus is helping people with disabilities return to work)

- incomplete Pharmacy Tech diploma (extensive knowledge about SK health coverage, medications, medical devices)

- familiar with SK disability funding, loaner equipment programs, mobility equipment suppliers

- familiar with SK adapted sports

- lived experience as someone with a new disability and a previous rehab in-patient for 4 months. Learned a lot from requiring an OT for 8 months (several times a week for 4 months), and PT daily for 4 months but ongoing weekly

- I'm confident I'll be able to get my OT as a reference

Any insight is appreciated! I want my application to be the best it can be because U of A may be the only feasible school for me; my medical needs would require returning to SK several times per year

I got accepted off UBC’s waitlist earlier this month and will attend there this fall! Been lurking forums for the past year and hope this is of help to somebody :) If you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

Applied (All PT): UBC, UofA, McMaster, Queens

Accepted: UofA, McMaster

Waitlisted: UBC (I was accepted to the Vancouver cohort on July 7), Queens

Rejected: N/A

GPA: UBC - 87.7%; UofA - 3.77; ORPAS - 3.75

Perceived Strengths:

• Casper - 4th quartile

• Residency - considered in-province for UBC (where I completed my undergrad) & UofA (completed high school in Alberta)

• Experiences - support work (600 hrs), volunteer at a pediatric and neurological PT clinic (150 hrs total), leadership role for an organization combatting food insecurity (~150 hrs), produce clerk at a grocery store (1700 hrs - throughout COVID), camp counsellor and coach for youth sports (550 hours total), mentorship roles (~100 hrs total), concussion research assistant (50 hrs), clubs and hobbies. The length of my experiences ranged from a few months to two years.

• Essays - I poured most of my time and energy into UBC’s essay and gave myself plenty of time to complete it, then go back and make edits. A major strength of my application was my ability to reflect on what experiences taught me and how they relate to the profession (i.e., utilizing play/fun in rehabilitation, ensuring clients’ right to autonomy regardless of their ability, and the importance of self-care and balance to avoid burnout). I tweaked and elaborated on my answers to meet the word count for my application to Queens.

• Interviews - UBC was my first interview, and despite a couple of weeks of prep, I was fairly anxious throughout, causing me to fumble and freeze badly on two questions. Personally, McMaster’s Kira interview felt like a general job interview, and I breezed through it. I liked UofA’s interview format the most and felt confident drawing up my experiences from interviews prior.

Some tips I’d give would be to have a clear argument while still being mindful of other perspectives, leave enough time for follow-up questions, take the time to ask for clarification (AFTER demonstrating careful thought) where needed, don’t fixate on your mistakes, be yourself, and smile!

• References - My academic references were a prof that taught me three courses and a prof I developed a relationship with (who provided me with resources for a club event) in a class I loved. My professional reference was my manager at the day program in which I worked as a support worker and helped to complete various projects over the summer.

On 7/15/2023 at 6:23 PM, Emily12356 said:

Hi all, 

Hello!
Hope this info helps, and best wishes for those who are still waiting!
Applied for UofA OT
Accepted off of the waitlist this week
GPA: 3.9
Casper: 2nd Quartile
In-province
Many years of relevant work experience and strong references