Premed 101 Forums

Liberal Arts University

Guest nictif

Guest nictif

I'm close to making my final decision regarding University, and my heart is set on St. Thomas in Fredericton, NB, which is a small liberal arts University. They have an awesome psychology program, and since everyone tells me that undergrad is NOT the time to be trying to round up a medical education, I have managed to convince myself that an Arts degree will not be frowned upon. My only concern is that STU does not offer any Science courses at all, so my intent is to learn what I can on my own, and likely supplement that with summer and evening Science courses at UNB-F, which is right next door. Is it possible to acquire adequate MCAT preparation on your own or during the summers? I am quite ignorant aabout the actual difficulty and depth of the test, so some reassurance would be GREATLY appriciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Guest aneliz

The MCAT generally tests last year high school - 1st year university level science. It is likely possible to learn on your own, but would probably be easier with a few science courses done. That said, the only person that will be able to tell you if it is going to be possible is YOU! I suggest you pick up some MCAT practice materials, flip through them, and see what you think. If you think it is do-able, go for it. If not, then take some science courses.

And an arts degree will NOT be frowned upon...there are more than a few arts degree holders in my class. And UWO is actually getting rid of the pre-req courses and making an honours degree the only pre-req, specifically to attract students from a more diverse background (read arts and social sci).

Guest blinknoodle

You may want to see if it is possible to do all your science courses, while looking at the course pre-reqs, in the time you have available. You may also want to clarify what constitutes a full-time student if you mix and match courses between universities. Just some things to keep in mind. Otherwise your plan sounds great - you will definitely be able to learn the MCAT material by yourself.

-bn

Guest marbledust

Most schools will let you enroll as a visiting student at other institutions. You can often even get credit at your own institution for theses classes. Remember that you usually don't have to complete 100% of your degree at an institution. You may be able to use some UNB-F science classes towards your degree.

Usually all you need to do is get a letter of permission from your school and fill out a visiting student application and pay the fee at another school. Given that your school doesn't offer science classes and is so close to another institution, I would imagine this might be fairly common.

Having said that, if you are planning to enroll in another school's credit courses while still in the program at your own school, you need to get permission from your own school. This includes evening, weekend, or summer classes. I am not sure of the reason, but it is not allowed unless you have prior permission. It's usually just a matter of having the correct paperwork.

Good luck

Guest aneliz

Directly from the source....the UWO admissions committee...it is also posted on the UWO faculty website...

"Subject to Senate Approval. Will affect those applying in 2006 for entry in 2007

To be eligible to apply, students must have completed or be currently enrolled in a program leading to a four-year honours degree or equivalent from a recognized university and expect to have completed a minimum of 20 full or equivalent courses by the end of the academic year (September - April) in which application is being made.

Only those terms in which at least five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) are taken will be used in the calculation of GPA admission cutoffs.

Three full or equivalent senior courses (second year and above) must be included in at least one of the two undergraduate years being used to determine compliance with established GPA cutoffs.

The minimum GPA must be met in EACH of the two undergraduate years.

The second change is that we will no longer be asking for any prerequisites. however, we will state on our web site courses that we highly recommend you take."

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey nictif, I did my undergrad @ King's college in Halifax, which is affiliated with Dalhousie. My understanding is that it's a very similar setup as STU to UNB. I'm not sure, but I think you might be able to take UNB science courses as a STU student. That's what I did - took science coures at Dal.

As far as being a Liberal Arts college grad and getting into medicine, if you're smart and can attain the prereqs in terms of GPA* and MCAT being a Liberal Arts grad can only help you in the interview. Why? Do you know how many U of T Human Biology majors (or Queen's Life Sci, or any school's biochem or immunology) are interviewed each year for med school? It gets pretty boring interviewing 5 people in a row who did essentially the same degree.** I thought having the Liberal Arts College experience gave me something unique to talk about in my interview. In fact, when I myself interviewed students applying to UWO I found it was the interesting degrees (ie Liberal Arts, Engineering) that stood out on interview day.

*I would very much argue from experience that pulling off 3.70+ marks consistently is much more difficult in a true, subjectively marked, Liberal Arts program than in Science courses, where it's usually not too hard to get 90+ if you understand the material and memorize every detail. I'm sure some science major who aced his one bird history 101 course (that he intentionally took because he heard it was easy) might dispute this and try to turn this into YET ANOTHER "is arts easier than science" thread, but that was my personal experience.

** I should admit to the fact my actual majors WERE IN BIOCHEMISTRY AND MICROBIOLOGY/IMMUNOLOGY, so in a way I was that med applicant I am lampooing. :) But I maintain doing that degree at a Liberal Arts College (and taking lots of liberal arts course in the process) made me more interesting in my interview.

Guest noncestvrai

Interesting how a programme of study makes you more interesting in an interview according to some. In my humble opinion, I think that if you enjoyed your programme, did well and explained what you got out of your experience, you are set. Moreover, in all my interviews, my life experience outside school was also an important component of "making-my-application-stand-out".

Enjoy, do well and you have decent shot at medschool.

noncestvrai

Guest UWOMED2005

Very, very true.

What you do OUTSIDE of school is probably more interesting to the interviewing committee than what you do inside of it!

My point is only that doing a degree 'with a twist' (ie liberal arts background) gives you something interesting to talk about during your 45 minute interview. . . for about 5 minutes. :)

Archived