Premed 101 Forums

Bachelor of Health Sciences Programme @ McMaster

Guest greggreg

Guest blinknoodle

Good luck with your decision, greg. If you do apply for on campus housing, there are very few quad rooms and while there are groups of 4 students that share accomodations in apartment-style residences (Bates and Mary Keyes). In these, though, you have your own room but share everything else (living room, kitchen, bathroom, etc). If you end up in Mary Keyes, you may be with a lot of health sci students since last year, there were quite a few health scis in Mary Keyes.

But off campus housing is great too! :)

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jixe

I just finished my first year at Waterloo too, in the Pre-Opt/Pre-Health program.

Just a word of advice, I'd strongly consider UofT Sci, particularly if you applied to the St. George campus. Don't believe the regular BS that it's so tough. A similar proportion of people do well there, just as in any other school. Sure, they may have engraved in their constitution that no more than a certain number of people should get A's, but then again, what school would want to give all their students A's? Besides, they offer specializations that you can't get anywhere else. At McMaster's Health Sci program, in the end, you get a BHSc similar to what you'd get elsewhere. McMaster's regular Sci program and Waterloo's have numerous specializations as well.

By the way, did you apply to McMaster Health Sci Level II program? If so, there's a small chance that I may be in your class next year. However, a large part of me wants to stay at Waterloo, as I'm no longer feeling the hype of McMaster's Health Sci program.

Guest studentz

One of my friends just graduated from Mac's normal science program. He did extremely well there, but his biggest beef with the Health Sci program is the substantial percentage of many health sci course grades that come from self evaluations. According to him, this not only allows students to essentially give themselves whatever mark they want for that portion of their final grade, but also removes a major assignment that could have otherwise accounted for those marks, thus reducing the workload of the course.

Any health sci ppl. want to comment on this?

Guest TheDDSDude

WEll you still need to provide evidence of your reasoning to give yourself the mark you deserve. And that is more the reason to go to health sci if you get accepted. Lesser work load and equal success as someone who worked just as hard. Efficiency is more important than effort.

Guest greggreg

"If you end up in Mary Keyes, you may be with a lot of health sci students since last year, there were quite a few health scis in Mary Keyes."

I'm interested in residence at McMaster and I definately like the Mary Keyes residence the most. Do you know if they give any sort of preference to Health Sci students in terms of giving them their room choice preference?>:

Guest greggreg

"If you end up in Mary Keyes, you may be with a lot of health sci students since last year, there were quite a few health scis in Mary Keyes."

I'm interested in residence at McMaster and I definately like the Mary Keyes residence the most. Do you know if they give any sort of preference to Health Sci students in terms of giving them their room choice preference?

Guest blinknoodle
I'm interested in the residence at McMaster and I definately like the Mary Keyes residence the most. Do you know if they give any sort of preference to Health Sci students in terms of giving them their room choice preference?

No. There is no advantage for health sci students. For upper year students, if they want to go back into res, they are given room selection preferences based on whether they are on the Dean's Honour List. Since Mary Keyes was brand new last year, I think everyone wanted to give it a try - hence a lot of health scis. I think for all first year students it is random. For my first year, I asked for a small all-girls residence and ended up with Brandon (the biggest co-ed res). I ended up loving it anyhow.

With regards to the self-evaluations, I can only really think of one course with a major self-eval component (first year inquiry). Many others have peer/group evaluations. However, like DDSDude said, you are required to provide evidence justifying your grade. As well, if you feel the need to cheat yourself and ask for a 100% when you didn't put in 100%, then who are you fooling? You can do some amazing things while at Mac, and if you decide to put in as little effort as possible, then you, yourself, lose out in the long haul. I kept reminding the students I TA'ed in first year that although it may seem so simple at first, it is those same skills that you need to succeed in your upper years - so if you chinch at the beginning, it will return later on (and if not in university, then wherever you go afterwards). That's my stance, which I know is different than DDSDude's. ;)

Cheers,

-blinknoodle

Guest TheDDSDude

The reason that happened is because at mac, those on the Dean's list get preference of where they wanna stay in res if they choose to stay in res. 99% of health scis are on the dean's list so they all stayed in res and got their choice of res, hence so many health scis in keyes.

