Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected Class of 2010

Guest Jag

Guest Madz25

hey all,

i got accepted at dal!! so i'll be declining my manitoba spot for the next OOPer. thanks soo much for all the support! i really appreciate it! and good luck to those still waiting.

madz

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope so. But realistically, it'd take a little more than small change in aGPA to move me from my position on the waitlist, to an acceptance. If it was indeed an oversight on their part, I'd be curious as to how many others this occurs to...

Guest JGracie

i was in the 2nd quintile too, and rejected! there were lots of manitoba applicants this year and therefore not everyone in the 2nd quartile got accepted or waitlisted, but it's only a handful of people. that's me, in that handful of reject. BLAH!

Guest 6Lemieux6

Just got an acceptance off the OOP waiting list, declined cuz I'm going to UWO...goodluck to people waiting..the OOP list is still moving

Guest kacgal

I just spoke to Beth regarding my general feedback (as I'm waitlisted). The one thing that surprised me was that she said that last year they burned through the OPP list (which is longer than the IP list of 30.....possibly 45?? I'm just guessing here) that they accepted a few IP in the OPP spots. So there is a little bit more hope for us IP waitlisters.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kacgal

Well, its official. The waitlist is still moving following the deferral meeting tues. I received my acceptance letter today. Good luck to those still waiting.

K

Guest kacgal

a deferral meeting is when the admission committee meets to decide on an individual basis if they will grant students deferrals once they are accepted into the class. For example, if you applied, were accepted to med but only had 1 yr left in your PhD then you could ask for a deferral to only start in next fall (class of 2011 instead of 2010) so that you can finish your PhD but still be guaranteed your spot for next year's class without reapplying.

Guest sunE
a deferral meeting is when the admission committee meets to decide on an individual basis if they will grant students deferrals once they are accepted into the class. For example, if you applied, were accepted to med but only had 1 yr left in your PhD then you could ask for a deferral to only start in next fall (class of 2011 instead of 2010) so that you can finish your PhD but still be guaranteed your spot for next year's class without reapplying.

When the faculty actually allows this, does it remove a spot from the next years class? For example lets say there are 100 seats available next year but a student has deferred from the year before. So does that mean there will be 101 students or 100 students (leaving actually 99 seats for new applicants)?

Guest kacgal

top 10, but they won't tell which of the 10. I do know that I wasn't first or second because one of my friends got her letter two weeks before me as well as another student my brother knows.

Guest sspnp

Hey guys. Do any of the med 1's remember how late into the summer OOP wait listers were getting acceptances last year? And does anybody have any idea how close they are to closing this year's OOP wait list? I'm currently on the OOP wait list and clinging to my last hope as I have been rejected from the other three schools I interviewed at. Slightly optimistic based on last year's stats where it seems that pretty much all the OOP wait listed people eventually got an acceptance.

They have accepted people off the waitlist right until the beginning of September in the past (ie. over a week of school has passed and they are still taking people)

Guest kacgal

I don't think we can say that there is a strick cut off for the MCAT for IP students. However, on e of my friends got in this year with a 9.5

K

Guest kacgal

well, I'm not sure exactly, but they are an NSERC funded student so it must be pretty close if not 4.5 (unadjusted). Plus, they are 1 year from being done their PhD in my Masters Department at UofM. So the CV is really outstanding otherwise too.

I know somebody who got in with a 9.25 and a roughly 4.0/4.5 gpa with only a 3 year undergrad degree

Oh yeah? I know someone that got in with a 9!

No idea about GPA though, also has a 3 year undergrad degree.

Archived