Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 8:46 EST

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.90? Not sure

MCAT: 514 (129/128/129/128)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Both went pretty well, mmi felt better than panel so was expecting a Waitlist. 

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Sat Mar 27

ECs:  Definitely best part of my application. Lots of research and a few first author pubs in high IF journals (6+ years), diverse work in “non-trad” fields, major awards/scholarships, professional certificates. Volunteering in areas I am passionate about. 

Year: Msc (lab work) done

Geography: IP

after a few cycles it feels incredible... all I can say is what’s been repeated so many times; keep trying if it’s your dream.

Timestamp: 8:46 AM

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.98 or so

MCAT: 523 (132/128/131/132)

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: Felt good about the MMI, with 50+ hours of interview practice under my belt. I was way less confident about the panel; I don't think I raised any red flags, but some of my answers felt unstructured and rushed. 15 minutes passes by quickly!

Panel Date (Saturday March 27th or Sunday March 28th): Sat Mar 27

ECs:  Some pre-COVID volunteering and a few undergraduate and high school clubs. I tried to present a consistent theme across the type of clubs I joined so I could more easily summarize my interests and experiences. Two summers of research, but no pubs. Really interested in research though; I tried to sell myself as a future clinician scientist based on my consistent interest/involvement in my field of research over time. 

Year: Just finished 3rd year undergrad

I can't believe I got into Queens! I thought my chances were super low compared to other schools, since I heard Queens has a reputation for accepting more mature/older students. Although it wasn't my top choice when I applied in October, I really grew to love the school based on my experience with interviews and post-interview activities, as well as from talking to current students. I have a tough decision to make now between Queens and Mac...

Congrats to everyone else who was accepted! For anyone else, good luck in future cycles!!!

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 

2YRS: 3.96

MCAT: 516 

ECs: Diverse, strong, leadership. 2nd author pub.

Interview:  thought it was my best ..panel was actually fun. whaddya  know :) 

In-person or Virtual: V

Year: 2020 grad

Removing myself from the waitlist. All the best everyone !!!!

Timestamp: 8:46 AM

2YRGPA: 3.93 CGPA: 3.93

MCAT: 520

ECs: Part of a research study but no pubs, long term hospital volunteering, clubs, small business, intramural sports. 

Interview thoughts: I felt really mediocre about it. Was not expecting a panel interview. Panel was really hard to judge because there was some lag and it's only 5 minutes.

Year: Graduated 2019

Guaranteed interview from last year: Yes

The RELIEF!!! Honestly, getting the email I felt more relieved than happy I think. The waiting and suspense year-after-year killed it, which is why the post is delayed. Appreciate everyone on this forum, couldn't have done it without some of the resources and people on here! Not sure if I will be accepting yet, have the privilege to decide between Mac (niagara), Western, and Queens!

Congrats to everyone who received offers! To those on the waitlist, I feel your pain, tough it out, and worst case, you know how close you were, readjust and be sure of it next time! To those that need to reapply, I know it's tough, believe me, but you learn something through every cycle. Keep your head up, be smart about what you can and need to change and kill it next year!

• 2 weeks later...

The waitlist moved today and I got in! Reposting for stats. 

---------- 

Result: Accepted off of the waitlist

Timestamp: 11:27AM EST 

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.96/- 

MCAT: 520 (130/128/132/130) 

MMI and Panel Interview Thoughts: I felt like I was at the top of my game for the MMI. While the panel interview started kind of bad, I think it eventually got better and better with a strong finish. 

Panel Date: Sat March 27

Year: 3

Geography: OOP

---------- 

Honestly, I can't believe it. I've spent the past two weeks in a bit of a depression because I got rejected from my in-province school. Queen's was my top choice all along though so I'm so shocked that things turned out exactly how I wanted them to be. Can't wait to meet the QMed Class of 2025 in September! :)

19 hours ago, seaberry said:

If you apply while entering your fourth year, is it possible that your wGPA would include both 3rd and 4th year?

No, as they only get the grades from the OMSAS deadline. Otherwise they’d have to recalculate everyone’s GPa. 

• 2 months later...

Posting for the benefit of future applicants :)

-----------------------------------------------

Result: Accepted off waitlist, May 26

4YRS GPA/2YRS GPA: 3.97 / 3.99 (Yr 1: 3.94, Yr 2: 3.93, Yr 3: 4.00, Yr 4: 3.99)

MCAT: 513 (128/127/127/131) 

ECs: Well-rounded. Diverse and wide-ranging. Unique. Good-quality entries in every ABS category. Most importantly -- these were things I enjoyed spending time on.

Year: Completed BSc in May 2020, followed by employment

Starting QMED at the end of August!

• 9 months later...

Result: Accepted off the waitlist (May 31st at 11:06 EST)

Geography: OOP

cGPA and 2yrs GPA:  cGPA 3.72/2yrs GPA 3.90

MCAT: 509 (125/128/127/129)

Casper (quartile): 4th

Year: Finished undergrad

ECs: Quite strong and diverse, with some longer commitments. Scored in the 75-100th percentile for UBC NAQ. Employment: 3600 total hours (mostly clinical research, but approx. 1000 hrs was working in a grocery store). Research: One 3rd author pub in an >5 IF journal. Volunteer: 1000 total hours (fairly even split between leadership positions, hospital volunteering, summer camp counsellor and youth sports coach). ECs: 5000 total hours (very unique and personal so not willing to share much more online). Awards: Listed 5 total (both service-based and academic).

Interview Thoughts:  I felt overall bad about my MMI (2/6 good, 2/6 mediocre, 2/6 awful), but good about the panel. I do generally interview well though and many others agreed the MMI was tough, so take it with a grain of salt.

----------

Extremely thrilled to be in this position! This was my top choice and only offer so will be accepting.