Guest codloghorn

hello theddsdue,

you are not making the health sciences program sound very respectable. the way you're putting it, the program sounds like an easy clown college with free food. :rollin

Guest blinknoodle
Is it possible to be on the Dean's list before entering residence in first year?

My first thought is no, the Dean doesn't know you yet. :P j/k

The Dean's list is for students who had a GPA over 9.5/12 the year before at Mac. You need to be at Mac for a year to be on the DHL (Dean's Honour List). Although, I am not sure about students on the DHL from another institution (if you were a full-time student at Waterloo). You'd have to check into that specifically.

-blinknoodle

Guest TheDDSDude

codloghorn,

perhaps you misinterpreted my messages. It is not easy however, hard work will be rewarded unlike some programs where you can work hard and not be rewarded. I think codloghorn you have to understand that I do have some credibility. I mean, in the end, you want to get a good educational experience at the same time have success in your application to professional school. If in fact I went to clown college and only got good marks because it was easy you think the interviewers at professional schools won't see that?

You think the admissions board would not read that in the application? Why do you think there are so many processes and steps to applying? You actually think it is a fluke that I got accepted to not only schools in Canada but also the Ivy Leagues in the United States? Tell me a person who went to so called "clown college" and did marginally, but had the same results. I'm not trying to brag, just trying to prove a point that the health science program is NOT a joke. If this type of success doesn't get respected, then NOTHING WILL in regards to academic acheivement of goals.

The only thing that is a joke, are those people who are ignorant to what goes on in the health science program and bash it by saying how bad it is because quite frankly, they have not been in the program and have not seen what goes on. There are also a lot of bitter people who didn't get in and decided that health science is bad from then on...

You are talking to the real deal here. I've been through the program and I am sharing my experiences. If you think that my experience is a joke, and I'm a joke, I challenge you to show me a path that required equal or less academic effort and that acheived the same results.

I may come off as arrogant and pompous but to deal with people like you, you deserve to have it spat back at you for your ignorance. I apologize to others who have to witness this "lashing" of another member. But I cannot stand idlying by and let someone call the McMaster Health Science program a joke because they never been in it.

Look, I have had so much time to workout and do things outside of school during my undergrad, like volunteer, socialize, and focus more on self development as a person and gain experience and simply have fun. Yes, people who are not in health science can do the same, but there are many who choose to study all the time and not doing anything else. That is NOT life. NOt cool at all.

Guest codloghorn

theddsdue, you are an arrogant fool.

Lesser work load and equal success as someone who worked just as hard.
There are also ways you will learn that you don't have to do as much work as your counterparts in other programs and still get higher marks.
We have our own private lounge with new computers, and last time I heard we got a new TV with DVD player.
Whenever the faculty throws a cocktail parties it is all you can eat fancy finger foods such as scallops, steak skewers and lovely arrays of hors d'ouevres not to mention all you can drink alcohol, open bar. You are invited for free.

This doesn't sound like a respectable institution. It sounds like a bunch of snobs trying to do the least work possible for the highest marks. This doesn't sound very noble. it sounds lazy, to me.

Finally, the comment about Health Science kids being snooty. Yes, there are some kids that are snooty unfortunately. That does happen especially when you are treated like royalty, acheive outstanding accomplishments (many of these kids win international, national, provincial awards, etc.), and many tend to come from very affluent families, not to say that is a legit reason to be arrogant but you can see how that might influence one's attitude.

It sounds like YOU are one of the snooty kids. It's as if you endorse arrogance.

At first, I wasn't insulting you, I was just saying that YOU, as a GRADUATE of the health sciences program, should not make it out to be a walk in the park. You claim it's a rigorous program, but then you contradict yourself by saying how little work you have to do.

This is a DIRECT insult towards you. If I were part of the faculty of the health sciences program at McMaster, I would be ashamed to have produced such a graduate like yourself.

