Premed 101 Forums

When is the 3-year family residency coming into effect? 2024?

1 hour ago, conditional knockout said:

Hello, do we know when the 3-year residency length is going to be implemented? I thought it said 2027 earlier in the year when they announced it, but now I'm hearing it's coming into effect much sooner (ie. 2024). Anyone know if this is likely to be true?

Not sure where the 2024 date is coming from. We’ve just started discussing it at the program level and engaging with the CFPC on it, and my understanding is that the first real deadline in the process isn’t even until 2024. Last I heard from those more in the know the target was still 2027 (or later). 

On 12/10/2022 at 6:33 PM, frenchpress said:

Not sure where the 2024 date is coming from. We’ve just started discussing it at the program level and engaging with the CFPC on it, and my understanding is that the first real deadline in the process isn’t even until 2024. Last I heard from those more in the know the target was still 2027 (or later). 

yup, 2027 at the earliest and there is going to be a ton of debate about this so it could easily be longer. Nobody currently in medical school would be impacted I suppose as a result unless their have an extend training time for some reason.