Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS 2023 -- Discussions

Hey! For anyone who got an offer for McGill Anesthesiology, can you please let me know what are the potential interview dates?! I got waitlisted and would like to book a trip out of town working around the potential interview... but McGill doesn't share their dates through CaRMS.

Thanks!

Update: Its apparently the 13/14/15 as per program description on carms :) nevermind!

2 hours ago, plsaccept said:

Based on CaRMS data, last year there were 869 applications to IM (https://www.carms.ca/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/2022_r1_tbl9e.pdf), 881 the year before, 885 the year before that - more than I thought too tbh

2 hours ago, famapp said:

900? that would mean roughly 1 in 3 med students applied to internal, which sounds very high

Just a guess but:

If 900 applied to Queen's (up from an average of 401-600 applications per year according to the site), that's a about 1.5-2.25x the normal applicants.

Extrapolating that multiplier to IM CaRMS data from last year which had 869 applicants, that would mean that approximately 869 x 1.5 to 869 x 2.25 applied to IM across the country. Or: 1304 to 1955 applicants this year... :wacko:

I guess that explains why it took until the last day for most programs to send offers.

11 hours ago, bearded frog said:

I don't have time to actually look at the data but I wonder if the switch to online interviews is changing the math... People are applying to more programs than they might have previously if they had to travel for interviews?

I suspect a bit of that, and a lot of people not choosing to pursue family as in the past, concentrating applications in specialties. Going from 26 -> 40 applicants for a single position program (which typically has the competitiveness of internal medicine)… is a lot.

1 hour ago, shikimate said:

Will be interesting to see what FM #s look like, a lot of negative news about FM including pay issue, burning out, etc. Like you said people who "settled" for FM in the past might be trying their chances at something else this year.

I agree. Many people in my cohort who went for competitive specialties (even surgical) backed up with IM instead of FM this year... 

17 hours ago, mountainsorbust said:

Hey! For anyone who got an offer for McGill Anesthesiology, can you please let me know what are the potential interview dates?! I got waitlisted and would like to book a trip out of town working around the potential interview... but McGill doesn't share their dates through CaRMS.

Thanks!

Update: Its apparently the 13/14/15 as per program description on carms :) nevermind!

My friend got waitlisted too.

I don't really understand the point of waitlisting at this point. Why would you put in so much effort for an application and not even bother to show up at the interview??

Other people waitlisted for McGill Anesthesia?

1 minute ago, no-name said:

I don't really understand the point of waitlisting at this point. Why would you put in so much effort for an application and not even bother to show up at the interview??

Totally agree.

I think in previous years with interviews being in-person, it was logical to be put on a wait-list as travelling/cost/commitment to that school/program were actual considerations to show up to an interview.

With virtual interviews now, I also wonder why someone who put the effort to submit an application to the school would not even show up to an interview

1 hour ago, carms20233 said:

Totally agree.

I think in previous years with interviews being in-person, it was logical to be put on a wait-list as travelling/cost/commitment to that school/program were actual considerations to show up to an interview.

With virtual interviews now, I also wonder why someone who put the effort to submit an application to the school would not even show up to an interview

People submit applications to more schools than they might actually interview at because they don’t actually know how many interviews they’re going to get - the spray and pray method. 

Declining interviews is maybe not super common in competitive specialities, but actually common for many big programs like FM, IM, especially now that they’re virtual. Some people are sending in 20+ applications with backups - if they actually get interviews everywhere they applied it becomes very challenging to do all those interviews, even virtually. I know a couple people that interviewed at nearly every English-speaking FM program in the country the first year CaRMS went virtual - it was a brutal (and ultimately unnecessary) experience 

2 hours ago, shikimate said:

Will be interesting to see what FM #s look like, a lot of negative news about FM including pay issue, burning out, etc. Like you said people who "settled" for FM in the past might be trying their chances at something else this year.

Our PD mentioned at our last big gathering that applications for FM are definitely down this year. 

Hey- EM applicant this year. Applied around the country. Got zero interviews despite 8 weeks of electives, solid research output, networking and presentations at CAEP, good leadership and commitment to EM since 1st year. I am incredibly confused; all my friends and upper year residents told me I'd be a solid applicant. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to do. I know I can always do the +1, but I am devastated since I really wanted to do toxicology down the line. Any thoughts on emailing my school's PD and just asking them if they have any feedback on my app? I'm just worried that I did something that caused me to be DNR and now I won't even be able to get the +1. If I do reach out, any tips on how to do so? 

Thanks everyone.

3 minutes ago, bigbulkybase said:

Hey- EM applicant this year. Applied around the country. Got zero interviews despite 8 weeks of electives, solid research output, networking and presentations at CAEP, good leadership and commitment to EM since 1st year. I am incredibly confused; all my friends and upper year residents told me I'd be a solid applicant. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to do. I know I can always do the +1, but I am devastated since I really wanted to do toxicology down the line. Any thoughts on emailing my school's PD and just asking them if they have any feedback on my app? I'm just worried that I did something that caused me to be DNR and now I won't even be able to get the +1. If I do reach out, any tips on how to do so? 

Thanks everyone.

I think a general rule is, as long as the school did not email you saying "thanks for your app, you are not selected for interview and please do not contact us for file review/reconsideration" then it is very fair to reach out for feedback. 

3 hours ago, no-name said:

Hey there, 

got WL last year in Anesthesia McGill and this year as well. I remember ending up getting the interview, which means McGill Anesthesia most likely did not finish rating applicants and wants to bypass the deadline for CaRMS, hence why they waitlisted pretty much everyone.

I might be wrong if other people can confirm they got the OK for interviews right away though.

Don't lose hope!

8 hours ago, carms20233 said:

Totally agree.

Someone put it in the Interview Tracker thread, so I guess they got an interview? Thanks for the info!

3 hours ago, patienceisavirtue said:

has anyone received an email to schedule their Queen FM interviews? I know some people who have been sent emails to schedule and some people who haven't so I'm wondering what the process they're using is. 

Because of your post I checked my junk folder and it was there! Did you check your junk folder?

Hello guys, Internal Medicine program length is 3 years at Western and UofT, but I heard from a current IM physician that you can not write Royal College exams with 3 years and it needs to be at least 4 years to be eligible for that, meaning basically you can not work with 3 years residency and have to go for sub specialty for 1 or 2 more years, anyone have solid info about this?

23 minutes ago, Samic1988 said:

Hello guys, Internal Medicine program length is 3 years at Western and UofT, but I heard from a current IM physician that you can not write Royal College exams with 3 years and it needs to be at least 4 years to be eligible for that, meaning basically you can not work with 3 years residency and have to go for sub specialty for 1 or 2 more years, anyone have solid info about this?

My understanding is that all IM programs are 4 years minimum - once you complete the 3 years, if you don’t match (or don’t want to match) to a subspecialty you automatically default to the 4th year. You do write the Royal College exam in 3rd year though I think now, but you still have to do the 4th year.