Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

4th year undergraduate from the University of Windsor. Just graduated from the Behaviour, Cognition, and Neuroscience program.

OMSAS cGPA: 3.92 (best 2 years is higher)

My MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 11

Written Sample: S

Applied to: UWO, UofT, Mac, Queens, Ottawa, and Calgary

Rejected pre-interview: UofT & Calgary

Intervewed: UWO, Mac, Queens, Ottawa

Rejected post-interview: Mac

Waitlisted: Queens, Ottawa

Accepted: UWO!

UWO was my top choice! I got kind of depressed in the morning after one rejection and 2 WL's, but it turned out alright :D .

ECs: doctor shadowing on/off for a year or so, 4 years of research (including an honours thesis, 3 conference presentations, authorship on several abstracts accepted at conferences, 2 NSERCs, one summer and several semesers of paid research work, no publications), 2 years as an advisor at the UWindsor advising centre, long-term member of a student club (1 exec position in it) and then some hobbies: guitar and frisbee mainly. Never stepped foot in a hospital.

Getting into medical school is a long journey and a multi-step process. Tackle each step one at a time.

I've already withdrawn from the waiting list. Someone is going to be potentially very happy in the next few weeks!

Waitlisted

3rd year

13/10/13 Q

Rez staff, karate instuctor, shadowing, working in a docs office, badminton instructor, tutoring, etc etc just random stuff...

I have a feeling that everyone got waitlisted :confused: I know if anyone got rejected they wouldn't be as inclined to post but there has to be SOMEBODY that would post.....

On the other side of the coin though, congrats to everyone that go in :) Hopefully there's a fair bit of movement and I get to see some of you next year!

In past years I found it very helpful to read the detailed stories of people who were admitted to try and figure out what I had to do to make myself competitive so here goes?

I?m a non-trad student

First undergrad cGPA ~3.2

M.Sc cGPA ~3.9

Second undergrad cGPA ~3.9

MCAT ? 13PS/10VR/Q/13BS

Queen's is awesome for non-trads as they only look at your most recent 2 years, I think my 2 year GPA was ~3.85-3.9. I wrote the MCAT a million times to try and break the 10VR/R written combo, thank goodness it was a 10Q this year.

From grad school and summer research during my second undergrad I had 8 publications (3 first author), 2 oral presentations at conferences, 4 posters (first author), and also co-authored a grant. I had a CIHR award for grad school, and got a couple small awards during my second undergrad. My LORs were from my M.Sc. supervisor, my summer research supervisor, and from my volunteering supervisor.

For EC?s I?ve done a lot of sports stuff, mainly 2 sports that I?ve done competitively for many years, was on varsity teams, and also coached. I?ve been on student council, played intermurals, and done TAing/tutoring. I?ve also volunteered in a hospital in a position that has very high patient contact, and done shadowing in the clinic with my grad supervisors.

This year I applied to: UofC OOP, Dal OOP, McGill OOP, NOSM, Western, Mac, UofT, and Queen?s

Interviewed: UofC, Dal, UofT, Queen?s

Accepted: UofT, Queen?s, Dal

TBD: UofC

I thought the Queen?s MMI went ok, some good stations, some so-so. I liked the more traditional panel station at the end, I felt that I got a better chance to explain who I was, why I wanted to go into medicine, why queen?s etc.

I will be accepting UofT for this fall, Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Finally getting around to posting.

Accepted (and will be attending)

3rd year undergrad

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 36R

Interview was definitely good, and I enjoyed the panel. The MMI being as open ended as it was was a huge plus for me.

Applied to: UofT, Mac, Queens, Ottawa, and Calgary

Intervewed: Mac, Queens, Ottawa, Calgary

Waitlisted: Ottawa

Accepted: Queens, Mac

Waitlist (good): Ottawa, Queen's

Accepted: Toronto

4th Year

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 11/10/11 Q

LOR's: 2 PI's (both were happy with my work), 1 high school guidance counsellor (knows me for many years, very good letter)

EC's: lots of volunteering with disabled individuals (starting in grade 8), executive positions on youth councils/student councils/clubs, many long-term hobbies (cycling, painting, etc.), volunteering at local and international hospitals, 2 summers of research (1 publication) and honours thesis

Interview: first and only MMI ever, did ok at most stations, but could have done less rambling at a few others (I was also one of the last interviewees of the day, so I could tell that some of the interviewers seemed quite tired). Could have performed better during the panel. I was also a little thrown off by the fact that they spent the first 5 minutes interviewing me from the wrong file (someone else's file). Did not feel great about this interview.

I will be accepting toronto, so hopefully this will help with the waitlist movement. Good luck y'all!

Received news on May 5th

cGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 9PS/12VR/11BS/Q

Applied: Queens, Ottawa, McMaster, Western, U of T

Interviewed: Queens, Ottawa, McMaster, Western

Waitlisted: Queens, Ottawa (good waitlist), McMaster

Accepted: Western (London)

Will be attending: Western

Interviews:

Western: went great - Interviewers were all smiles and there were a lot of laughs going around. I felt like I really had a chance to shine and show off the best about myself.

Ottawa: Interview was so-so. Interviewers were very impressed with my sketch, although one of them was actually looking at another applicant's sketch for most of the time, lol. Got grilled on ethical questions which I answered adequately, but should have been more prepared for.

Queens: Not so hot.

McMaster: Did as well as I could for an MMI, which at the end of the day, just isn't my thing. Felt pretty good about myself afteerward.

Western was my top choice, though Mac was a close second. I guess the decision was made for me though

Good luck to everyone!!

Applied to every single Ontario school; offered one interview (Queens); waitlisted until today, now accepted!

MCAT: 13/12/14 Q

GPA: 3.53

Congrats Rogerdodger! I know how you feel. I also applied to every Ontario school and only got an interview at Queen's. I was accepted off the waitlist last Friday, and I look forward to meeting you this fall.

MCAT: 12/12/12 Q

GPA: 3.54

M.Sc. Grad

just like the 2 posters above, i applied to all ontario schools and only got interviewed at Queen's then waitlisted

12 10 (VR) 12 R

4th year

2nd time on the waitlist and feels thankful that it worked out this time

-edit: i was offer the spot on monday

• 11 months later...

Accepted.

I checked 15 minutes ago and I'm still shaking. In disbelief. Years of hard work and its paid off... what an emotional roller coaster waiting for results.

3.3ish cGPA/ 4.0 Masters

11/11/R/10 (PS/VR/WS/BS)

MMI... I was sure I bombed the first station, felt pretty good about everything else, but there's no way to know.

I'm going to go run around in circles somewhere.

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: VR 10, PS 11 BS 11 S

Thought the interview went badly, completely nixed it as a rejection and praying for a waitlist. So so so thankful!

-

Interviews: Dal, UCAL, MedMun, Ottawa, Mac, Queens, UofT

Rejected: MedMun

Waitlisted: Dal, UCal, Mac, Ottawa

Accepted: Queens!