Premed 101 Forums

McGill MDCM Fall 2023 Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist Thread

TIME STAMP: Checked around 09h30

Result: Admitted With Condition

Casper Quartile: 4th quartile

GPA: low 3.90s/4.00

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Crashed and burned in one station, the rest were average I find but so glad that it worked out!

Current year of study: Finished UG.

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: Truly a dream come true! I've still been refreshing Minerva for the past hour, somehow convinced myself I'm hallucinating lol

TIME STAMP: 10:00 am ish

Result: Admitted with Condition!!

Casper Quartile: 2nd

GPA: 3.9

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA):  mixed feelings, I felt like I tried my best but sincerely felt like it was a difficult interview.

Current year of study: 2nd year Master's

IP/OOP/International: IP, RSPP

Comments: I still don't know what campus I've been admitted to, since it only tells you the status, but I am in shock and so happy! Fully sobbing, two years of rejection, third time's the charm I guess!!

TIME STAMP: Checked around 10 am

Result: Admitted with condition

GPA: 3,88/4,00 (4,07x/4,3 at UdeM)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA):  I felt like I did ok, clearly failed one station but the rest was fine. 

Current year of study: 3rd year Biomedical Sciences

Comments: Still can't believe it. 

TIME STAMP: 9h45 ish

Result: Admitted with condition

GPA: 3,98.4.00 (4.10/4.33 at ulaval)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA):  I felt good after, I really tried to have fun with the actors station and I guess it worked out for me!

Current year of study: 3rd year Biomedical Sciences

Comments: I am in complete shock. I have been waiting for this moment my entire life and it's finally here. Very very grateful!

TIME STAMP: Checked at 9:30

Result: WAITLIST: MTL#56/OUTA#35

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.78/4.0

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Thought it went well on some stations and wasn't sure about two of them.

Current year of study: 2nd year M.Sc.  

IP/OOP/International: IP

Comments: I'm a bit disappointed because I thought the interviews went well but I'm still hopeful. It seems the waiting list is unusually long this year (someone on this forum is on #75 and #112 whereas last year the highest I saw was #58 for MTL).  I'm low on the list, but they havent updated the page yet: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/after-youve-applied/waitlist-post-interview

17 minutes ago, Dr.Murphy said:

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Thought it went well on some stations and wasn't sure about two of them.

Comments: I'm a bit disappointed because I thought the interviews went well but I'm still hopeful. It seems the waiting list is unusually long this year (someone on this forum is on #75 and #112 whereas last year the highest I saw was #58 for MTL).  I'm low on the list, but they havent updated the page yet: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/after-youve-applied/waitlist-post-interview

Yea the waitlist is really really long this year!! Got to keep your head up and keep trying! 
I had people reach out to me to let me now they had similar rankings but they didn’t post it (I don’t blame them) but I figure it would be a good measure for the future in other applicants!

Wishing you all the best!! :)

TIME STAMP: 10h30

Result: ADMITTED!!!!

GPA: 3.96

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt like it was a very challenging interview and thought my performance was ok!

Current year of study: graduated B.Sc. Biomedical Sciences and currently in my first year of Pharm.D

Comments: Omg!!! Did not expect that, so I am in complete shock!!

TIME STAMP: 9:50AM

Result: Admitted!!

Casper Quartile: 2nd

GPA: 4.00

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): Felt good right when I finished. After that, kept overthinking my answers and it felt like I could have done so much better! Everything worked out at the end

Current year of study: Finishing undergrad

Comments: Very very excited; it feels unreal!! Very grateful for my family and friends who supported me along the way!!

3 hours ago, Dr.Murphy said:

Hey dont be discouraged! Do you know to what number the waitlist went down last year?

So I had compiled this list of McGill IP Uni waitlist movement while waiting for the decision this past month. Info is from searching older threats on this site. Older years may not be as accurate:

2022: MTL-20   OUTA-2

2021: MTL-14    OUTA-10

2020: MTL-36  OUTA-17

2019: 23

2018: 28

2017: 15

2016: 15

2015: 23

2014: 26

2013: 9

2012: 17

2011: 17

2010: 15

Result: Accepted DMD

Feeling About MMI: Very reasonable. Guess it went alright!

