Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Waitlisted at Queens . First time applying

3.87 GPA, Mcats 35R (P11, B 12, V 12). EC's include research, lots of clubs and activiites, music, and hosptial volunteering, volunteering with kids, etc.

Hopefully i'll hear from queens by the end of the summer - to all of those accepted elsewhere get off of the queens list ! (just joking.... well not really :P )

Hey all,

Hopefully at some point throughout the summer, I'll be able to come back and edit this post.

This was my first time applying for medical school.

Undergrad GPA at U of T: 3.5 (3.83 for last two years)

MCAT score: 35Q (10PS, 12 BS, 13 VR)

Extracurriculars: Lots of international development work, 1 year working as a consultant for the WHO

I was rejected pre-interview at McGill, Ottawa, U of T, Mac.

I interviewed at King's College London (UK), Barts and the London (UK), Warwick (UK), Queen's and Western

I have been accepted to Warwick and Barts, waitlisted at Queen's and Western.

I would like to attend Queen's as my first choice, but may attend Barts as I have to make a firm decision by early June.

Looks like I managed to get into Queen's! Queen's is my first choice, so I will be seeing some of you next year. That is, if I succeed in cutting my way through the paperwork required to complete my degree by the end of the summer.

MCAT

Physical Sciences: 14

Verbal: 12

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: S

Undergrad

School: University of Manitoba

Major: Biochemistry

Minor: Mathematics

OMSAS GPA: 3.69 (lol :D)

Extracurriculars

• lots of lab experience

• 8 publications (one first author)

• Envirothon team captain

• guitar

• other odds and ends, no heavy volunteering

Application history

First-time applicant

Home Province: Manitoba

Applied: McGill, U of T, Queen's, 5 US schools (MD/PhD)

Rejected pre-interview: McGill, 5 US schools

Waitlisted: U of T

Accepted: Queen's!

ah... sad post... but here goes:

MCAT: 10/10/13 Q

cGPA: 3.72

top 2 years: 3.92

EC: tons of awards, long term tutoring, long term hospital volunteering, lots of acting in hs, a bit of lab work - no publications, a few clubs.

waitlisted @ queens & western

queens would be my first choice!

MCAT 10/11/12Q.

GPA: 3.80

Research: summer NSERC grant

ECs: competitive swimming, starting a club (multi-ethnic organization), soup kitchen, Native reserve summer camps, volunteer coordinator, hospital volunteer, overnight children's camps, day camps

Accepted at Queen's and U of T, waiting to hear back from UBC. Will go to UBC if accepted, if not U of T.

ETA: Have been accepted at UBC and will be declining Queens and U of T.

4th year applicant

Undergrad: UWO (Honors Specialization in Physiology)

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 36P (10VR, 12PS, 14BS)

EC: 4th year research project, some clinical research experience, volunteer at a geriatric health centre, 5 yrs as an overnight camp counsellor

Applied: U of T, Western, Queen's, Ottawa, McMaster

Rejected Pre-Interview: U of T, Western, McMaster

Waitlisted: Ottawa (Bad Waitlist), Queen's

Got into Queen's. This is my 1st time applying.

Undergrduate: UofT, 3rd year applicant (Anthropology and Biology Major)

GPA: 3.86/4.0 (Most Recent 2 years' grades)

MCAT: 33S (10V, 12BS, 11PS)

ECs: 1)Lots of volunteering experience at hospitals and home for seniors. 2)Externship experiences related to various fields of medicine (e.g.: GI, FP, Pediatrics, etc). 3)some traveling, etc

I have no research experience.

Congratulations Vector, we have the same decision to make - I was accepted at Queen`s and U. of M. (waitlisted at U. of C.). Congratulations to absolutely everbody. Indeed, even getting an interview is a rare accomplishment. If things do not work out as planned this year, be proud and know that you are still awesome and that the end is nowhere in sight. In life there are often dissapointments, but I believe there is a method to its madness. As for the stats that I am supposed to put up:

MCAT: 36P

GPA: 3.99 (of 4.0)

Degree: B.Sc. General (3 year degree) at U. of M.

ECs & Employment: A lot of tutoring, T.A. in Biology, Volunteer in Observation & Emergency Unit at hospital, Nursery worker & Sunday school teacher at my church, Fundraising through church... To be honest, I have almost no work experience (T.A. and call centers).

The Queen`s interview went great (took less than 30 minutes and we talked about movie screenplays). I was a lot less confident about the U. of M. interview (it took about 1h 10min and we also talked about screenplays). Yes, I am a film fanatic.

I wish everybody the BEST OF LUCK!!!

I'm an Alberta resident in graduate studies (MSc). My GPA was 3.6 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12, 10)

Verbal: (9, 10)

Biological Sciences: (11, 11)

Written Sample: (Q, Q)

(1st number = second time writing)

I was accepted by Queens. This is my second time applying to this school. (Rejected two years ago)

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend Queen's as my first choice.

undergrad at mac.

accepted at queens and western, rejected at mac.

rejected pre-interview at ottawa and u of t.

37R (11BS/14PS/12VR)

omasa gpa- 3.83

on a varsity team, some student societies, intramurals. lots of research experience, although no publications.

i'll be going to western, so here's a spot for a waitlister. good luck!

I can't believe I'm writing one of these now...

I'm doing my undergrad at Queen's. I'm a third year. My GPA was 3.99 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (12)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Written Sample: ®

I was waitlisted by Queens, but then accepted off the waitlist.

