Premed 101 Forums

There have been 3 years of no visiting electives and people have successfully matched outside their medical school (including to UofT). I really don't think you need 6 weeks (or more than that) to have adequate face time with a program. If you want to go there, then definitely do electives in the programs that you want to apply for, but I think doing 4 weeks should be sufficient.

I understand that there may be strong personal reasons for wanting to go to Toronto, but by putting all or most of your electives to be at one school you are basically screaming to other programs that you wouldn't rank them high. If you don't match to UofT then would you prefer to go unmatched?

I agree with above. Not sure why somebody doing visiting electives would want/choose to do more than 6 weeks of electives at a single school (home school or not). Depending on the specialty, generally 2 weeks is enough to make it known that you are interested in ranking that program, and 2-4 weeks is enough get face time with residents/faculty (who more often than not make up their mind about you in a few hours of seeing you work).

CaRMS and ranking is about giving yourself the best chance at as many places as possible. Spread out your visiting electives and make connections everywhere. The universe extends beyond Toronto.

4 hours ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

Thank you for the replies. This is really informative! To be frank, I am naive to the matching process and what it takes to match at a program of choice. If I'm backing up with FM, would splitting up the 6 weeks into two 3 weeks (one in specialty, one in FM) be in line with what you would recommend?

Also, I should have clarified that my reasons for wanting to go back to Toronto are simply not inherent to the school or program, such as calibre of training, collegiality, or opportunities for career growth; it's unfortunately a non-negotiable one. My SO recently started at UofT dental school and I would definitely prefer not to spend ANOTHER 2-5 years away from my partner. 

I guess all this to say - most of CaRMS is not under my control, so I am trying to take advantage of the little I do have control over.

I appreciate you have reasons for wanting to be in Toronto, however, you could do everything right and still not match there. Does that mean you will not apply to programs outside of Toronto? If you match elsewhere you are legally bound to start there, otherwise you forfeit CaRMs forever. It's important to have this discussion with your partner so that they're aware. This is a tension that most couples face when going through this process.

This all depends on how competitive the other specialty is. Without more info it's hard to say what the best strategy is. I'd probably do 4 weeks in the specialty and 2 weeks in FM (while doing some Fm electives elsewhere). FYI FM at UofT does not mean you will be in downtown Toronto, you may get placed in Markham, missisauga, or even further out if you apply to the non-GTA streams. Some of the McMaster teaching sites might be about the same distance to downtown Toronto.

12 hours ago, SnowmanTheSWOMEN said:

Thank you for the replies. This is really informative! To be frank, I am naive to the matching process and what it takes to match at a program of choice. If I'm backing up with FM, would splitting up the 6 weeks into two 3 weeks (one in specialty, one in FM) be in line with what you would recommend?

Also, I should have clarified that my reasons for wanting to go back to Toronto are simply not inherent to the school or program, such as calibre of training, collegiality, or opportunities for career growth; it's unfortunately a non-negotiable one. My SO recently started at UofT dental school and I would definitely prefer not to spend ANOTHER 2-5 years away from my partner. 

I guess all this to say - most of CaRMS is not under my control, so I am trying to take advantage of the little I do have control over.

I would do 3 x 2-week electives, with 4 weeks being in your specialty if that is your first choice (hopefully it is at least somewhat tangentially related to FM, i.e. peds, IM, psych, emerg, etc.) and then 2 weeks in FM just to show interest in the program there.

As others have said, that will be an important conversation to have with your SO as there is always a real possibility that you will not match to Toronto (in addition to the possibility you will not match to a downtown FM stream). Ultimately, one's reasons for wanting to match somewhere are their own and all reasons are equally valid so don't let someone tell you otherwise. Unfortunately, it makes no difference to anyone or the program whether it's academic or personal and so despite having that connection, you have to be prepared for other outcomes and plan your approach accordingly by spreading out your electives at other places that you can see yourself training and practicing (even if they are a 2-3 hour drive/flight from Toronto). I don't think going unmatched for the sake of a relationship is a wise decision.

If you really want to match Toronto above even your specialty choice, make sure you rank by location first and specialty second.

Like others, I also don't think you need more than 6 weeks in Toronto. 

With 6 weeks in Toronto, Toronto knows you want Toronto, once the interest is clear, then the only thing that matters is whether you can convince them to want to take you. 

So to answer your question, there are essentially no implications. People who really want to Toronto also sometimes will have made connections with Toronto physicians before the match through research etc., but this applies more to specialties I would say. 

Also like others have said, be sure to rank McMaster, there are some FM sites affiliated with other schools that are actually based in the GTA as well. Western's not that far, only 2 hours away, and for FM, its only 2 yrs.  

Maximize your chances, but don't go too hard on yourself, CaRMS is unpredictable and there is luck involved.