Current year of study:  Graduated w/ BASc '21

IP/OOP/International: OOP

Comments: I think I will commit to McGill. Stoked for Montreal. If you are in a similar position reach out and let's talk about planning for our intake. Definitely on the hunt for some like minded housemates.

1 hour ago, Nikooo said:

So I had compiled this list of McGill IP Uni waitlist movement while waiting for the decision this past month. Info is from searching older threats on this site. Older years may not be as accurate:

2022: MTL-20   OUTA-2

2021: MTL-14    OUTA-10

2020: MTL-36  OUTA-17

2019: 23

2018: 28

2017: 15

2016: 15

2015: 23

2014: 26

2013: 9

2012: 17

2011: 17

2010: 15

Year 2020 for mtl it went to like 75 even higher! That year was unheard of!

TIME STAMP: 11h00

Result: Waitlist MTL 54/OUT34

Casper Quartile: 4th

GPA: 3.87/4 (4.04/4.3 Biomed UdeM)

Feeling About MMI (please be mindful of NDA): A little bit disappointed. I knew it wasn't my best performance but I thought I still had a chance.

Current year of study: graduated B.Sc Biomed at UdeM. Currently in my 2nd year of PharmD at UdeM.

Comments: I've heard the waiting list is longer than previous years. I don't know if it means anything

Hello, 

I just wanted to share my personal ongoing journey so I can try to get some motivation without giving too many details. I have been applying for 7 cycles.

1st and 2nd cycle: Had interview at McGill then refused.

3rd cycle: Waitlisted FOR an interview at McGill (they interviewed 256, I was ranked 260.) and then refused (never got the interview). I applied to Sherbrooke and Laval for the first time, and had an interview at Laval but then was refused as well.  

4th cycle: Applied to McGill, Ottawa, Laval, Sherbrooke and University of Montreal. McGill: Waitlisted for an interview, got the interview, waitlisted for admission then refused. Laval: Interviewed and refused. 

5th and 6th cycle: Applied to DMD and MDCM at McGill. Got interview for DMD both years and refused. Did not get interview for Med both years. Applied to UdeM for first time, no interview.

7th cycle: Applied to DMD and MDCM at McGill. Got interview for both, refused for DMD and now waitlisted in a very poor position for MDCM.  

Brief summary of my academic and professional achievements: (Casper 3rd quartile, a lot of MMI prep in the past and in general)

Academics: B.Sc. (GPA: 3.87). Have M.Sc. (4.0) and in Ph.D. (4.0) (will be complete by latest March 2024). Science Prerequisites: 4.0 (I redid classes for McGill but no longer a requirement now.)

Work and Community service: Pediatric Clinic, TA and lab instructor for undergrads, 5+ years working with children with special needs, rehabilitation programs with the elderly, note-taker for students with disabilities, committee member and chair for multiple charities, and other community service.

Research: Peer reviewer for Canadian graduate and medical student journal, public communications training, Research Internship and Assistantships, 5 publications (one 1st author, two 2nd author), 19 conference oral or poster presentations/abstracts (two 1st author national conferences, one 1st author international conference).

Awards: Numerous awards for academic performance and research, including two very competitive and prestigious awards summer 2022. 

I am motivated in achieving this dream but I don’t know what else to do. I have gotten feedback from healthcare professionals, professors, researchers and medical students but I have reached a point where no one is able to provide me with further guidance. They all believe I have the skills to become a well-rounded healthcare professional. 

I am so tired of hearing "this is your year" and am seriously considering giving up. So many people believe in me, and for 7 years I have let them down. I don't know how much longer I can persist and stay "resilient". Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

7 minutes ago, ImSoStressed said:

Hello, 

I just wanted to share my personal ongoing journey so I can try to get some motivation without giving too many details. I have been applying for 7 cycles.

3rd cycle: Waitlisted FOR an interview at McGill (they interviewed 256, I was ranked 260.) and then refused (never got the interview). I applied to Sherbrooke and Laval for the first time, and had an interview at Laval but then was refused as well.  

