Premed 101 Forums

Anti-Christian Bias in Medical School

I couldn't disagree with the previous poster more. Canada is a great nation because of the rise of secularism and the acceptance of other people's beliefs. Canada is among the world leaders in promoting humanitarian issues and I firmly believe that this stems from how we treat minorities and how we let others hold their own beliefs. Why is it bad to be a white Christian male? Are you blaming these attributes on the fact that you haven't been successful in applying to medical school?

Why should your Christian beliefs take precedence over those other people in this country hold? Have a look at nations where religion mixes heavily with politics and then tell me that you wouldn't rather be in Canada.

In Christ, there is no male or female, Jew or Greek, etc, etc.

I am not european, and I used to be a muslim.

Truth is not a matter of opinion. You deserve to know, so try it for yourself, just say a prayer like "God, I don't know which way is right, and there seem to be contradictions between religions, show me the truth."

That's what I did.

Any first grade student could tell you that God cannot simultaneously both have a Son, and not have a Son. So one of these MUST BE FALSE.

At EVERY medical interview, you get the standard abortion question and you KNOW if you say that you won't perform abortion due to being Christian you will be rejected.
I have been present at nine medical interviews; four where I was being interviewed, and five where I was interviewing someone else. I have never heard this question asked. It is patently false to claim that abortion is asked about at every interview.

Quote:

"Any first grade student could tell you that God cannot simultaneously both have a Son, and not have a Son. So one of these MUST BE FALSE."

Unless you believe that there is not now, nor ever was and/or will be, a God, in which case BOTH are void. I find it funny when people are so dogmatic to a bunch of science geeks. Anyway, that's another potential interpretation of what a first grader might think....

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." - Richard Dawkins

I have been present at nine medical interviews; four where I was being interviewed, and five where I was interviewing someone else. I have never heard this question asked. It is patently false to claim that abortion is asked about at every interview.

I agree with peachy on this one. I've been to 7 med interviews - at none of them was I ever asked anything about abortion in any shape or form.

I agree with peachy on this one. I've been to 7 med interviews - at none of them was I ever asked anything about abortion in any shape or form.

i would guess that the abortion question would come up if you mention to them that you are religious...

i would guess that the abortion question would come up if you mention to them that you are religious...

Would the admission committee really care about what candidates' views are in regards to abortion? Does being religious automatically mean a candidate is against abortion?

I think the issue of abortion is a matter of choice and whether candidates will make excellent physicians are not impacted by their opinion on abortion, provided that they are not making abortion-related decisions or advices.

I guess there will be rare cases where it is necessary to abort the baby to save the mom's life. As previously mentioned, a physician cannot refuse to perform a life-saving procedure, so will a physician's view on abortion in this circumstance hinder his/her ability to save lives and therefore be a concern for the admission committee?

I agree with peachy. I've had a total of 9 interviews (12 if you consider that all US schools have 2 interviews per school) and never has abortion come up.

i guess you are entitled to your opinion about jesus being the only way out. I am also a student of religion. i would say that every relgion has some good things and some very contradictory things imbedded in it. Therefore, i do not ascribe to one particular philosophy. However, i do believe we were all created by the same being. He will save us based on our merits, not based on whether we wanna hang with JC.

Anyways back to medical school discussions.

Dude no offense or anything. From you posts it seems like you are full of pride.

Agnostic does not equal to pride. Atheism does not equal to pride. [always]. Some of the most prideful people I know are those that are religious.

See there are two types of Christians I have met in my life. The ones that preach and the ones that believe. The ones that believe focus only on God. The others spend much of there time full of pride trying to prove why JC is the way out, or why other people are doing things wrong (ie making money).

Its okay to believe dude but don't judge. Cause that works both ways as you can see from this post. I am sure that your lord would not want you to be judgemental...or is JC okay with that?

If there are only non-preaching true believers, then what do you make of Jesus Christ, who preached to tens may be hundreds of thousands, and said definitively, that he is the way to heaven? Or what about the apostles, who gave their lives because of their preaching? Were Jesus and the apostles not 'true believers'?

If there are only non-preaching true believers, then what do you make of Jesus Christ, who preached to tens may be hundreds of thousands, and said definitively, that he is the way to heaven? Or what about the apostles, who gave their lives because of their preaching? Were Jesus and the apostles not 'true believers'?
I think that this thread is clearly no longer on a topic that is relevant to medical school, so that's enough of that. :)

Archived