Premed 101 Forums

Holding Two Acceptances Equals Rejection?

I was very lucky to receive an acceptance to UBC and Ontario medical schools my this year. Initially, I was dead set on attending UBC and accepted their offer and paid my deposit. However, I got cold feet and accepted an Ontario offer so that I could have more time to make my final decision. I then remembered that one cannot hold two offers at the same time and decided to reject the Ontario offer by emailing the Ontario medical school. I have not paid the deposit to this Ontario medical school and have only held two Canadian medical school offers for a few hours. Will I lose my spot at UBC?

So let me try to understand things right since I'm having some trouble with your post... 

You got accepted into UBC first (congratulations)... you paid the deposit... you were "dead set"...

But because you got "cold feet" you also accepted an offer from an Ontario medical school (congratulations again) but did not pay the deposit. You did this in an attempt to stall (which I really do not understand why since you could wait until the final second to accept the offer based on the deadline). 

I am assuming you didn't notify UBC of your other acceptance. 

You made up your mind shortly after and emailed the Ontario medical school to decline the offer. 

Where in this stream of thought would you lose the UBC offer? 

- G

Hi it is a very confusing stream of thought haha. Yesterday was the deadline to accept Ontario offers and I wanted to extend that to have more time to decide as I’m very indecisive. I never notified UBC about the other acceptance but do Canadian schools contact each other about accepted students? I’m scared I’ll end up losing all my offers as for about a 2 hour span I had accepted two schools. 

15 hours ago, StressedPremeder said:

Hi it is a very confusing stream of thought haha. Yesterday was the deadline to accept Ontario offers and I wanted to extend that to have more time to decide as I’m very indecisive. I never notified UBC about the other acceptance but do Canadian schools contact each other about accepted students? I’m scared I’ll end up losing all my offers as for about a 2 hour span I had accepted two schools. 

Yeah you should be fine - 

also brings up an important point. Once you are accepted the schools generally aren't cruel machines waiting to crush your dreams ha. ( To be clear before they aren't cruel either....just indifferent - which is just a byproduct of 1000s of people applying which a huge number of great candidates.)  

Oh and congrats of course!

I am aware of a situation happening many years ago. Student had offer at school A in province A and school B in province B. Accepted and held onto both offers up to orientation week. Ultimately rejected school B. They were furious, wanted student expelled. School A’s Dean allegedly smoothed things over, but was viewed as a serious professionalism issue…

On 5/24/2023 at 4:27 PM, -D- said:

I am aware of a situation happening many years ago. Student had offer at school A in province A and school B in province B. Accepted and held onto both offers up to orientation week. Ultimately rejected school B. They were furious, wanted student expelled. School A’s Dean allegedly smoothed things over, but was viewed as a serious professionalism issue…

well I mean yeah - they should have been furious. That compromises the school's ability to get their class filled.