Premed 101 Forums

JOB! My experience is in the medical field(specialized) Do I need any career change!

I worked as an eye bank technician for the last 17 years. This is a very specialized field of retrieving corneas from donors and processing the tissue in the lab.I am a certified tech. but am not a nurse. I have made a move and am trying to get something related to my field, or would even consider a career change. I am either overqualified for many jobs or under qualified for others. I also worked as a educational coordinator for the eye bank and thought maybe those skills I could use in another field even if it wasn't the medical field. I had thought about going back to school to get some education but that is not possible right now and besides at my age of 60 I do not want to pile up student loans it is not worth it. I was just wondering if anyone out there would have any ideas or suggestions that I had not thought of. I would appreciate any help I could get. I have posted my resume on Monster.com as well as other locations with no luck.

I don't know your location, but have you considered either solid organ retrieval coordination or implant coordination? Both positions are clinical, but also are involved in education. Here in BC, you'd look up the BC Transplant Society. They collaborate with the Eye Bank,but they are separate entities. I'd think you'd have almost all the necessary skills, save maybe for the OR and keeping the organs well-perfused pre-procurement.

If it's only about money, I would suggest doing real estate. You can get licensed in a year and sell homes part time on the side. Medicine takes far too long to do and needs waay too much effort to get into if money's the only motivation.

If it's only about money, I would suggest doing real estate. You can get licensed in a year and sell homes part time on the side. Medicine takes far too long to do and needs waay too much effort to get into if money's the only motivation.

This is exactly true. The real money is in REAL estate.

I'm hoping to some day (soon) just go out around the city, buy land, and in a decade or two, throw up a mall on it once the population creeps up around it, then just dedicate to that.

Being a real estate agent can be stressfull though.

Are you serious Bane?

Is there really that much money in real estate?

They get what, 5% on each deal? And if the same agent represents both buyer and seller I think they get you both ways.

Why am I studying medicine again???

pb

On top of that, your knowledge of real estate that you gain by working as an agent/broker means that it'll help you make top decisions in your own real estate investments. If you played your cards right, you can leverage your available cash to make investments that can easily make you a millionaire within a decade--even with market downturns, which happen every 10-12 years in the real estate market.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived