Premed 101 Forums

UWO or Ottawa? Advice for choosing?

Guest LKesq

Guest LKesq

Hi everyone,

I've narrowed it down to going to UWO or U of Ottawa for meds in september, but I'm having a hard time with my final decision.

I grew up in London and did my undergrad there, and I love the school, the people, and the "work hard play hard" attitude. I have a lot of friends returning to UWO, my serious girlfriend lives in London, I have great contacts in London Health Sciences, and Western's clerkship program is amazing.

Even though I never lived at home when I went to UWO, I've still got this feeling I should "get away" from London...an itch I feel I need to scratch if you will. I wanted to do my undergrad at Dalhousie (but didn't get into residence there so I didn't go) and ended up at UWO by default. Don't get me wrong, I totally loved it, but I've still got that urge to get away. Going to Ottawa would be a great chance to figure out if I'm up to the challenge of being completely independent, etc. Their program is also similar to Western's though not quite as traditional and less time in lectures. Ottawa is a beatiful city with lots to do, close to Montreal (a city I am very fond of), and I'd more than likely learn French while I was there (I speak a little already). But most importantly, it would be a change of scenery, a blank slate, a totally new experience.

I've talked to a number of physicians and current med students at both schools, and I won't regret my decision either way as they are both great places to learn medicine. I'm just looking for other how other people are going about making decisions about where to go, etc. Any advice would be appreciated from others who are in a similar position.

Thanks

Archived