Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Accepted

GPA/MCAT: prefer not to disclose, but my GPA was strong and my MCAT right around the cutoffs

ECs: some research, pretty involved with a number of sports-related initiatives, helped out at Student Health Services for two years, involved with the Canadian Medical Hall of Fame and the Discovery Day events in London, have worked on campus for the last three years, few other things here and there ...

Interview: Thought my Queen's interview went very smoothly.

I was also accepted at UWO and waitlisted at Toronto and Ottawa. I just firmly accepted my offer at UWO a few minutes ago, so a spot will be opening up at Queen's for someone!

OOP

BSc + 2 years work/travel

GPA: 3.88ish

MCAT: 35R (12B/11V/12P)

Typical ECs

Felt it was my worst interview (horrible pre-interview morning), but apparently it wasn't terrible...

Applied: Ottawa, Mac, Dalhousie, UofT, Queens, Calgary

Interviewed: Ottawa, Mac, Queens

Wailisted: Ottawa, Mac, Queens...I may set the record for number of hotmail checks by the end of this year!

I keep forgetting to post my stats...here they areee:

Accepted!

Last 2 years GPA: ~3.8

MCAT: 11P/13V/13B/S

ECs: pretty standard, coordinator for a YMCA club, some choir and performance stuff, 3 years lab work, 2 pubs

Interview: was 15 mins long :eek: , but other than being very short, I thought it went well!

I have declined my Queen's offer and accepted UWO, gl to everyone on the waitlist!

Whoops, I never posted my stats on the forum.

MSc student

2 year GPA: 3.76

MCAT: 10 PS / 11 VR / 11 BS / R WS

Applied to: Western, Queen's, U of T

Interviewed at: Western, Queen's

Accepted at Queen's, High Waitlisted at Western

I thought my interview at Western was a little shaky, and that my Queen's interview was very good. Looks like I'm in the minority whose impression of their interviews is accurate. ;) I would recommend to future applicants to schedule your interviews for your more desired schools near the end - I think that my nerves got the best of me during my UWO interview, and I was very calm during my Queen's interview.

Western is my preferred school, so I will be waiting to see what happens with their waitlist during the next two weeks before responding to my Queen's offer.

Congratulations to everyone accepted this cycle, and good luck to those on the waitlist! To future applicants: keep your chin up. I found undergrad and the whole med school application process to be very exhausting at times, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I already posted my stats in the U of A forum, here they are again:

I'm a in province resident in my third year of undergrad (major biosci and minor linguistics- heh). My OMSAS GPA was ~3.78 (?) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (12)

Verbal: (11)

Biological Sciences: (13)

Written Sample: ®

I applied to U of T, McMasters, Queens, U of A, U of C, UBC

Accepted for Interview: Queens, U of A, U of C

Offers of Admission: Queens, U of A, U of C

I don't know where I should go, there are plus points for all of them. Suggestions?

and for those still who are planning to apply or waitlisted, here's a little Tennyson for you:

Though much is taken, much abides; and though

We are not now that strength which in old days

Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;

One equal temper of heroic hearts,

Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Accepted!

OMSAS GPA: ~3.75

MCAT: 14P/10V/12B/S

ECs: international volunteer trip, lots of clubs/exec, volunteering, sports, religious activities, research job, teaching job

Interview: short but good, cracked a couple jokes, answered well about questions off my ABS

will be declining queens in the coming day(s) for Alberta...

gl to everyone on the waitlist!

Thought I should add in my stats for future applicants...

I was: Accepted!

OMSAS GPA: ~3.79

MCAT: 13P/12V/13B/S

ECs: various jobs, sexual health clinic volunteer for 3 years, one summer medical research, one academic year psychology research assistant, various clubs and awards

Interview: It seemed very short. Bombed the first question due to nerves (i probably only said 2-3 sentences). I think I did much better on the next questions, gave direct and succint answers to "what would you do..." ethics questions. Did the best I could to bring up some of my ECs where they were relevant. Asked some questions about the school atmosphere and curriculum at the end.

I did my undergrad at Queen's, so I'm going to be broadening my horizons a little and attending Western instead. Good luck to all those on the waitlist!

Out of Province

OMSAS gpa 3.85

MCAT 10/10/10 S

Accepted: Queen's, Dalhousie, Toronto

Waitlist: Memorial

I have just confirmed that I will be accepted Queen's offer. Yay! I'm glad the decision is finally made and now I can look forward to the fall!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

4th year applicant

GPA: 3.95 (3.98 best two years)

MCAT: 30S

Applied: UWO, Toronto, Queens, Mac, NOSM, Ottawa

Interviewed: All schools

Offers: UWO, Toronto, Ottawa

Waitlist: Mac, Queens, NOSM

I just accepted UWO - hopefully my spot on Queen's waitlist will allow someone else to move ahead now. Best of luck everyone!

Applied: UofT (MD, MD/PhD), UWO (MD, MD/PhD), Queen's (MD), McMaster (MD, MD/PhD), Dalhousie (MD), Calgary (MD)

Interviewed: UofT MD/PhD, UofT MD, UWO MD/PhD, UWO MD, Queen's MD

Waitlisted: UofT MD, Queen's MD

Rejected: UofT MD/PhD, UWO MD/PhD

Offered: UWO

Accepted: UWO

MCAT: 12 P / 11 B / 11 V / T WS

cGPA: 3.39

wGPA (UofT): ~3.6

2yGPA (UWO/Queen's/Dal): 3.94

ECs: no hospital volunteering, but student gov't, published 3 papers one first author (tons of research)

off this WL, so GL to all on the WL!

overall GPA: 3.88

best 2 years: 3.94

MCAT: 11 on every section, T on essay.

interviewed: Queens, UWO,

Waitlisted: Queens, UWO.

I have just received an offer from Queens and have accepted! Will be removing from the UWO wait list. :)

Sorry for the late post, I have been traveling for 2 months now.

Here are the results:

Accepted: U of T, UBC, U of A, U of C.

Waitlisted: Queens.

Was REALLY hard to choose between UBC and U of T, but in the end I chose U of T because they gave me more information about their program and they have so many affiliated hospitals right on site.

Hope this shortens the Queens waitlist for someone!

Stats: I first author pub in high impact journal, 3.85 U of C GPA, 3.80 OMSAS GPA, 33R MCAT, 2 years working as an MOA in medical clinic, 2 summers research, lots of life experience.

Yay!!

Accepted today off the waitlist.

OMSAS GPA: 3.6 (Yep, I blame my Waterloo undergrad, which I loved though, haha), last two years: 3.85

Im also in grad school, so I think that might've helped.

MCAT: 11P, 11V, 12B, S

Applied: Western, Toronto, McMaster, Queens, Ottawa

Interviewed: Western, Queens

Accepted off waitlist: Western, Queen's

Interview: I was pretty nervous and therefore I think I was a bit goofy, but I actually had a really good chat with my interviewers at the end and felt the whole experience was pretty good!

Almost definitely taking Western, mainly for family/friends reasons, as they are both amazing schools so hope this helps someone out!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!! :D

• 7 months later...
What were your EC's like?

I have just under a year of research experience working on an undergraduate thesis, I've volunteered in a cancer center, a soup kitchen, a senior's day program, with various community-based programs, organized fundraisers for olympic athletes, and was on an intramural basketball team for 3 years during my undergrad. This past summer I volunteered for a few weeks in Costa Rica in a live-in facility for individuals with HIV/AIDS.

Overall I'd say that my EC's have been diverse, but as a tradeoff only a few of the activities have been for a long duration. Perhaps that was something that worked against me...

• 3 months later...