Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected Class of 2010

Guest Jag

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Madz25

LOL NRC boy!! haha yes i guess i'll be saving my parents a heck of a lot of money!

thanks for the congrats everyone :)

madz

Guest sukhbinder

Hey Lurker,

Yeah, I was 9:40 am on Saturday, March 18th. I was sitting beside one guy from Alberta (Calgary I think). And yes, I had Wiegand as one of my interviewers and I also applied to and interviewed in the US. It definitely is a small world! SunE, that means I probably wasn't sitting beside you. You must have been beside some other brown guy from Kingston.

Cheers and all the best!

Y

Guest kacgal

MCAT 10.5

AGPA ??? not sure as 2 undergrad degrees

currently MSc student w 1 publication (2 scholarships they don't know about as received AFTER interview)

EC: ER volunteer 5 yrs, youth grp leader 6 yrs etc

Jobs: TA, summer researcher, etc

Letter last monday: Waitlisted ...top 10/30 IP

chance of acceptance: high probability

thoughts: dying with anticipation

And yes, I had Wiegand as one of my interviewers. SunE, that means I probably wasn't sitting beside you. You must have been beside some other brown guy from Kingston.

But what are the odds there are two brown guys from Kingston, Ontario, both with Wiegand as an interviewer at 9:40am on Saturday, March 18th.

You MUST have been the one sitting beside me. I was the one that told you that I had wiegand as a prof, lol.

Guest ConfusedStudent

Sorry for going off topic..

kacgal: you said you volunteered in ER. ER = emergency room? How'd you get that?

*on topic*

Good luck to everyone on the waiting list, congrats to everyone that got accepted :)

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Congrats Madz. I'd be glad to have helped, but the fact is I haven't actaully got around to pulling my name off the waitlist yet, so you were actually higher than me! For the rest of you, I'll try to do that soon, but don't worry: if they call or email, I'll be like, 'no thanks, call someone else' right away. :lol

Guest hochunk

letter last week: we have an "administrative issue" that needs to be addressed, we will mail you an admission decision next week. (i was very surprised by this letter!)

letter today: congrats! you're in!

MCAT: 33R

PS: 10 VR: 11 BS: 12 WS: R

B.Sc.(Major) in Biochem & B.A. in Philosophy

AGPA: ~4.1

I am IP, this is my second time applying (waitlisted bottom third last year). I have only applied to U of M.

I will definitely accept.

Guest ConfusedStudent

Freedom: I did already try applying to 4 hospitals that I could easily get to (vic, st b, hsc, and mesocordia)

But most people I talk to who 'volunteer' I've never heard of one that works in the ER...that sounds like alot of fun to volunteer in the ER :)

If I get accepted hopefully I can do something as intresting as that :)

Guest Freedom

Actually, I volunteered at 2 ERs.

I think I heard there's opening on thursdays at the vic for the ER. Hopefully you get an opportunity there.

I personally wouldnt call it "fun" due to the nature of the surroundings, but it's an enlightening experience.

Guest Jeesing

I also volunteer at the vic ER. I think you can usually get an ER volunteering position when school starts up because of all the scheduling conflicts. But you should let the coordinators know you are interested earlier so they can try to accomodate and train you. There are 2 different ER positions at the vic that you can apply for ER ambassador or ER/OBS food delivery guy? Its a little sad i dont know my own title lol. It is a pretty popular volunteer position so they usually alternate the volunteers every week to try to accomodate more ppl.

Guest kacgal

My ER position is at St. B. I know they are still filling positions there as I trained a new person last week as well as I have another scheduled in two weeks. I think at St. B they look for a "certain " kind of person who they feel can handle the position/responsibility. But I also agree it helps to let the cordinator know what interests you. Sometimes they might also put you in another area until they can assess your strengths and weakness (in response to stress etc.......it can get stressfull riding up an elevator with a loabouring woman).

Good luck

Guest Kooman

I just got an email from Beth telling me that I am accepted off the OOP waitlist. I will be declining my spot. G'luck to everyone else that are still waiting.

Guest JGracie

i wonder if it's possible to burn through the OOP waiting list so that they move onto the IP waiting list. wouldn't that be fancy.

Guest hochunk

i volunteered in the ER at HSC. it's not that difficult to get volunteer positions at HSC, simply apply to the volunteer office and they do the routine background check on you.

I definitely wouldn't call it 'fun'. to be honest it's a lot of standing around, smiling, or opening doors for people... but i do think it depends on your personality. i'm not a particularly outgoing person that will sit down beside someone and start up a conversation, but if that's something you want to do, then you certainly do have opportunity in the ER. every once in a while you get a nice conversation going and it really brightens your day... and it sure beats doing the other tasks such as putting "urgent" stickers on charts and collecting wheelchairs from around the hospital.

p.s. i still have no idea what the 'administrative issue' was for my application, but yeah, all is forgiven now that i'm accepted!

Guest Lurkergonepublic

Got an OOP offer this morning, since I've been too lazy to remove my name... I declined, so it should be passed on down the list. Good luck!

;)

So I got my feedback back...

My interview was apparently in the 2nd quintile range, and Beth said that the only glaring thing I could have changed was that my agpa and mcat needed some sprucing up....

Strangely enough though, she listed my AGPA wrong. What was listed was the regular gpa, and not the one that takes into account the fact that courses get dropped...

Guest happy2bme

Wouldn't that make your AGPA higher and possibly garner you higher on the waitlist or possibly get accepted at the next opening??????

Guest silverjelly86

My AGPA was also lower than expected, because she used my IB grade (which I swear isn't supposed to be counted) and converted it to a 3.0 for 6 credit hours of English!

I ranked in the bottom quintile for the interview. The bottom. That's horrible. I don't know what to do, or how to improve if I did so badly.

Archived