Premed 101 Forums

Do I need to do visiting electives if I want to match to FM at UofT?

I am currently attending Western and interested in matching to UoFT, McMaster and maybe Queens Oshawa site. It seems like a huge pain in the ass to set up these visiting electives with the application process and costs, accommodation, onboarding, making myself familiar with everything etc, just for 2 weeks. I would really like to avoid this hassle if it is feasible. 

If I do not do any visiting elective, will I still have a similar likelihood as someone who did do a visiting elective of getting interviews and matching to UofT or any of the other schools for FM if I selected it as my top choice? Thank you for your help.

8 hours ago, innocentius said:

I am currently attending Western and interested in matching to UoFT, McMaster and maybe Queens Oshawa site. It seems like a huge pain in the ass to set up these visiting electives with the application process and costs, accommodation, onboarding, making myself familiar with everything etc, just for 2 weeks. I would really like to avoid this hassle if it is feasible. 

If I do not do any visiting elective, will I still have a similar likelihood as someone who did do a visiting elective of getting interviews and matching to UofT or any of the other schools for FM if I selected it as my top choice? Thank you for your help.

No you won't, they definitely prefer people that have done electives, preferably with a reference letter from that elective. 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, innocentius said:

You don't want to do something to massively increase your chances of matching to a specialty you want to do for the rest of your life, in the city you want to be in, just because it's a "hassle"?

Also, what makes you confident you'd be happy there if you've never worked there?

Sounds like a visiting elective might not be your only barrier to matching.

This is tricky because it looks like you’re talking about FM. Lots of FM programs take people who haven’t done electives there. 

Maybe it’s different in Ontario. But for FM programs in western canada, doing an elective there won’t actually necessary do all that much to help you, aside from showing interest and potentially getting a reference from someone tangentially connected to the program. It’s different from smaller more competitive specialities where when you do an elective you may be trying to meet some of the people who will be on your program committee, get to know the program, etc