Premed 101 Forums

Any news yet waitlisters

I've retracted my earlier post and replaced it with something more motivational. The reasons I decided to do this are because I think it is an inappropriate place to make the comments, since this was a thread on waitlist-watching, and a considerable amount of it was redundant. I still support Nomis's opinion, but redundancy isn't necessary. I repeat, redundancy isn't necessary. Hopefully not too many people read it and were further offended. If people think it needs to be reposted for sake of the discussion, that's fine, but it shouldn't be in this area.

I also don't think Nomis is obligated to defend my comments, but me retracting my comments is my decision only.

As for criticisms of the post, I appreciate the comments and people are welcome to comment further.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meds - are you a med student? If you are, you will know how it is to be humbled both by the incredible amount of knowledge that will pass by and also the clinical instructors/preceptors constantly correcting you/giving you advice. Nomis is a classmate of mine and not only is he passionate at being a med student, he is passionate at being someone who cares about premeds - which is rare. Just because Nomis gave out some blunt yet TRUE advice to you premeds doesn't mean you all have to cry fowl. Bottom line - if you can't take harshly worded advice, your skin may be too thin for med school/residency/beyond. In fact, it may be too thin to deal with any job where you're constantly working with people.

Analyze this and counter-argue all you want because I don't care. I have some medical research to do. And then I'm going to play hockey. Maybe Nomis will be around and reply.

listening to all the "tension" in these posts reminds me when I was in professional school. I remember fellow students thinking that life was very hard (and it was) and then one tends to re evaluate whether one can handle such a large work load. Medical school is hard, i know many students and MD's and I have graduated in a health care profession my self. What struck me the most when I was in school was that in my first year I thought I could predict who would do well and who would flunk out, and who would be a good health care professional and who would not. Boy by the end was I sure wrong. I think you all should keep this in mind. It is very hard to say who can and who can not hack med school. We all go through periods of wondering whether its all worth while (studying for MCAT when you don't get in), or sacrificing family life during med school). When I first read D rocks post, it did sound sort of angry but then maybe he/she ?? had a difficult day and was put off by someone complaining that they had to study for the MCAT and they didnt get in. Nobody should get their feelings hurt here. At the end of the day all who post here are here for support and to support each other, why else would we bother. Advice is given with the best of interests even though it may not seem so at the time. Just remember, nothing is cut and dry black and white, we all cope differently and we all have our strengths and weaknesses. BTW D rock, i found you last post very motivational, thanks.

DrNomis I appreciate your response. You bring up some good points and some which I may disagree with. None the less, we each are entitled to our opinions. In fact, this discussion could be carried on further however I see no point as it would not be beneficial for anyone. At the same time, I have read some of you previous posts and I recognize that your intentions are noble which is why I understand why you would take my comments so personally. I am sure you are a nice guy and I hope you are no longer offended.

D-rock, I will just say it is clear that I do not know you and therefore I am not justified in judging your character as I did. I also think your updated post is very tactful. Best of luck in your career.

Meds

Updating on my rejection notice.

AQ: 22.80

Overall GPA: 82.00

Final 60 Credits: 84.40

NAQ: 16.11 (Scaled)

Leadership: 2.5/3.5

Service: 3.428/6

Working with others: 3.428/6

Diversity: 3.428/6

High Performance: 1.5/3.5

Interview

Consensus: 80.75

Recommendation: 8

Here is my beef with them. They wrote: "Potentially a good doctor but there are some personal problems to be resolved". I know that I had a lot of crap to deal with in my life, most if not all being beyond my control. So what. You get dealt what you are dealt. I can't just ask God to go easy on me or something. Why are the Adcom prying into my personal life (not illegal btw in case you are being suspicious) and being judgmental on issues that have nothing to do with becoming a good doctor? Sometimes I really do feel that UBC is very archaic and out of touch with this world.

In the old 3-interviewer panel system (they're changing it to MMI next year), there were 4 or 5 sections to the interview. For each section, the interviewers scored you out of 5. They then totalled your score and converted to a percetage to provide the consensus score.

I believe this was also statistically adjusted to promote consistency in scoring among different panels; for example, if one panel was a "hard" panel and gave all of their applicants low scores, their scores would be brought up.

The interview plays a huge role in the application (I have heard it's worth 50%). However, remember the file is reviewed as a whole, so you can have a perfect consensus score and still not get in if the file reviewer and adcom are concerned about other aspects of your education.

If you go to a file review session most of the UBC Med admissions staff will be able to tell you what the average consensus score of accepted students was.

We found out about our rejection first by email telling us to go check our file. There it says, "regrets, after waitlist".

Here's (one of) my problem(s) with UBC: they have this air about them as if you should be so lucky as to go to their school. First off, most schools give you a personalized email telling you the result, not recommending you go somewhere to see it. Also, they've done away with giving you a paper copy of your admission letter. Save the trees all you want with your routine office paper, but it's a special letter for people to get so they should at least send an official document. It may seem like a pretty minor gesture, but those sorts of things go pretty far in making it look like a well-run system.

