Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

3rd year undergrad at U of T

cGPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14P/11V/15B/Q

Applied: U of T, Queen's, Mac, Ottawa

Interviewed: U of T, Queen's

Accepted: U of T

Waitlisted: Queen's

I will be attending U of T, and have already removed myself from Queen's waitlist. I hope that helps some fellow applicants on the waitlist.

Sorry this is late!!! But wanted to confirm everything before I posted stuff:

IP 3rd year applicant

Applied: UBC, USask, UOttawa, UofA, UofC, UofT, Queen's

Interviewed: Queen's, UofA, UofC

Waitlisted: Queen's, UofC

Waitlisted then Accepted: UofC

Accepted on the 15th: UofA

I will be attending the UofA

cGPA: 3.87

MCAT: 34Q (with a 31Q [10-10-11-Q] the first time I wrote it) 12-9-13-Q

ECs: lots of leadership (i think this is what got me in, but who knows what actually goes on behind those doors), 5 years of hospital volunteering, 3 summers of research

I've been lurking these forums for a couple of years now, and now I can finally help people with some useful info, I thought I'd post my stats as a grad applicant and give some people hope for future years.

Grad GPA: 3.85ish I think...

Grad productivity: some conference presentations, abstracts, no publications (I'm working on it, sooooon...), departmental and institutional fellowships

Undergrad GPA: 3.55 (Engineering)

Best two years: 3.6ish (not much better I know...)

MCAT: 34Q (11-11-12-Q), first time I wrote it was 32Q (11-12-9-Q)

ECs: In my opinion, nothing world changing, but I commit to activities for long periods of time - Research (4 years and counting, including my master's work), Hospital volunteering (2 yrs), youth counselor (6 years), student leader of professional society chapter in undergrad (3 years), youth convention organizer (3 years)

I had 1 Canadian interview at Queens, (Interviewed at two american schools as well, after to applying to about a thousand of them) and got off the waitlist on friday! I'll be attending Queen's!

I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday at 8:15am!

IP 4th year applicant in the BScH Psych program at Queen's

GPA: 3.6

MCAT: 34Q (12 12 10 Q)

I interviewed at Queen's and Western and was wait listed at both.

I've accepted Queen's offer.

Stats:

cGPA: ~3.80

Best two years: 3.85

MCAT: 34Q

EC's: intramurals, 4 years of hospital volunteering, NSERC, clubs, camp work.

Applied: Mac, UOttawa, UofT, Queen's, Western, Dalhousie, American schools (~10)

Interview: St. Louis University, Queen's, Western

Accepted: St. Louis University, Queen's University

I will be accepting Queen's University for another 4 great years in Kingston!

Good luck to those still waiting! There's still lots of movement left!

Hey,

MCAT 11-physics, 10-verbal, 12-bio, R

cumulative GPA for 3 years (my calculated OMSAS value) - 3.91

Applied to all Ontario schools except NOSM

Interviewed at Western, Queen's and MAC

Waitlisted at all 3

Excepted May 29th at MAC, June 3rd at Queen's

Provisionally accepted Queen's recently.

Also, I made a point of doing no hospital volunteering (though if the question "how did you know medicine was for you" came up, hospital volunteering probably could have been helpful, but as you can see, every person on this forum does it so while it's good for personal growth, it doesn't set you apart). I worked with habitat for humanity which was more fun than anything else and great for communication skills, teamwork, etc. I built that up pretty hard and really advocate it to anyone. No house-building experience needed! A friend of mine asked me to tutor for his charity and I did that for two years, just an hour a week. I worked for a biotech. company in R&D doing ELISAs and worked with Hybridoma cells (truthfully boring stuff most of the time), and some other jobs, overnight camps. I did not go to Africa and save the world. I did not climb Mt. Everest. I did things I enjoyed doing (guitar, hockey, nutrition...) and would have been happy doing even if I never got into medical school after 1001 application cycles. That's my advice, so take it or leave it. GOODLUCK

I posted this in the UWO area earlier, but might as well do it here too!

cGPA: 3.76

Best two: 3.92

MCAT: B-12, PS-10, VR-10, WS-S (32S)

ECs: Lots of hospital volunteering, long term care home volunteering, club execs, a few instruments, but nothing really out of the ordinary

Interviewed: Queen's, Western

Waitlisted: Both

Accepted!: Western

I've given Western a firm acceptance - best of luck to those still waiting! There's one less person on the waitlist...although who knows where I was on it haha

accepted in the intial waves but was too lazy to post lol.