Extracurricular/job stuff: I pretty much did stuff that interested me or that I thought would be fun, so I ended up with a couple of activities/hobbies that were slightly unusual like flower arranging (which interestingly came up during my interview...) Kooky experiences aside, I volunteered in hospitals and briefly shadowed a doctor. I also got to be in a couple of what other people would call leadership positions.

I am a third year student at UTM doing a Life science degree. This is my first time applying:

Accepted: Queens'

Rejected pre interview: Toronto, Ottawa, Mac, and Western

Stats:

GPA: 3.99 (4.0 according to U of T calc)

MCAT: 39R: 12VR, 13PS, 14BS

Extracurriculars: Research, volunteer at a hospital, Medical First Responder with my campus special response team, and I volunteer at an organization that assists individuals with intellectual disabilities (Community Living Mississauga). I also teach MCAT preparation at a major test prep company. Other interests: Ballet, Karate, Swimming, Yoga, working out, Editor in Chief of my yearbook club at high school (these were all the interests that came up at the interview)

I also got to briefly shadow a cardiac surgeon and a family physician.

Last year I underwent major emergency surgery, and I was able to talk about that most poignantly (lol) at my interview. I told them that since I know first hand how patients feel, I will make an especially compassionate doctor.

I am so happy to be able to post this; I can't believe it's happening.

I just finished my B.Sc. Honours in Biochemistry at UNB. My GPA was 3.90/4.0 and my MCAT was:

Physical Sciences: (14)

Verbal: (13)

Biological Sciences: (12)

Written Sample: (Q)

I was waitlisted by Queens, but then accepted off the waitlist.

Extracurricular/job stuff: I coached a youth basketball team, went on a mission trip to Belize with my church, volunteered at a nursing home, volunteered at the local hospital. I had an NSERC grant one summer as well.

I was getting ready to make plans for next year and then got the email. So happy right now!

I'm a New Brunswick resident. I have a BSc in Biochem and a MSc in Transplant Immunology. My undergrad GPA was 3.8 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 10

Written Sample: Q

I was accepted by Queens. This is my first time applying to this school.

I'm a BC/Alberta resident. My GPA was dismal for my first few years but got better, and my M.Sc. marks were 3.9. My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 12

Biological Sciences: 14

Written Sample: Q

I was waitlisted by Queens and U of C, but I just got into Queens off the waitlist. This is my second time applying to Queens, but I didnt make the cutoffs last year.

EC's/jobs/other stuff: worked as a lifeguard for 5 years, 2 years working for an optometrist, Graduate Student Society, volunteering for AIDS Vancouver, lots of other random things over the years.

Right now, it feels like a huge weight is off my shoulders. Unless Calgary calls me off the waitlist (my family is there), I will be joining you all in Kingston as part of MEDS2011!

Time to celebrate! Woo-hoo!

Cheers!

So happy to be posting this...

I have a Honours B.Sc. (specialty in molecular bio, major in chem, 2004) and a Master's degree in Biomedical Technology (1-year course-based program, 2005). Undergrad's last two years GPA was 3.81 (rounded down). Wrote the MCAT twice (2003 and 2006):

Physical Sciences: (11, 13)

Verbal: (11, 10)

Biological Sciences: (14, 12)

Written Sample: (M, Q)

Second time applying (applied in 2003/2004 cycle but rejected pre-interview). Got rejected pre-interview by UofA, UofT, rejected post interview by UBC, waitlist at UofC and Queens (accepted today by Queens!)

Extracurricular/job stuff: Worked part-time since I was 16 (cept for 1 yr) - about 4 years in retail, then in a lab for 2, worked summers in retail. Have been employed in the last two years as a Clinical Research Coordinator dealing with aspects of managing clinical trials in the cancer centre in Calgary (my clinical/hospital experience). My practicum with the master's program was writing up a clinical trial protocl for lung cancer. Aside from stuff done during high school (those that were in the application included dance/drama production, choir and volleyball), volunteered at the Science Centre in Calgary starting Feb '06 (~90 hours by the application deadline), played in volleyball leagues once a week since Jan '06

And yes, I re-studied for the '06 Aug MCAT (started last week of April '06), 2 years since my undergrad, while working full-time, volunteering bout 12 hours each in those months, volleyball once or twice a week and using the Kaplan review book and flew from Calgary to write the test in Vancouver as I had a family wedding to attend right after my exam! It was hard and exhausting (and I wouldn't recommend it) but do-able! :D

Good luck to all future applicants!

I'm an NB resident, and this was my first time applying. I have a B.Sc. (Honours biology) from Memorial University, with a 4.0 GPA. My MCAT score was 30P (10 in each section). Employment: 3 NSERC USRA's, two summers in a science museum. I was heavily involved in sports and music throughout undergrad, and spent my junior year studying in Massachusetts through a fellowship program.

I was accepted at Queen's, and rejected post-interview from Ottawa, Dalhousie, and Memorial.

See you in the fall!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in!

I'm a BC resident. I haven't kept track of my grades too closely. Undergrad wasn't great, maybe 3.5 average. Grad school (MSc) 4.0 average. Both degrees from UBC. MCAT 11 11 10 S and 13 11 10 P.

The first time I applied for medicine was in 2000. I've applied and been rejected without an interview many times from many schools. Queens class of 2011 was the first interview I've had, and goes to show, you only need one!

See you all in the fall,

dh

• 10 months later...