You know, UBC does send a letter after you've been rejected. And I prefer this online status thing than waiting for a letter in the mail (which often times can get lost, which I've had the experience of having). I personally think that UBC's admission process is one of the better ones. I would have to complain though that they don't really hold any tours or such for people during their interview day, but the fact that I can know the second that they accept or reject me is a huge relief!

You know, UBC does send a letter after you've been rejected. And I prefer this online status thing than waiting for a letter in the mail (which often times can get lost, which I've had the experience of having). I personally think that UBC's admission process is one of the better ones. I would have to complain though that they don't really hold any tours or such for people during their interview day, but the fact that I can know the second that they accept or reject me is a huge relief!

I agree. I was quite impressed with UBCs online application system. The only thing that required some form of paper was my proof of citizenship and I needed to get my transcript mailed. Other than that, I liked it. Like apples mentioned, I felt that UBC didn't really sell the school during the interview weekend. I got the feeling that they sort of expected everyone to want to come to UBC because it is UBC. Mind you, if I had been accepted everywhere I applied, I still more-than-likely would have selected UBC. After I saw the LSC though, I was really impressed. That building really sold itself.

For all those who didn't hear good news this year, hang in there, it's all a matter of time. I know I may not be the most qualified person to say this, but I have had my share of disappointments and I think just learning from them is the best way to really prepare for the next round.

Dammit, I hate to be the cynical guy here. I never used to be. Not sure what happened. But, you said this, and I had to reply:

After I saw the LSC though, I was really impressed. That building really sold itself.

It's funny - that was my exact impression. It looks amazing! But once you get to spend some time in there, you realize they cut corners here and there on construction costs... and like many LSC occupants, I can now list so many things wrong with it.

I would have to complain though that they don't really hold any tours or such for people during their interview day

Okay, I can't let that go by. There are tours of the campus, of buildings, and other important things on interview weekend. They're led by first-year students and are recommended in the interview information webpage, along with the wine & cheese.

Regardless, on the whole I think UBC is a good school to go to and like it here. It's easy for us to complain about the little things, but on the grand scale they're not really that important.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just came back from a feedback session, and what can I say.... it was quite an experience. I felt that the adviser was rude from the beginning, but she ended up kicking me out after 2 minutes. Granted, I wasn't very happy that I was talking with a nobody (she was just an NAQ grader), but I really wanted to get some hard answers considering this time being fourth year of hogwash generic answers. There was a lot of people in my community who wanted/needed me to become a doctor, and I felt accountable to tell them why I didn't get in again and why I would be leaving that community. Instead, I got someone who knew nothing about my file, and had no influence on the decision itself. Is it too much to ask for someone who is familiar with my file and can tell me specific reasons why aside from the "there are 250 spaces and 2000 applicants. Not everyone will get in" answer? Then the surprise, "I'm going to end this session" then gets up and walks away. Looked at my watch, 2 mins. wow.

Anyways, I find myself being more and more disenchanted with UBC med. Others have pointed out that you can tell a lot about the medical school by the way the admissions office is ran, but I never expected this type of "stalinistic" approach. Thinking back now, I think that the only reason I was interested in UBC was just the location itself, being in my hometown Vancouver. I hope you guys entering this school project a better image, because as of right now, I don't want any affiliation now or anytime in my future studies.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found these feedback sessions helpful? The only thing this has helped me with was re-acquaint myself with some infrequently used emotions. In this case, anger and spite.

Well, I just came back from a feedback session, and what can I say.... it was quite an experience. I felt that the adviser was rude from the beginning, but she ended up kicking me out after 2 minutes. Granted, I wasn't very happy that I was talking with a nobody (she was just an NAQ grader), but I really wanted to get some hard answers considering this time being fourth year of hogwash generic answers. There was a lot of people in my community who wanted/needed me to become a doctor, and I felt accountable to tell them why I didn't get in again and why I would be leaving that community. Instead, I got someone who knew nothing about my file, and had no influence on the decision itself. Is it too much to ask for someone who is familiar with my file and can tell me specific reasons why aside from the "there are 250 spaces and 2000 applicants. Not everyone will get in" answer? Then the surprise, "I'm going to end this session" then gets up and walks away. Looked at my watch, 2 mins. wow.

Anyways, I find myself being more and more disenchanted with UBC med. Others have pointed out that you can tell a lot about the medical school by the way the admissions office is ran, but I never expected this type of "stalinistic" approach. Thinking back now, I think that the only reason I was interested in UBC was just the location itself, being in my hometown Vancouver. I hope you guys entering this school project a better image, because as of right now, I don't want any affiliation now or anytime in my future studies.

Out of curiosity, has anyone found these feedback sessions helpful? The only thing this has helped me with was re-acquaint myself with some infrequently used emotions. In this case, anger and spite.

Don't let them get to you. Apply to other schools that are probably more suitable for you. And I never found the feedback sessions helpful. I actually think it's a bit pointless and ubc is only doing it to placate unsuccessful applicants because the adcom cant really justify their reasons for rejecting those students with their subjective, ambiguous criteria (so they gota shut you up first before you raise more questions that might make them look bad!)

Having said all that, i agree that ubc is most attractive in its nice location... no other school can beat that!

dont let them get to you. apply again and keep trying harder! good luck to you and to everyone else who didn't get in.

________

Chevrolet advance design specifications

Archived