Premed 101 Forums

USMLE same time as MCCQE1

Assuming I (hopefully) match soon, I think I would like to do a fellowship after residency, and want to keep the door open to pursuing this in the states.

I am planning on writing the MCCQE1 this Spring. Would it make sense to do USMLE 2 CK at the same time? Do they topics overlap well enough to make this "easy"? Does my USMLE score matter at all for fellowship? Is it tough to write it during residency? For context have not written USMLE 1.

1 hour ago, PJC said:

Would it make sense to do USMLE 2 CK at the same time?

I think so, I did the Step 2 CK on a Wednesday and the MCCQE 1 on the Friday in the same week. 

1 hour ago, PJC said:

Do they topics overlap well enough to make this "easy"?

I felt they did. I spent 1 month doing Uworld for the Step 2 CK. After the exam I spent all of Thursday reviewing OB and the ethics sections from Toronto notes. That was all the studying I did for both exams.

1 hour ago, PJC said:

Does my USMLE score matter at all for fellowship? Is it tough to write it during residency? For context have not written USMLE 1.

I heard it doesn't but can't confirm since I didn't persue further training in the US. Really depends on your residency. I also had not written the step 1 when I wrote the step 2 and the MCCQE. For what it's worth I went into internal medicine and decided that I really didn't want to or care enough about working or training in the US so I haven't done any of the other steps since