Guest mdhopeful23

hi, sorry to interject into this discussion...hope i dont regret it

'you are not making the health sciences program sound very respectable. the way you're putting it, the program sounds like an easy clown college with free food.'

dds, i dont think clog was dissing the Bhsc program at mac, but your perspective of its 'perks'. getting special tx should not be a perk of any educational program. quality of teaching, methodology, resources, atmosphere, etc are perhaps better criteria to use.

i think the bhsc at mac is a great, an excellent educational experience, but what is this whole deal about it being soooo amazing? honestly, i didnt even know it was such a big deal to get into it until i came to mac. is sounds like a lot of hype and arrogance. two words i dont have alot of respect for...(and no dds, i am not calling you arrogant, there are no personal insults intended).

all this talk about what schools you've been accepted to, etc. is this what you consider 'success', external approval of your intelligence? many of us may not achieve this kind of success, but so what, i dont think its the only kind that exists. and no, i am not someone who has done poorly in life, by your definition....

as i recall, a few years ago i was accepted in the bhsc program at mac, but turned it down to go to another univ where i completed my bsc. i turned out fine. i think im a successful person (maybe more so 7 days from now ;) back then, i certainly didnt catch drift of all this hype, and im not sure if would of made a difference. hmm, the programs only been around for like 4-5 years anyway...can it really be that superior to other undegrad programs?

Guest codloghorn

exactly. i think the health sciences program at mcmaster is great. i just think you are not making it out to be a "respectable institution." rather, you are making it out to be elitist. at first, i was not insulting you. i was just standing up for the mcmaster health sciences program.

Guest TheDDSDude

Cod

"If I were part of the faculty of the health sciences program at McMaster, I would be ashamed to have produced such a graduate like yourself." It is obvious why you aren't part of the faculty of health sciences. The fact is you are not. I don't want any if ands or buts, that MEANS NOTHING. I focus on the facts, what is.

You are nothing more than a person with an opinion that DOES NOT MATTER. If you have to resort to personal insults, well then that says a lot already. But on the plus side at least you stand up for what you believe in and I can respect that. Just don't try to make yourself sound oh so noble at my expense by saying that you were defending the program. You are NOT defending the program since you know NOTHING about the program. You haven't been in the program. I don't want to continue this kind of non productive conversation because it does not help anyone. Poor Greg just wanted help to decide where to go. I told him like it is. I told him what goes on. And if you think I'm making it seem disrespectful, thats YOUR perspective. But in the end it doesn't matter what you think, since you haven't experienced it. All you have are hypotheticals, while I tell the reality of it.

Mdhopeful, you on the other hand I must commend. Even though you don't agree with all that I am saying at least you are being fair. I respect that. However, if you could defend Cod for having a different perspective then you can understand why I had to write what I wrote.

Perhaps I did not explain myself very well in according to since mdhopeful had brought up assessment of education through the quality of instructors etc.. Or perhaps I assumed that you knew that you can get a great education in the health science program and you can also get perks along with the excellent education.

So allow me to explain:

Mac's Health science boasts some of the finest faculty in the area of health sciences. You have a lot of professors in different health fields who have also obtained recognition for their acheivements. In terms of education, it is comparable with some of the best in the world. However, not only will you get this, but you will also get the many perks that come along the way, perks that codloghorn called me "a fool" for bringing up. Ok think about it.

You have two schools, both are equally good. One school however, gives you extra perks and the other does not. Based on that alone, wouldn't it be more advantageous to go to the school that gives you extra benefits? At least that is what makes sense to me. It's like paying for 1 pizza but getting a second pizza for free.

The Mac Health sci program is not the be all end all, but it's pretty damn good with a pretty good track record despite being only 4-5 years old. It's even featured in MaClean's University review of what's hot at Mcmaster. So I mean, look, you can do as you wish. But I just believe that if you have one chance to give yourself an opportunity you should take it. Sure, you can't tell the future and you can still do well at another program but your chances of doing well in the health sceince program are excellent. That's all i have to say. Do as you wish. I personally believe in destiny. If you were destined to succeed it wouldn't matter where you go. But for those who believe that one can make one's destiny then i suggest you think about what is important to you and base your decision on your gut instinct and the facts (statistics and past experiences of others). There is no point to reinvent the wheel, use the wheel to invent the car.

