Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2023 -- Discussions

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/27/2023 at 7:54 PM, livers4lifemd said:

Just a guess but:

If 900 applied to Queen's (up from an average of 401-600 applications per year according to the site), that's a about 1.5-2.25x the normal applicants.

Extrapolating that multiplier to IM CaRMS data from last year which had 869 applicants, that would mean that approximately 869 x 1.5 to 869 x 2.25 applied to IM across the country. Or: 1304 to 1955 applicants this year... :wacko:

I guess that explains why it took until the last day for most programs to send offers.

@livers4lifemd could this 900 be the combined applicants - including IMG and CMG? Such a dramatic increase from 2023 seems extremely unlikely, given how stable these numbers have been year to year

It is a combined figure (same on IMG and CMG pages last year) and there's only ~3,000 CMGs a year so I really really doubt half applied to IM. If I had to speculate (which is bad but hey) I'd imagine a modest increase in competitiveness this year since we had the same angst last year and it was actually fairly steady.