4th cycle: Applied to McGill, Ottawa, Laval, Sherbrooke and University of Montreal. McGill: Waitlisted for an interview, got the interview, waitlisted for admission then refused. Laval: Interviewed and refused. 

5th and 6th cycle: Applied to DMD and MDCM at McGill. Got interview for DMD both years and refused. Did not get interview for Med both years. Applied to UdeM for first time, no interview.

7th cycle: Applied to DMD and MDCM at McGill. Got interview for both, refused for DMD and now waitlisted in a very poor position for MDCM.  

Brief summary of my academic and professional achievements: (Casper 3rd quartile, a lot of MMI prep in the past and in general)

Academics: B.Sc. (GPA: 3.87). Have M.Sc. (4.0) and in Ph.D. (4.0) (will be complete by latest March 2024). Science Prerequisites: 4.0 (I redid classes for McGill but no longer a requirement now.)

Work and Community service: Pediatric Clinic, TA and lab instructor for undergrads, 5+ years working with children with special needs, rehabilitation programs with the elderly, note-taker for students with disabilities, committee member and chair for multiple charities, and other community service.

Research: Peer reviewer for Canadian graduate and medical student journal, public communications training, Research Internship and Assistantships, 5 publications (one 1st author, two 2nd author), 19 conference oral or poster presentations/abstracts (two 1st author national conferences, one 1st author international conference).

Awards: Numerous awards for academic performance and research, including two very competitive and prestigious awards summer 2022. 

I am motivated in achieving this dream but I don’t know what else to do. I have gotten feedback from healthcare professionals, professors, researchers and medical students but I have reached a point where no one is able to provide me with further guidance. They all believe I have the skills to become a well-rounded healthcare professional. 

I am so tired of hearing "this is your year" and am seriously considering giving up. So many people believe in me, and for 7 years I have let them down. I don't know how much longer I can persist and stay "resilient". Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey, you've evidently accomplished loads of work - great UG gpa, two graduate degrees, outstanding ECs You have gotten several interviews for the past 7 years but have gotten WL / R each time - I think it's clear that your interview is what's holding you back. Do you have any thoughts on what could have gone better? How did you feel after the interview - how was the content of your answers and how was your confidence? Did the healthcare professionals, med students, others give you feedback on your interview skills? 

I have no doubt that if you reapply (if you dont get in off the waitlist), you will get another chance :)

1 minute ago, cinnamonstick said:

Hey, you've evidently accomplished loads of work - great UG gpa, two graduate degrees, outstanding ECs You have gotten several interviews for the past 7 years but have gotten WL / R each time - I think it's clear that your interview is what's holding you back. Do you have any thoughts on what could have gone better? How did you feel after the interview - how was the content of your answers and how was your confidence? Did the healthcare professionals, med students, others give you feedback on your interview skills? 

I have no doubt that if you reapply (if you dont get in off the waitlist), you will get another chance :)

Thank you I really appreciate it!

For the first 3 cycles my interview skills definitely were below average, but it's something I actively worked on through professional help and practice, I've even changed approaches etc, because it was very clear to me that there's something going when I interview. At this point in my life, as we all have, I have been through many real life difficult situations and adapted/dealt with them well, so again I never felt more ready than I did this year. I went in confident, truly was myself, felt good, so relaxed and natural, and thought the interview went as well as it could have (meaning I think it went at least average because of course so hard to know with these things).

46 minutes ago, ImSoStressed said:

Hello, 

Thank you!

You're not alone ! We're at least 3 on the forum applying for the 7th cycle.

My strategy is to apply everywhere every year as long as it makes sense to me. And it never made this much sense to me. I'll have my very first interview this year after doing almost 2 undergards to get better grades. The road is tough and I gave it my all, but I'm still good to go. Only you know if you still have it in you to keep trying, but you didn't let anyone down. I know this feeling very well, but if you ask these people if they think you let them down, I'm sure they'd tell you that you didn't and that they're very proud of you. No one can be disappointed when someone is trying this hard. I'd say take some rest, clear your mind and then seriously think about your options and your motivation. Maybe try to see the situation like a Casper scenario and think about what you'd suggest to someone else in that situation ? Taking some distance can help to see things with more clarity. You must be good at Casper scenarios by now ;)