Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2024 Cycle

58 minutes ago, Physio23427 said:

Any other females looking for housing for U of T? I am accepting their physio program! I know no one else going and would love to make some friends 

I live in Toronto and am waitlisted from OT at U of T. I'm looking for a roommate (my roommate is moving to BC in August). Feel free to message me! 

Applied: all OT, McMaster, Queens, UofT, Western

Accepted: McMaster and Western

Waitlisted: UofT

Rejected: Queens

s-GPA: 3.81

CASPer Quartile: 4th

Perceived strength of essay/interviews/references

I have experience volunteering as an SLP assistant (4 months), OT assistant (4 months), and at an OT summer camp (full time for one week). I felt good about my essays and personal statements as I spent a decent amount of time on them! I honestly thought my Mac interview went terribly but I guess better than expected. I had a reference from my Thesis professor and the OT i volunteered for, honestly they didn’t know me too well at the time but I trust they have a positive reference. This was my first time applying and I just graduated with a BSc in Psychology & Neuroscience. 

Not sure whether to choose Mac or Western ahh if anyone has any advice let me know :) Excited to meet new people wherever I end up!!!

On 5/16/2024 at 7:29 AM, readytoOT said:

Hey all, 

I am accepting Western OT and was wondering if there was a groupchat started for those accepted yet! Trying to figure out housing options. Let me know if anyone wants to figure out housing together! (I am a female for reference) 

My stats:

sub gpa:3.83

fourth quartile casper 

Let me know if there is a group chat!! I’m not for sure accepting Western but most likely. 

On 5/15/2024 at 12:29 PM, inshallahpt said:

Man screw all the damn admissions committees. I’m an amazing candidate and I would make an amazing physiotherapist. Guess it’s just not written for me. Third application, think I might tap out. Maybe this is my sign that this path as passionate as I am, may not be for me. I hope everyone who got in is appreciating their victory. I would give and have given just about everything for it. Heal people, be the change this industry so desperately needs 

I'm sorry to hear that but to be honest it took me 4 tries to get in. In 2021 I had a stellar sGPA of 3.38 and was instantly rejected. I spent the next few years working, volunteering, researching, retaking courses and on my 3rd try in 2023, with a sGPA of 3.87, 4th quartile CASPer and 800 hours of EC, I was still rejected and felt so defeated. Decided to give it another go and it finally paid off. 

I wish I could say I figured out the recipe for success in these applications but like many others have said, there's a crap load of luck involved.

I never had any luck with the Ontario schools no matter how much time I put in. This year I finally got the UBC MMI and although it was a scary experience it felt so much more natural than the Ontario schools' formats. You talk 1 on 1 with the interviewer and since it isn't recorded, they have just as much time to assess you as you do in assessing the questions they ask, so the format feels balanced. The Mac Kira was always a weird one. to sit in front of a computer and talk to yourself and answer 5-6 very vague questions and have them watch the recorded thing and analyze every little thing about you. Western doesn't even have an interview and the CAP (although I didn't even get it), is another one where you write shit down and hope they like it. 

All rambling aside, there's a large number of very qualified candidates out there, yourself included, who get denied admission because the system is flawed and it often screens against individuals who would make amazing healthcare workers.

Something I found interesting since the Ontario results came out on Wednesday is that I got accepted by UBC and so therefore must be a very accomplished candiate, yet I couldn't even get the CAP invite for UoT or get even waitlisted at Western?! So yeah, a lot of luck is involved

For reference:

Applied: UBC, UoT, Mac, Western (all PT)

Accepted: UBC (In province)

Waitlisted: Mac

Rejected: UoT (no cap invite), Western

GPA: cGPA:3.44, sGPA:3.9

4th CASPer

Question: has anybody tried to decline an offer through ORPAS? I declined my Western offer, and hit "verify and submit" but now my entire application is... Gone? Is this normal or did I mess something up?

8 minutes ago, fh1002 said:

Question: has anybody tried to decline an offer through ORPAS? I declined my Western offer, and hit "verify and submit" but now my entire application is... Gone? Is this normal or did I mess something up?

did you accept your other offer first? If so, I think it’s okay? 

2 hours ago, fh1002 said:

From what I know when you make changes to your ORPAS account (accept/deny an offer) it is locked for 1 business day

13 minutes ago, kphysio2024 said:

From what I know when you make changes to your ORPAS account (accept/deny an offer) it is locked for 1 business day

Okay that checks out, it said something about being available in 1 day. Thanks! Glad I didn't mess the whole thing up

Hello! Accepted to Western and Queens OT (BC resident)! Now I'm having a tough time deciding between the two, as I've never been to either campus and was not expecting to have to choose. Is  anyone willing to share some insight on pros and cons of each?? 

On 5/17/2024 at 4:32 PM, Aoife said:

roommate

On 5/17/2024 at 3:32 PM, Physio23427 said:

Any other females looking for housing for U of T? I am accepting their physio program! I know no one else going and would love to make some friends 

Hi, I am planning on accepting u of t for physio and will be looking for a roommate 

Hey all, preparing for next cycle and I was wondering about references(since it’s going to be a couple of years since graduating).

Should go with a recent professor (2023 winter) who’s class I did well in (95+) but doesn’t know me that well 

or an older professor (2022) who’s class I participated in more/remembers me more but only got ~85%. 

Additionally is there any way to get a really strong academic recommendation from a professor? Regret not interacting more…thank you all for your help!! 

17 hours ago, OT2024 said:

Hello! Accepted to Western and Queens OT (BC resident)! Now I'm having a tough time deciding between the two, as I've never been to either campus and was not expecting to have to choose. Is  anyone willing to share some insight on pros and cons of each?? 

I’m in the same boat! Would love to hear any opinions:)

Hey guys, I’m planning on accepting my Mac PT offer and was wondering if there’s any current students here who could tell me more about the program and their opinions on it, both good and bad. 

Adding onto that, I’m an OOP student and was wondering what kind of housing people recommend for Mac?

18 hours ago, strawman said:

Hey all, preparing for next cycle and I was wondering about references(since it’s going to be a couple of years since graduating).

Should go with a recent professor (2023 winter) who’s class I did well in (95+) but doesn’t know me that well 

or an older professor (2022) who’s class I participated in more/remembers me more but only got ~85%. 

Additionally is there any way to get a really strong academic recommendation from a professor? Regret not interacting more…thank you all for your help!! 

I had the EXACT same problem then realized, of the schools I applied to, only UBC wanted references (OT at UBC, UofA, Mac, Western). I ultimately went with a prof who knew me better and could speak well to my academics. To be fair, my grades were really similar across all classes, but even the prof from the class I had an especially high grade in said I should look first for a prof who knew me better, then if that failed she would help.

Let me know if either of you have questions!

19 hours ago, strawman said:

Absolutely, I would go with the older prof who actually knows you and the LOR will reveal that, s opposed to a generic letter that will be less impactful.

4 hours ago, fh1002 said:

I had the EXACT same problem then realized, of the schools I applied to, only UBC wanted references (OT at UBC, UofA, Mac, Western). I ultimately went with a prof who knew me better and could speak well to my academics. To be fair, my grades were really similar across all classes, but even the prof from the class I had an especially high grade in said I should look first for a prof who knew me better, then if that failed she would help.

Let me know if either of you have questions!

3 hours ago, Bambi said:

Absolutely, I would go with the older prof who actually knows you and the LOR will reveal that, s opposed to a generic letter that will be less impactful.

Thank you guys so much for helping!! Ultimately I don’t have a strong relationship with either professors, but yes I’ll try asking the professor who might actually remember me haha