Premed 101 Forums

MMI Practice Sessions?

TBJ1

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, it was NurseNathalie and I that set up the sessions last year, but we won't be able to do it this year as we're in the middle of clerkship and don't really have the extra time.....but seriously don't worry, if you look over the examples in the articles that were posted and just get together to discuss different ethical scenarios, that's basically all we did, there wasn't anything special we added to the discussion. Any questions about the program or logistics about the interview we'd be happy to reply to here!

Sorry we can't be of more help this year!

Hey guys, it was NurseNathalie and I that set up the sessions last year, but we won't be able to do it this year as we're in the middle of clerkship and don't really have the extra time.....but seriously don't worry, if you look over the examples in the articles that were posted and just get together to discuss different ethical scenarios, that's basically all we did, there wasn't anything special we added to the discussion. Any questions about the program or logistics about the interview we'd be happy to reply to here!

Sorry we can't be of more help this year!

Anything other than ethical scenarios? Those I think we can debate about on the board (see med school interview threads). What about communication 'scenarios' or the other ones? How do we go about practising those?

talk to everyone you know.. talk about what's in the news.. get into debates and discussions over certain topics... and then ask them for some feedback

:cool:

it really doesn't matter what the topic is.. just that you get to practice giving your opinion and know how you come across.. do you say what you mean to say? do you have strong arguments? what do they think you should work on..

thats all you need to do really

It sounds really weird, but talk to strangers. Start chatting to people on the bus, in line at the store or walking home. People might think you're odd, but it'll help getting over the fear of talking to people you don't know well....it doesn't need to be an important conversation or anything about medicine the practice just helps.

It also helps to read up on health care in the news and think about your opinions on the topics...it's just nice to think about these things before being put on the spot!

I think that's great advice.. as it has been said, practicing for the interview should help you become comfortable with interviewing and getting your ideas across. The scenario could be anything! When I was practicing we made up some scenarios and practiced in groups of two rotating around. We provided each other with useful feedback. It was a great experience to calm nerves and prepare. We also discussed some ethical situations.

I would also become familiar with medicine before you have your interview and make sure that medicine is what you really want!

I know that many people apply on a whim... some don't take it seriously. Consider the time involved with becoming a medical student and a future physician. It involves a minimum of 5 years of dedication with long, arduous hours at times.

That being said, it's a wonderful honour to become a physician.

I just hope that everyone takes it seriously.

GM

Hi everyone,

I'm form downtown Toronto and would love to participate in the MMI practice sessions. Early and mid March is fine with me. It would be great if each of us could generate 4-5 questions (related to ethics, recently implemented health care policies, health care issues, and standard questions) and base some part of practice session upon them.

Thanks in advance.

Kitty

Hi,

Im from TO and free from now until early March ...seems like alot of you guys are too

I've heard from past students that this sorta thing really helps getting used to Mac's interview style...especially for the nervous types like myself.

So what do you guys think of Thurs, Mar 1 at 4 pm...at Gerstein Library

1. Enter Gerstein's main entrance, up the steps, through the turn-stiles.

2. Make a right on the near side of the information desk to walk past the computers (will be on ur right).

3. Keep walking straight and you will into a big room with some desks and books

4. Ahead of you, slightly to the left, u'll see stairs. Go down those to the basement and there are group study rooms there.

PS Some time this week is good too

Archived