Guest apical meristems

Things are far too dramatic in here.

But to defend Cod, I would consider the following remark extremely insulting.

I may come off as arrogant and pompous but to deal with people like you, you deserve to have it spat back at you for your ignorance.

I thought this forum was developed to assist students. Now it's turned into a cheap, third rate soap opera.

apical

Guest TheDDSDude

Alright, it is obvious that I haven't made myself clear enough if there are others still trying to get in cheap shots in attempt to defend cod. I think Cod can defend himself/herself very well and doesn't need groupies. i'm sorry if I am so blunt, that is how I see it.

Look, I came onto this particular topic since it is one that concerns me being a health sci alumni and wanting to help others with their careers because this is what this forum is for. I have told Greg the FACTS about health sci. I don't think I have ever bashed any other program in the process but if you felt I did, well I didn't.

I am not trying to brag or boast. I don't need someone to tell me I'm good. I am quite confident with my own abilities. So don't think of me as a show off, I am simply using myself as an example of what you can accomplish as well to justify my arugments. Think of it as evidence that the program works and I am sorry if I have offended anyone in this process. I don't think I'm better than anyone and I believe that everyone can achieve success (whatever way they value/define as success) if they find the right system that works for themselves. However, I have been through the process and I know and learned certain tricks that work not only for me but for a good number of people. Sure, it does not work for everyone but it does work. I simply want to spread my advice to others so that they can learn from my mistakes and gain an advantage through my advice so that they can achieve their goals and possibly even become more successful than they would be if they did not know this prior knowledge and having to go through it themselves.

I was once an undergrad too. I know how it is. I know the pressures of school work and competition. I was in the first ever health science class. No one knew what to be expected. No one had any guidance from upper year students because they dont' exist. However, this changed. I have been through it and I can tell you from my experience what might work better and what might not work better. Yet some of you totally discredit me. Of course I would be angry and lash out. That is a normal human response. Think about it, if someone insults something that means a lot to you, would you not get angry? To say you won't would be complete lies since I have probably insulted some of you directly or indirectly and you have responsed in an angry manner.

Mdhopeful talks about perspectives. Perhaps I have been a bit selfish looking at things from my own perspectives but can all of you say that you are completely innocent of doing the same? Can I really be blamed for what I have posted?

Why else would I use my experience, stats and numbers to support my claims? Perhaps I did not articulate it in a manner in which some of you can "digest" and take in more positively..but that is my style. I dont' like to sugar coat things, I am blunt, straight forward and tell it like it is as I have many times. I am not going to be a "fake" oh I'm so nice blah blah person. I tell it as I see fit and if you don't like it, complain or disagree with my point if you find flaw in it but don't complain about my character because I don't tell you how to take a @#%$ so don't tell me how to wipe my bottom.

I am not trying to make any friends but I don't want any enemies for the wrong reason. I don't need to please everyone and I cannot. If I come off being hard on you, like I did on peachy, well you have to understand my intention is not out to get you, I just don't sugar coat things.

I simply wish to help, and I believe I have done so through telling Greg and others, what the program is like. And if you want to call me an arrogant fool or snooty, hey that's your opinion, it's a free country. But this goes both ways and you can't blame me for getting angry if I feel insulted. Don't try to gang up on me just because your friend disagrees with what I said. Your friend hopefully, has a mind of his/her own and will defend him/herself. There is a difference between adding another perspective like what blinknoodle has done, and what mdhopeful has done, and just plain defending your friend because you feel the urge to do so with no valid point just as some people here did.

Guest Ian Wong

Hey everyone,

Things are rather heated in this thread. Let's try to keep the personal attacks out (and this goes for everyone contributing to this thread). There was a lot of great information being discussed previously before the content started breaking down; let's try to get back to that. :)

Thanks,

Ian

Guest TequilaFire

I received my acceptance from McMaster last Friday, and I made sure to send out my reply as soon as humanly possible. There was no way I would pass off such a perfect opportunity! I feel very fortunate to be going there, not for the reputation, or statistics, but for the learning environment, and the fantastic faculty I encountered when I took a tour. It does help that the program hones the skills essential for a health professional:) . In my humble opinion, I believe McMaster does an excellent job of filtering out the students who truly want to study there for the right reasons, from those that are pushed into such a career path. Since you were accepted, you surely have the right mindset for McMaster. Best of Luck in whatever pathway you choose, but I hope to see you in the fall...

