Premed 101 Forums

This 4 days long weekend has been a huge bummer. Most of these programs’ interview days are coming up and we don’t know if we gotten invited or rejected! Yikes. 
so far with no invites with over 30 applications to various programs. I guess this competitive process is designed to tip the scale towards more CMGs. 
has any IMGs gotten any invites? 

26 minutes ago, Imghope said:

This 4 days long weekend has been a huge bummer. Most of these programs’ interview days are coming up and we don’t know if we gotten invited or rejected! Yikes. 
so far with no invites with over 30 applications to various programs. I guess this competitive process is designed to tip the scale towards more CMGs. 

I only got one Queens FM interview and I have applied for almost everything 

11 hours ago, Imghope said:

I'm an IMG and have gotten several FM invites in Ontario, but didn't apply to other specialties or provinces, so can't comment on those.

26 minutes ago, Imghope said:

CMG>>CSA>>>>IMG

I dont know why they allowed us as IMGs to apply for competitive spots if this is the case! The leftover spots from first iteration was because CMG did not choose them, now they want to give another chance for CMGs for these spots again!

IMGs are not getting half of what they deserve. I have spent over 4000$ this year ( this is my third cycle applying) and yet did not get more than one interview.
 This is frustrating by all means

55 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I dont know why they allowed us as IMGs to apply for competitive spots if this is the case! The leftover spots from first iteration was because CMG did not choose them, now they want to give another chance for CMGs for these spots again!

IMGs are not getting half of what they deserve. I have spent over 4000$ this year ( this is my third cycle applying) and yet did not get more than one interview.

I am in the same boat, I have spent over $5000 this cycle in apps and haven’t gotten many interviews. Even if we get interviews the preference are still CMG CSA cohorts. 
some programs may elect to not rank any IMGs during first iteration so they can takenCMG during the second (have heard, speculation, cannot testify to its authenticity). 
In any case the system is very unfair for us and honestly after this I’m done, going down to the states. Yes it does have its problems but at least I can practice being a physician and there are more opportunities. 
sorry just upset with this whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Imghope said:

I am in the same boat, I have spent over $5000 this cycle in apps and haven’t gotten many interviews. Even if we get interviews the preference are still CMG CSA cohorts. 
some programs may elect to not rank any IMGs during first iteration so they can takenCMG during the second (have heard, speculation, cannot testify to its authenticity). 
In any case the system is very unfair for us and honestly after this I’m done, going down to the states. Yes it does have its problems but at least I can practice being a physician and there are more opportunities. 
sorry just upset with this whole thing. 

That is very similar to my future plan.

I am planning to start studying for usmle, better than trying here for nothing.

52 minutes ago, CMGAnyDay said:

It is a canadian medical system, set up by and for canadian medical school graduates. 

If you want the same advantage, either go match wherever you did your medical school training 

OR

Like the majority of successful CaRMS applicants, go to medical school in Canada

You make it look so easy, sure thing you seem very fresh to talk like that.

good luck with the stressful residency and afterwards life that is “ made by Canadian for Canadian” 

5 hours ago, Rhino said:

You are erroneously assuming that spots are left over because CMGs didn't want them.

First of all, positions in Québec (including McGill Anaesthesia) only have one competitive stream for both IMGs and CMGs. So according to you, IMGs didn't want that spot either?

Second, Positions may be left over for a variety of reasons, including programs not ranking enough applicants.

The majority of open positions are in Québec family medicine programs, did you apply to those?

Individual applicants don't "deserve" anything in CaRMS, whether CMG or IMG. It is only the Canadian public that deserves physicians trained on the public dime.

Let’s refrain from the childish talks. We are all doctors at the end of the day.

We can acknowledge that it is very difficult for an IMG to match to Canada as they’re a significant preference for CMGs - and many would agree that there should be. But we can still have some empathy and acknowledge that getting into a Canadian Medical School is very difficult and sometimes there is a bit of luck (but mostly it’s due to an applicant’s hard work). There are many IMGs that would be incredible doctors in Canada, but our system is designed to to protect its graduates as well. 

Good luck with everyone in the second round. I applaud the IMGs trying to match to Canada, it is difficult and it’s can be unfair. I do hope at the end of the day you find a residency in the states or here. To all the CMGs, I hope the system does give you a spot as your hard work leading up to medical school and during medical school is rewarded 

6 hours ago, Rhino said:

The leftover spots from first iteration was because CMG did not choose them

Or the program decided it would rather try again in round 2 than pick from the CMGs available in round 1. This also happens. An applicant favouring algorithm doesn't mean programs are obliged to rank people they don't want. 

2 hours ago, CMGAnyDay said:

It is a canadian medical system, set up by and for canadian medical school graduates. 

If you want the same advantage, either go match wherever you did your medical school training 

OR

Like the majority of successful CaRMS applicants, go to medical school in Canada

Wow you  wry immature and hence no point in arguing. 
Those you refer to are called CSA or Canadians studying abroad, these are Canadians who don’t get to med school here so they end up going to medical school in the Caribbeans or Ireland. IMGs are people who did medical school in their home country and immigrated to Canada. 
your comments essentially is saying immigrants not welcomed here which, if that is your point of view, then you are a racist person and conversation ends there. Or you are just uninformed and ignorant which I hope this thread educates you. 
CSA and IMGs are placed in the same cohort but preference are given to CSA. 
just to put it in perspective almost 80% CSA match while 20% of IMGs match. Are we worst doctors? I doubt it, the system is designed to favour legacies (those who end up going to Ireland are typically rich or doctors children as it costs nearly 100K a year for a 5-6 year program) and exclude immigrants. 
im sorry that I was too young to come here and do undergrad and med school here….. ignorant. 
Just to let you know most IMGs were the cream of the crop in their own countries hence the their acceptance in med school there. 
long story short, the fact that you go to med school here and someone else somewhere else doesn’t make you better. 

very insulting post, not sure if you are actually an MD but if you are I fear for your patient as you are clearly intolerant of other people.