Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2023 Cycle

Has anyone heard of Western PT going into their lower third for the waitlist? I don't think they ever specified how many people were on the waitlist. 

To that end, has anyone on the Western PT waitlist heard of any movement even in the upper third for this year so far?

I was accepted for a Masters program at another school and am also considering UK schools, but the goal is PT in Canada so just curious about other people's experiences. 

37 minutes ago, imgoingtoOTschool said:

Hey! I was wondering if anyone has received any correspondence from UofT OT since being accepted? I received nothing but a welcome email from UofT SGS. 

I’m also looking for a group chat. Does anyone know if one has been created? I’d like to get a head start looking for roommates!

Hey I’m sure a group chat is made if you search it on Facebook. 

11 hours ago, PT_EP said:

Hi everyone,

I'm a first year PT student at Queen's and thought I'd pop by into this forum - Congrats everyone! If anyone has any questions about Queen's in general, Kingston or the PT program and its new curriculum, let me know, I'd love to help out:)

What are the pros and cons of the program? And is there any time off or are we in class for the full 2 years ?

26 minutes ago, PTPT2023 said:

What are the pros and cons of the program? And is there any time off or are we in class for the full 2 years ?

So the curriculum is changing slightly next year, but based on what I know/heard, there aren't any extended breaks built into the program, other than Christmas holidays. Based on the sessional dates on the Queen's website, there is a fall break Oct 30-Nov 3, a winter break Dec 23-Jan 7, a spring break April 29-May 3, and a summer break Aug 26-Aug 30. Additionally depending on your placement schedule, there is a chance of ending placement a few days early and getting extra days off. 

I can't speak about my experience the new curriculum as our class is sticking with the old curriculum, however I love the program overall. Pros: small class size compared to other Ontario schools, smaller student to faculty and academic assistant ratio, meaning you get more support during labs when learning skills, your instructors know your names and get to build a tighter knit community with other students in PT. Cons: LARGE, rural catchment area, meaning there is a good chance of getting 2-3 placements outside of Kingston, intense course load: you really have to learn to manage your time and have a good school-life balance, burnout and imposter syndrome are two big things I struggled with, however having a good support system helps a lot!

On 5/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, pthopeful2023 said:

Does anyone know if the Torrible Goldman scholarship recipient has been announced?

yes it has. they mentioned this at the queen's town hall meeting a couple weeks ago. they only let the winner know, not any of the other applicants. i found that a bit annoying