Guest Jiatros

lol...i can't help but admit that this thread has been entertaining, a lot of 'positive' comments about this program being shot out by mr.wu...

let me tell you, b.h.sc isn't a program sent from the heavens...i am an alumni myself. i initially chose this program from all the hype that was out there as well, perhaps not the smartest choice. reality is, its the individual that makes success for herself or himself, not the program. i don't think bhsc is any more special than a regular science program at u of t or mac... in hindsight, it might have been wiser to go to a school at home, and save the money. pbl, self-directed, blah blah..etc etc.. it don't really mean sh@#, its up to you if you want to push yourself to the next level, the program ain't going to make you. i took many electives outside my program, more of the harder sciences, and surprisingly hth sci classes were my lowest marks...so don't think its a freebie programe of giving yourself an A+, in some classes profs give you a 'holistic' mark based on their impressions of you...without any standard tests or evals...and let me tell you, it doesn't always go well . small group sizes also can introduce disadvantages as well, sometimes knowing your profs on a first name basis isn't the best for you, you have to play politics...personally, a headache. thats why i can appreciate anonymity in larger classes.

whatever, its late, and all i wanted to say is this. don't bother spending lots of $$$$ to move away from home for b.h.sc. do well in school, work hard, make good friends (who aren't just interested in using you for their g.p.a) and make time for yourself.

best of luck to all,

peace.

Guest greggreg

Guys, thanks for answering all my questions. I just have one more.

I have been looking at the OMSAS GPA conversion table and I noticed that McMaster assigns letter grades as opposed to percentage grades.

The table can be found here:

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

I noticed that the only way to obtain a 4.0 at Mac is to obtain an A+ while at schools like U of T you will get a 4.0 as long as you have a 90. At Mac, how do they calculate your average grade for a given year (i.e. 5 courses). For example, what is you average if you get an A+ in one course and an A in another. Is it an A+ or an A?

Does this mean that the only way to get an A+ and thus a 4.0, is to have 3 A+s and 2 As?

It seems that it would be really tough to get a 4.0 GPA at Mac. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Thanks so much.

Guest McMaster Health

that's Mac's grading system:

(taken from registrar.mcmaster.ca/cal...ec_112.htm )

...Course results determined on a percentage scale will be converted to an official letter grade, as indicated in the equivalent percentage scale which follows. The results of all courses attempted will appear on your transcript as letter grades.

Grade Equivalent Grade Point Equivalent Percentages

A+ 12 90-100

A 11 85-89

A- 10 80-84

B+ 9 77-79

B 8 73-76

B- 7 70-72

C+ 6 67-69

C 5 63-66

C- 4 60-62

D+ 3 57-59

D 2 53-56

D- 1 50-52

F 0 0-49 -- Failure

>>>I noticed that the only way to obtain a 4.0 at Mac is to obtain an A+ while at schools like U of T you will get a 4.0 as long as you have a 90.

To get a 4.0 you need to get an A+ (a 12) which is an equivalent of any grade recieved that falls into range of anywhere from 90-100% (just like in most schools including UofT).

>>>For example, what is you average if you get an A+ in one course and an A in another. Is it an A+ or an A

Example of a Weighted Average Calculation, using the grade points and units for courses completed:

Course Grade Grade Points Course Units

A- 10 x 6 = 60

C+ 6 x 3 = 18

B 8 x 6 = 48

B+ 9 x 3 = 27

Total 18 153

To calculate Average: 153 / 18 = 8.5

>>>Does this mean that the only way to get an A+ and thus a 4.0, is to have 3 A+s and 2 As

No. You will have to get all A+ 's in order to get a 4.0.

Archived