Premed 101 Forums

Family and school

Guest jmmd

Guest jmmd

Hello,

Is anyone married and/or have children while in school? If so, do you have any time with your family/spouse? I am feeling guilty that I won't be there physically and financially for my family if I attended medical school. Any comments or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JMMD

Guest myfunnyvalentine

Hi,

Your concerns made me think about my own experience as a young child when my father was in med school at the U of A. My dad was always there for us during med school and during residency, and he also trained for marathons throughout. He often says he's never had so much free time as in med school (here's hoping we get the same impression).

Anyway, I'm just sharing so you know that others have done school with spouses and young children and it was a positive time. My observations of my father, his collegeages and other doctors that I have spoken with , is that whether or not you spend time with your family is based largely on whether or not you want to! As far as the lack of money goes, I don't recall feeling as though we didn't have a lot of money. Though keep in mind this was pre-game boy, and my brother and I thought playing with wooden blocks was the ultimate in fun.

Archived