Premed 101 Forums

extra currics

Guest confused555

Guest confused555

Hey everyone,

THis summer i'm doing clinical research on certain drugs and their effect on cardiovascular diseases. I know that research is really important for med school. Do you think clinical research in an office based setting is good enough or do med schools require lab research?

Also, is it a really bad idea to NOT have any volunteer work at a hospital?

I've done other volunteer work ( senior homes, tutorin kids, etc) but no hospitals. Would this be a huge disadvantage?

Guest sn0w0wl

I think ANY research experience looks good, and ANY volunteer experience looks good. How can the admissions committee qualify whether one kind is better than another? I think what is most important is what you will get (or have gotten) out of your experiences.

However, they will want to know that you understand what you're getting into with med school, which is where exposure to a health care setting can help. If you've volunteered in senior care homes, then wouldn't you have been exposed to social/mental aspects of age-related disease? A lot of it is how you present yourself and experiences to the adcom... do what you enjoy and go for diversity.

Good luck!

Guest physiology

Hey,

Clinical research is definitely more interesting on my side. You get to deal with people, not test tubes, PCR machines, and gel electrophoreses!

Anyway, just my two cents.

Cheers!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

First of all, regarding no volunteering, a pal of mine is currently in second year UofT meds and she had no volunteering experience at all.

As to clinical research, in my experience it does not disadvantage an applicant at all. In fact, if nothing else, it may provide advantages. Clinical research, by definition, involves patients. As such, often you will be able to be exposed to clinicians and catch a glimpse of their lives in action. This is one item that interested all of my interviewers this year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived