Premed 101 Forums

Standing Out As An Applicant

I'm trying to figure out as an applicant to medical school, how to stand out against other applicants because med school is becoming so competitive. I have my EMT Certification, but am not working clinically, I am on the board for 2 committees, and I am currently doing research that will hopefully have a publication in a year or so. However, after talking to other people many people are still doing the same thing. What can I do that will make me stand out as an applicant compared to everyone else? One idea I had was to develop a game that would put kids in the place of a physician to get more kids involved in medicine. I'm struggling to determine how to make myself seem special compared to everyone else. If anyone has any input please let me know, thank you!

Other than winning the Nobel Peace Prize, there is no magic bullet, your only competition is yourself, to be authentic to whom you are; so, don't focus on others, only on yourself and do things that interest you! There are more competitive applicants than seats available and "luck" is the most important ingredient, assuming you are otherwise a competitive applicant. Also, perseverance is important to keep applying no matter wehat and to have a Plan B, just in case.