Premed 101 Forums

Deleted

8 minutes ago, unmatched2022 said:

I'm currently matched to a program that I don't really want to be in. I understand I am contractually obligated to start this program. However, would I be able to "break" the CaRMS contract and then take a post-match spot? By post-match spot, I mean a position that is unfilled even after the 2nd iteration, like these last year.

What would be the consequences of this in terms of CaRMS?

First, I think it's worth noting that unfilled programs aren't obligated to participate in the post-match process - so the number of programs available could be much smaller.

Next, even if you did somehow get an open spot, you'd have to get "released" from your residency program.  I honestly think it's too much of a risky play and risks blowing up in your face and you ending up burning some serious bridges and not having a residency spot.

3.4 If the Applicant is released from a contract with a Residency Program or released from a contract in the U.S., in accordance with CaRMS’ policies regarding release from the match commitment, the Applicant may be eligible for participation in the current or future matching processes. As more particularly described in section 2.2, participation in the match does not guarantee eligibility to all positions within Residency Programs participating in the match, as each province and Faculty has its own set of eligibility criteria that must be met.