Premed 101 Forums

Do you think any med-school will accept me?

I am a Moroccan high school student. I don't have any brilliant extracurriculars at the moment, these are my best ones:

-I made with the help of my teacher and a couple of students a newspaper club, wrote many articles, presented the journal to about a hundred people and we won the third prize for the best school journal competition (regional competition) (2 years ago)

-I qualified for the finals of the national culture and language competition (3 years ago) and for the semi-finals of the same competition (6th grade)

-I presented an important project about the environment to a newschannel, got posted on the website

I used to lean more towards liberal arts and literature.. but I fell in love with science and biology at some point in my life and now I am stuck with extracurriculars that don't have much to do with the field I need. But I have three more extracurriculars I am planning to start:

-community service, I am starting a new club that leans more towards medical awareness and helping by donating, etc..

-Horseriding, requires animal care and a bit of patience

-this one I don't have a choice for:child care. Mom is a teacher, when she leaves our newborn brother at home and there's no one to care for him but me, I find myself growing gradually a lot more discipline.

+I am planning to start a website about my club, so I am learning web development at the moment.

My academics are pretty well-rounded.

I got 18,42/20 last year, my goal  is to get a 19 this year if possible. Do you think I got a chance with any pre-med programs out there? I don't know if any college will accept someone well rounded instead of someone who shows passion and has a lot of experience in the field.

1 hour ago, Sara.pre said:

Do you think I got a chance with any pre-med programs out there? I don't know if any college will accept someone well rounded instead of someone who shows passion and has a lot of experience in the field.

Well-rounded and passion and experience are all somewhat abstract terms. You need to be looking at more definitive metrics used by colleges/universities in determining your chances for acceptance. These include nationality, in-province vs. out-of-province vs. international status, minimum level of education (ex. high school diploma, undergraduate degree etc.), minimum academic standing (ex. GPA), among others.

Are you a student at a Moroccan high school? Are you a Moroccan national studying at a Canadian high school? Are you looking to study medicine in Canada (assume so, this is a Canadian pre-med forum), the States or elsewhere? Are you asking specifically about pre-med programs (i.e. traditional pre-med undergrad degrees), as you say in your post, or are you asking about medicine programs, as you say in the title of your topic?

Lots of different information missing here/needing to be sorted out. Start by focussing on the criteria I listed above. The information you listed in your post is really secondary and irrelevant if the main cutoff admissions criteria aren't met.

Maybe you can seek out an academic advisor who can help you navigate through this.

3 hours ago, MDee2B said:

Well-rounded and passion and experience are all somewhat abstract terms. You need to be looking at more definitive metrics used by colleges/universities in determining your chances for acceptance. These include nationality, in-province vs. out-of-province vs. international status, minimum level of education (ex. high school diploma, undergraduate degree etc.), minimum academic standing (ex. GPA), among others.

Are you a student at a Moroccan high school? Are you a Moroccan national studying at a Canadian high school? Are you looking to study medicine in Canada (assume so, this is a Canadian pre-med forum), the States or elsewhere? Are you asking specifically about pre-med programs (i.e. traditional pre-med undergrad degrees), as you say in your post, or are you asking about medicine programs, as you say in the title of your topic?

Lots of different information missing here/needing to be sorted out. Start by focussing on the criteria I listed above. The information you listed in your post is really secondary and irrelevant if the main cutoff admissions criteria aren't met.

Maybe you can seek out an academic advisor who can help you navigate through this.

I'm really sorry, I was sure I wrote "pre-med" in the title but I don't know what happened..  yeah, I'm planning to study in Canada but I'm also applying to some American programs inshallah. I am a student at a moroccan public high school.. I don't get what "out-of-province" means but I lived in a rural area for most of my life until 5 years ago. Yeah, I'm asking about the pre-med programs.. my bad.

I am fully moroccan,a junior in high school. Schools in morocco don't use the GPA rating system.. they use the 20 scale rating system. And unlike America you can't get a 20. The top students in morocco get a 19 at most. Can you please explain to me the criteria that pre med institutions use?

I believe there are about 450,000 international students studying in Canada, most of whom are studying for their undergraduate degrees. So, you look at the websites of many universities in Canada, apply to a program that interests you, you attain very good grades (which is important), after first year when you are adjusting (assuming you are accepted) you become an active citizen with activities you enjoy such a sports, volunteering, whatever. You need to check out the medical schools to determine if they have any prerequisites.

IP means resident of the same province where the medical school is located, OP means out of province or residing in a province other than where the medical school is located. 

For international students, not all medical schools accept them, if accepted, it is very, very, very expensive; generally, you need to be a citizen of Canada or accepted as a Permanent Resident to Canada (Canada is accepting over 420,000 immigrants yearly, many of whom were international students studying in Canada who have developed skills of value to Canada for employment.

The transition to first year university is quite difficult. I should you look at Acadia University which has a small student body with professors being more accessible and the university is off the beaten track with fewer distractions. You would need a Visa to study in Canada and you have to assume, excluding airfare, with tuition, food, clothing, books, accommodation, entertainment, etc., you will need at least CDN Currency $42,000 for a year of study. And for the months off from university before the next year of study, you will need more money to live.

As another member suggested, you will need someone locally to counsel you what to do, how to proceed, someone who has advised students like you before.  

17 hours ago, Bambi said:

I believe there are about 450,000 international students studying in Canada, most of whom are studying for their undergraduate degrees. So, you look at the websites of many universities in Canada, apply to a program that interests you, you attain very good grades (which is important), after first year when you are adjusting (assuming you are accepted) you become an active citizen with activities you enjoy such a sports, volunteering, whatever. You need to check out the medical schools to determine if they have any prerequisites.

IP means resident of the same province where the medical school is located, OP means out of province or residing in a province other than where the medical school is located. 

For international students, not all medical schools accept them, if accepted, it is very, very, very expensive; generally, you need to be a citizen of Canada or accepted as a Permanent Resident to Canada (Canada is accepting over 420,000 immigrants yearly, many of whom were international students studying in Canada who have developed skills of value to Canada for employment.

The transition to first year university is quite difficult. I should you look at Acadia University which has a small student body with professors being more accessible and the university is off the beaten track with fewer distractions. You would need a Visa to study in Canada and you have to assume, excluding airfare, with tuition, food, clothing, books, accommodation, entertainment, etc., you will need at least CDN Currency $42,000 for a year of study. And for the months off from university before the next year of study, you will need more money to live.

As another member suggested, you will need someone locally to counsel you what to do, how to proceed, someone who has advised students like you before.  

Thank you so much, this helped me a lot! I can't express my gratitude enough, I will continue doing my best.