GPA 3.95

MCAT 11 10 12 Q

ECs: Worked part time in hospital. volunteered in a lab throughout the year, did some international volunteering stuff, other local volunteering with CBS and continued to play sports and what not.

cGPA: 3.67

Best 2-years: 3.88

MCAT: 37S

Interviewed: Alberta, Calgary, Queen's, Western

Waitlisted: Calgary, Queen's

Accepted: Western (June 16 off the waitlist!)

ECs: Backpacking in Europe and the Middle East, research, hospital volunteering, St. John Ambulance, youth group, student society, all the usual suspects...

• 10 months later...

accepted!

MCAT 32R

cGPA 3.98ish

interview only lasted about 15 minutes so this came as a HUGE shock to me!

interviewed: NOSM, queen's, ottawa

waitlisted: NOSM, ottawa (good waitlist)

will be accepting my queen's offer (of course)

can't wait to meet everyone in the fall!

Glad to see we all survived the pm101 crash :P Yesterday was insane!

Anyway,

Accepted!

4th Year - U of T

Interview I thought went really well. Of course you never know what to expect.

Results at other schools:

Accepted: Queen's, UWO (London), Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlisted: McMaster, Dalhousie

I am torn 50/50 on whether to go to Queen's or UWO. I will be visiting both campuses this weekend, and will hopefully have my decision made by Monday or Tuesday. Would love to help you folks out on the waitlist sooner than later.

Congratulations everyone!

3.9 (most recent 2 years) - 2 undergrad degrees (BA in Kin and a BHSc).

32S (12,10,10)

EC's fairly usual. Lots of sports and travel, a little research but with no pubs, and lots of stuff with the Cancer Society.

Applied: Ottawa, Queen's, UWO, Dal, NOSM

Interviewed: Ottawa Queen's

Waitlisted: Queen's

Accepted and Attending: Ottawa!

I really liked Kingston and the vibe given off by the med school. They should have a beautiful new building for 2012.... However, I'm absolutely thrilled to be going to Ottawa and the program they have there.

Will obviously be removing myself from the waitlist. I hope I was high enough on the waitlist to move it along for someone. Hang tough. I was waitlisted and Queen's last summer and never got off it. It's a rough process... try to find something to distract yourself and get thinking about what you can do to make yourself better for next year. Easier said than done I'm aware.

Congrats to everyone accepted, and best of luck to the wait listed!

Hi everyone!

Accepted

Had undergrad completed in Biology/Neuroscience

GPA : 3.78

MCAT: 32S (11/10/11)

Thought the interview went really well; asked lots of questions and expressed how impressed I was with school/cirriculum/city!

Also accepted at UofT and MUN.

Will be accepting Queens. Can't wait to meet you all!

Accepted!

Masters student at U of T, undergrad from U of T, and certificate in American Sign Language and Deaf Studies from GBC

cGPA: 3.22 (so yes, friends, it IS possible...)

Best two years GPA (at time of applying): 3.93 and 3.84

MCAT: 9p, 11v, 11b and S.

Applied: UWO, Toronto, MacMaster, Queen's, NOSM, Calgary

Interviewed: Western, Queen's

Accepted: Queen's, high waitlist at Western (have removed myself from the waitlist)

ECs: intercollegiate and international-level synchronised swimming (going to worlds this summer), program coordinator at a swim club, volunteering in phys. ed program at a local high school, school clubs and committees, some published work in a commercially-available academic program, research (thesis + undergrad project + research assistant positions), etc.

Interview: I felt it went particularly well. Everything felt very natural, and interviewers were responsive, and at the end we talked quite a bit about the program, as well as the synchro program at Queen's. I was the LAST interview on the LAST day, which I feel was a fortunate spot to be in.