Premed 101 Forums

Any news yet waitlisters

Hey there, just wondering if any one has heard any news about the waitlist? I understood that as people sent in their declines to an offer that those seats would then immediately be offered to people off the waitlist. Are they waiting until after june 1st? Please post if you know anything, thanks.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no news here yet either....however, I did call admissions today and the lady on the phone said not to expect anything until after the deadline (May 31st). So, I imagine we won't hear anything until Friday? Who knows though?! I keep checking....b/c it has become an obsessive/compulsive sort of thing for me....and I'm sure for many of the others in the same predicament.:rolleyes:

yep i checked at least ten times today....

Wow supa76, how do you have the time or the energy to check that often :eek::P

I think I'm coming to terms with accepting whatever happens but really hoping for the best. How's everyone else feeling?

I'm harbouring this elusive fantasy that the in-province candidates that are declining their offers don't check this site...or they are very shy, non-posting types....:o

I'm too lazy to do this but to check your theory you could compare the number of IP applicants who declined last year based on the stats from the UBC med website to the number of IP who declined and posted on this site last year around this time. I'm guessing that a lot of people don't post on this site. I could be wrong though, but hopefully not. :P

i heard last year that the waitlist started to move early in the week following the deadline for those accepted; i.e. if this year is similar, we should expect movement around Tues/Wed of next week (the week of June 4th)

best of luck to all

Well I just got into Calgary of the OOP waitlist. I haven't maid up my mind where I want to go. I could afford to live in Prince George. Maybe if somebody on the UBC IP waitlist wants to help me make the desicion with a large cash incentive to pay the rent :D How bout it wanttobedoc? ;)

I'm about 99% certain I'll accept the calgary offer. Damn, and I just mailed my UBC deposit by courier yesterday.

Well I just got into Calgary of the OOP waitlist. I haven't maid up my mind where I want to go. I could afford to live in Prince George. Maybe if somebody on the UBC IP waitlist wants to help me make the desicion with a large cash incentive to pay the rent :D How bout it wanttobedoc? ;)

I'm about 99% certain I'll accept the calgary offer. Damn, and I just mailed my UBC deposit by courier yesterday.

Calgary has a good program. 3 years of intense training. I would've loved to do that. Not to mention Foothill is a good hospital. Congrats!

________

Bmw Hydrogen 7

hey dr crave.

good for you man. one of my good buddies got into calgary and ubc a couple years and back and was torn. so he asked our other buddy that was at ubc at the time in second year - his advice "go to calgary dude". anyway my buddy did go to calgary and he loved it...

another buddy of mine last year got into both so I got him into contact with my friend at calgary and he said "come to calgary dude". he did as well. he called me around christmas and thanked me as he was very happy where he was.

I will be attending ubc in the fall. I am thrilled. I was not competative at calgary bc of my verbal score... if I had acceptance to both, it would be hard as I absolutely love vancouver. either way I like a little fat kid in a candy store

anyway - hope that helps...

if you shoose vancouver - I will see you in the fall...

ps. know the clarkes form port hardy - 3 girls in there 20's and 30's, and one brother - my roommate. small town, you never know

dr.cave....if you had the ability to literally give me your spot in PG...I'd take it....in return for...all the money I could afford to give you and you could take my spot at the dinner table with my family in Calgary. Their sense of humour is a little quirky...but, I'm sure you'd enjoy them. A big congrats to you!!!

I know I am biased (b/c I want your UBC spot) :P ...but, if I were you, I'd pick Calgary mainly b/c of the shorter program...and my friend who is there in her clerkship loves it.

hey dr crave.

good for you man. one of my good buddies got into calgary and ubc a couple years and back and was torn. so he asked our other buddy that was at ubc at the time in second year - his advice "go to calgary dude". anyway my buddy did go to calgary and he loved it...

another buddy of mine last year got into both so I got him into contact with my friend at calgary and he said "come to calgary dude". he did as well. he called me around christmas and thanked me as he was very happy where he was.

I will be attending ubc in the fall. I am thrilled. I was not competative at calgary bc of my verbal score... if I had acceptance to both, it would be hard as I absolutely love vancouver. either way I like a little fat kid in a candy store

Why did your UBC friend say to go to Calgary? I have to decide between the two now and now I'm unsure which I would want to do.

Why did your UBC friend say to go to Calgary? I have to decide between the two now and now I'm unsure which I would want to do.

What really appealed to me at UofC is its small class size and shorter program. On the other hand, I'm interested in UBC because of its physical location. Really depends on what's more important to you. To be able to study medicine at a place where you'll live comfortably (but expensive!), or to study at a school knowing that you'll start your MD career one year ahead of others (and possibly with better education due to the smaller student:faculty ratio - just my guess). Oh...and I guess less debt since you get out of school earlier?

Good luck in making your decision! :)

________

Herbal grinder

Well I told UBC to shove it today. They wouldn't give me back my deposit even though they hadn't received it yet. Compared to how nice the Admin people have been at Calgary it makes me know I made the right choice. I think nasty office staff is a symptom of UBC's growing pains. Good luck to all of you and especially to whomever gets my spot. I kind of feel like I've just donated an organ - I'm giving someone a new life. What goes around comes around I got in off the UofC waitlist so its nice that I can give someone else that wave of relief and euphoria.

Well I told UBC to shove it today. They wouldn't give me back my deposit even though they hadn't received it yet. Compared to how nice the Admin people have been at Calgary it make me know I made the right joice. I think nasty office staff is a symptom of UBC's growing pains. Good luck to all of you and whoever especially to whomever gets my spot. I kind of feel like I've just donated an organ - I'm giving someone a new life. What goes around comes around I got in off the UofC waitlist so its nice that I can give someone else that wave of relief and euphoria.

I'm sure your organ will be well appreciated. Congrats on your decision to go to UC though. I think it's the right move. (It's definitely what I would've picked if I had choices like you) :)

Well I told UBC to shove it today. They wouldn't give me back my deposit even though they hadn't received it yet. Compared to how nice the Admin people have been at Calgary it make me know I made the right joice. I think nasty office staff is a symptom of UBC's growing pains. Good luck to all of you and whoever especially to whomever gets my spot. I kind of feel like I've just donated an organ - I'm giving someone a new life. What goes around comes around I got in off the UofC waitlist so its nice that I can give someone else that wave of relief and euphoria.

If you sent a cheque, can you put a stop payment on it?

So, if we don't hear anything next week, do you think that means we have very little chance after that? When I talked to admissions, they told me that the waitlist starts to move as soon as people decline their offers. But then on another post, someone was told that they put out a second round of offers all at once. I'm trying not to let the anxiety get to me. At least I'm travelling around Germany and that's distracting me... somewhat. I don' know what I would do if I was at home. Look at this Öäößßäöüü...

PS. Congradulations drcave. Hope you enjoy Calgary. You're giving the rest of us some hope.

Archived