Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected Class of 2010

Guest Jag

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Hey sukhbinder, I'm a white guy from Alberta who sat next to a brown guy from somewhere in Ontario (I don't remember where) on the 18th. Were you by any chance at 9:40, and did you apply to a bunch of US schools too. There were only 2 of us in my waiting room, not three. Long shot eh, but you never know! :lol

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest shetland23

hey guys, I was there on the 18th and at 940 too!!

Asian girl with her friend who was in med 1 and her dad kinda walked me in. lol. I am pretty sure I sat in with all of you

I thought I sat next to a brown guy, quite a fit looking guy as well... hmm

ps its not Jag as he was prob laying about in Mexico

lol sweet, my interview was on March 18th at 9:40am too!

I remember you shetland23. I remember that a med1's dad walked you in and was trying to calm you down.

I bet the fit looking brown guy was me...lol...

Guest shetland23

Were you next to me?

I was squashed between my friend (the girl in med 1) and perhaps you... lol.

I was too nervous to speak, except make small talk with the guy next to me.

Do you know Jag and the "President"??

SunE will you be attending U of Man?

I might have been next to you, I'm not sure. I can't remember much from that time.

I know Jag all too well....since back in Grade 7 actually...quite the character.

As for the president, no.

And yes I will be attending U of M in August.

Guest shetland23

awesome... are you excited about starting? What are you doing in the meantime?

Since grade 7, And you are still friends with Jag?... wow impressive ;)

Yeah it's pretty exciting, especially since you don't know what to expect. I'm more so relieved, because I never have to write the mcat again, no more going through the app process, etc, etc.

In the meantime I'm working and planning some trips. You and I have very similar jobs.

Yup, unfortunately I'm still friends with Jag. I keep trying to get rid of him, but he keeps following me around. It's crazy.

I am sooooo not looking forward to Jag's comments after reading this post...lol...he's going to let me have it.

Guest shetland23

how long have you been at your current job? I just feel so guilty of wanting to take off Aug to make a trip. but after speaking to med and dent friends they highly suggest I do it, even if it upsets the doctor I work under.

Jag if you are reading this, you know we are teasing you ;) x

ps i know what you mean about that... i dont ever want to go thru the experience of reapplying, let alone rewriting a MCAT *shudder*

Guest Hurts44

Hey Guys!!

I'm a Manitoba resident in undergraduate studies at Brandon University. My GPA was 4.1 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 8

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: N (and yes, english is my first and only language)

I was accepted by Manitoba. This is my first time applying to this school.

I only applied to U of M, so of course of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of M Med School as my first choice.

Date and Time of acceptance letter received: I checked my email on Tuesday at 3:45 in the middle of a meeting at work, and had to sit through the last hour of it without saying anything!!!

wow. i've heard of a number of people now who've gotten in with scores similar to mine. did i mess up the interview that badly?! i know i'm gonna definitely be working on my public speaking skills for the next time...

Guest silverjelly86

Yeah, I must have really f-ed the interview up, too, with a 10.5 MCAT (although I know it could be better) and a 4.35 AGPA. I would really like to hear what Beth has to say in my feedback telephone appointment next week.

ETA: VS12, I definitely feel your pain, but at least you can have some (a little?) comfort in being waitlisted rather than simply rejected. Geez, how could I have possibly screwed up the interview that badly?

Guest fever meds

VS: maybe also your essay?

silverjelly: your interview probably didn't work out. you also seem to really focus on your marks a lot. although they are good, they are only "average" (most matriculants have average scores). for interview to be less of an issue, in my opinion, you would need an MCAT around 12 and up, and AGAP of ~4.5.

Good luck next year.

I agree with fever. GPA means absolutely nothing, no matter how much you think it does. MCAT can matter depending on how high it is, but it usually can't make up for a terrible interview. Toss your marks aside and work on the interview alone.

Do they actually score the essay? I'd think it'd be really hard to put a number to something so... subjective. I always thought that the whole point of the essay was for the interviewers to glean stuff from it, and to use as a basis for questions. I figured it was the same with referee reports... and that all of that stuff was looked at holistically and in the context of the interview, the overall PAS score is determined. Though obviously, I have no idea if that's the reality... maybe the essay and stuff actually do make up a pre-determined score in the PAS, in which case, I'd better work on the whole package!

Guest Madz25

hey everyone,

thought i'd update - i just got a call from beth and im in!!! im OOP...good luck to everyone else on the waitlist! :rollin

many thanks to shet and lurker for giving up their waitlist spots!

madz

Archived