Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite Stats

I just got my email today (for Feb. 25th), which I found shocking because I wasn't expecting any interviews. I already have rejections from Queens and UWO. Anyways stats-wise I don't think I'm too strong, aside from research which was my strongpoint:

cGPA ~ 3.48

wGPA ~ 3.65

MCAT P:11 V:11 B:10 WS:O

Undergrad: B.Eng

Grad: M.Sc @ UWO - Defend this spring.

2 Papers, lots of abstracts, conferences etc...

Average EC's

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got my email today (for Feb. 25th), which I found shocking because I wasn't expecting any interviews. I already have rejections from Queens and UWO. Anyways stats-wise I don't think I'm too strong, aside from research which was my strongpoint:

cGPA ~ 3.48

wGPA ~ 3.65

Average EC's

CONGRATULATIONS:)

For people who have had interviews in the past, is UT flexible with interview dates? I haven't received an invite email yet, but I got an invite to McMaster and will be in Ontario in the same week as the UT March 23rd interview day. Just want to know since I really don't want to spend another $600 for a flight from Vancouver to Ontario.

you should contact the office and let them know - perhaps they can move your file upward for review for the interviews of that week

cGPA ~ 3.48

wGPA ~ 3.65

Average EC's

Congrats!! Good luck!

I got my invite today:

Surprised because I don't really have amazing stats...does anyone else have interviews this week??

OMSAS wGPA: 3.87

UBC 07 Micb & Immunology (I'm from Vancouver)

March 31st interview

10,11,12Q MCAT score

One NSERC position, fair amount of EC's & volunteering

I got my invite today:

Surprised because I don't really have amazing stats...does anyone else have interviews this week??

OMSAS wGPA: 3.87

UBC 07 Micb & Immunology (I'm from Vancouver)

March 31st interview

10,11,12Q MCAT score

One NSERC position, fair amount of EC's & volunteering

Oooh...a Vancouver person...so they have started on the BC people. Did you get your invite via email or mail?

I got my interview email this morning around 10 AM. It was for the 24th of February but I have a conflicting interview so they changed it for me to the March 4th date. Supposedly they are still getting interviews out for the 24th and 25th - it's not people who are replacing those who didn't want their interviews those days. They specifically asked me where I was coming from, if you're near Toronto then they figure they can give you a week and a half's notice.

As for stats, 4th year student, U of T cGPA 3.98, MCAT was 28Q, lots of ECs and some research, NSERC, student government, lots of volunteering in Canada and Asia and Africa, etc..

If your from out of province, they tend to give the student a later interview date so that they can make travel arrangements (this is not always the case though). But if your from GTA, notices can come as little as a week away from an interview date!

man, i think someone mentioned that average GPA for admitted undergrads was 3.88 in 2002? so since it will only continue to rise, it must be around 3.95 or something average for undergrads now? anyone have the undergrads stats?

nope, still around 3.88, I think...

Maybe people who posts here have a disproportionately high gpa? Mine is 3.81 after the weighting formula and I am feeling very inadequate right now :)

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/Admissions-Statistics.html

3.87 for the past two years. Will probably hover around there this year as well. Note, this is an average. So for everyone above this, there was someone below (please don't disprove me with fancy stats).

lol, not to put a crimp in your style but you technically would have to look at the distribution. you could have a bunch of people above the average but close ie. 3.90-3.91 while having a few people throwing off the average with a couple low scores say around 3.7. This could also very well be the case as those who are reapplying with masters and phd's are looked at more favorably and usually have slightly lower gpa's. I would guess thta this is actually the case and that the real average for 4th years is around 3.91 (just a guess people)

This can easily be shown with age distributions since the majority of a entering class is 21-22 (4 years undergrad plus highschool) while there will be a certain smaller percentage of older people (25-35). Thus even tho the median might be 21-22, the actual average is pushed up to around 24.

a question for people with invites, and current UT med students:

did any of you have declining gpa trends over the years? As in, 4.0, 3.9, 3.5. I understand that most people with invites have gpas over 3.8, but did anyone suffer from one bad year and still get an invite?

did any of you have declining gpa trends over the years? As in, 4.0, 3.9, 3.5. I understand that most people with invites have gpas over 3.8, but did anyone suffer from one bad year and still get an invite?

i had the opposite trend .. worst in 1st year, then progressivly better. my first year was pretty shoddy

hi everyone! I just stumbled upon this awesome forum..

I'm from BC and a couple of my friends have already gotten interviews (just the past one or two days) from UT but I haven't -_-'

does anyone know from experience if the 'piles' that u speak of may be arranged geographically?

I'm in my last year of undergrad. my gpa is >3.9, MCAT wasn't really decent (33P), lots of ECs (sports, music), one publication, still doing active research...

the wait is horrendous!

I did awesome first year but THIS year is majorly sucking........if I apply next year, (when I'll be in my 3rd year) will they drop my lowest 2 marks in any of my 2 undergrad years (and can it be 2 from this year)? because if they drop calc/my 2nd lowest mark from this year my average will be very competitive.!

Hi I thought I would let you know that the formula only applies when you are trying to get in during your last year. Check out University of Toront's website. They describe how the GPA cut offs works.

So keep taking a full course load and if you need to apply again during your 4th year then you will get to drop your three lowest marks regardless of what year they were received in.

Goodluck

that trend describes me EXACTLY :D

But if you average out those three years and drop three courses from that 3.5 year, you would still end up with a pretty good gpa. Hopefully I will get in this year, I can't imagine how low my cgpa will be when I graduate (still ok, but low for med school standards).

I always wonder how so many people do well on Ottawa's formula when the last year is weighted most heavily. In classes with 20 people and only 2 people in the 80s, how the heck do you maintain a 3.8+ gpa?

Archived