Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2023 -- Discussions

5 minutes ago, cardio_enjoyer said:

Maybe it's just that my application was not as strong as I thought, but this feels like a rough and competitive year for IM applicants... I got fewer interviews than anticipated. To think a few years ago IM always had leftover spots and was considered "backup" options during 2nd iteration...

I feel the exact same way. 

6 minutes ago, cardio_enjoyer said:

Maybe it's just that my application was not as strong as I thought, but this feels like a rough and competitive year for IM applicants... I got fewer interviews than anticipated. To think a few years ago IM always had leftover spots and was considered "backup" options during 2nd iteration...

Absolutely. Feel the same way. Didn't back up and had no idea it was going to be this competitive.

I applied to 14 anesthesia and only got 1 interview (so far, but not looking good). So gutted :(
Question: I got an invite on the Carms page today, but nothing from the school. I also saw on the interview tracker that invites went out several days ago. Do you think it might be a mistake? Or am I just a pessimist?

5 minutes ago, Sedona said:

I applied to 14 anesthesia and only got 1 interview (so far, but not looking good). So gutted :(
Question: I got an invite on the Carms page today, but nothing from the school. I also saw on the interview tracker that invites went out several days ago. Do you think it might be a mistake? Or am I just a pessimist?

This is not for Anesthesia, but I know other program that have sent out acceptances through CaRMS first and then the applicant hears directly from the school later with interview details...so I think you're good if you have a green check mark on CaRMS 

14 minutes ago, Sedona said:

You will get the email later! If the portal says you are offered an interview you will get one.

Does anyone know if this year is particularly competitive for general surgery? I thought I had a particularly strong application and had everything reviewed multiple times by MDs. They all said I had a very strong application so I’m now wondering if I have a red flag on my app. My ref letters are from some of the top surgeons in my province and they were all enthusiastic about writing my letters, but now I’m wondering if I misjudged. Applied broadly to 14 programs and only got 3 interviews. Still waiting on a couple schools but don’t have much hope 

Does anyone know if this was a competitive year for neurology? I applied across the country and got all but one, UBC, which was my top choice. I don't think I have a crazy strong application, but a decent number of neurology publications and felt confident with my references and spent a lot of time on personal letters that were reviewed by lots of folks. I feel like I might have gotten lucky with my other interviews and that gave a false sense of a reassurance before getting rejected from a program I'd really wanted. 

1 hour ago, seatosea said:

Does anyone know if this was a competitive year for neurology? I applied across the country and got all but one, UBC, which was my top choice. I don't think I have a crazy strong application, but a decent number of neurology publications and felt confident with my references and spent a lot of time on personal letters that were reviewed by lots of folks. I feel like I might have gotten lucky with my other interviews and that gave a false sense of a reassurance before getting rejected from a program I'd really wanted. 

Neurology wasn't too competitive in my school, 2 prospective applicants from our class which is lower than number of spots.

1 hour ago, peony1357 said:

I’ll echo a lot of what was said above. VERY competitive year for IM. Queens alone had 900 applicants for 17 spots. 
I applied to derm, and backed up with IM. Got only 2 derm invites - which I’m very thankful for, and 4 IM invites. It only takes one - just gotta make it count!

900? that would mean roughly 1 in 3 med students applied to internal, which sounds very high

1 hour ago, Overstressed said:

Does anyone know when the deadline for interview offers is? Is it midnight tonight?

“Programs are to complete all initial interview offer status updates in CaRMS Online by end of day. Official interview invitations must be distributed to applicants within five days of the update to CaRMS Online.”

Hmm, seems some still aren’t out