Premed 101 Forums

Is there any chance for an IMG?

• 1 month later...

I think the best thing to do would be to contact a few admissions offices, explain your situation and ask for their advice.

I am assuming that you've unsuccessfully attempted to become licensed in Canada with your previous degree. I think that biggest question that would be asked is if you have already exhausted that option, since it doesn't seem to make sense to become retrained.

Those are just my 2 cents.

• 3 months later...
Hi everyone,

thanks in advance to all who find time to reply.

I am a foreign medical graduate (general surgery internship), immigrated to Canada in 2000. I decicded to apply to a medschool again, so, I took all the prereq courses again, and now I am working on MCAT

I am going to apply to McGill, MacMaster, Ottawa and Queen's for 2008 entry.

:rolleyes:

It seems that my extracurriculars look very weak - only present hospital volunteering. On the other hand, I have many things done, but back to my country. Since no refferences in English are possible, means nothing to talk about?

Also, should I mention that I am married and have a child, which means to have a fool-time mom job? Or it would be better not to mention it at all?

Moreover, there is a doubt whether to talk about my pure immigrational experience as my working experience: I've spent a few years (in total) as a general worker on the sewing manufactures trying to survive, learning languages and saving money to pay for prereqs?.. Looks pretty bad, I know.

I also wonder, is there any IMGs who are applying to the undergrad medschools this year and having similar questions? Or an IMG who had an expirience with the application processes last year... What special about IMGs anyway?

I want to use an on-line premed adviser, but I am afraid to spend a lot of money for nothing. Does anyone know any trustfull link or any real company, and in general, is it worth it?

My university operates on numerals/pass/fail grade system. Therefore, almost 50% of my trascript does not count towards my GPA. According to WES, my GPA is only 3.42, but for some reason couple of the longest and most difficult courses were given only 1cr along with the others that were shorter and easier and received 2-3credits from them. Bizarre.

My prereqs are ~3.8. Hope, to get at least 30 on MCAT this September.

Some suggestions? Anyone? PLEASE HELP!

Please, please, please, help is urgently needed!

Thanks.

Hi Sergie,

You are indeed setting on a very difficult path but it isn't one that is impossible. I do not know which university you attended, but a smart way to start would be to research the admissions requirements of each medical school you are interested in applying. You will quickly find they vary a lot (i.e. UofO/Mac have no MCAT requirement, other schools use cutoffs, others use red flags).

Note that many schools will require 2-3 letters of reference NOT from a family member or friend. If they are in foreign languages, then it would be a good idea to contact OMSAS or the individual schools regarding the possibility of translation.

I would avoid paying any money for an "online pre-med" advisor. All the information you need is available online, through this web forum as well as through the larger US counterpart (http://www.studentdoctor.net).

As to your planned applicaitons (McGill, MacMaster, Ottawa and Queen's) for 2008 - I'm just going to give you a warning that McGill will treat out of province applicants VERY competitively as there are very few spots. Mac and UofO, although not requiring the MCAT, place heavy emphasis on extracurricular and life experiences as well as requiring a strong performance on the MMIs. Queen's implements a strict GPA/MCAT cut-off that's historically been 10/10/10.

I wish you good luck on your apps.

Hi Sergie,

I will try to give you couple answers.

Overall, you have very good well-rounded background. Make sure that people who give you the ref letters give you excellent letters.

Ontario med schools (at least Mac and Ottawa) in the past couple years ask for and accept the evaluation of international education by WES (World Education Service, Toronto). Of course all our ‘excellent’ marks are translated into ‘A’ and not in ‘A+’, but it is still pretty good. I had all my prereqs from overseas (hours and marks) considered this way. If you fluent in French apply to the French stream in Ottawa (slightly lower GPA cutoff). Talk about all your experiences, you have to show that you are ‘well-rounded’ applicant and have broad interests. The experiences you described are all worth mentioning, but if you are not sure about some other specific things you can pm me. About your family – I don’t think there are any specific questions in the application where you are asked about it. It may come up in your answers to some short essay ?s but in this case you can definitely show this as a positive thing (you have been able to study, work and have family life at the same time – this is great). Also, later it could come up during the interview or you may bring it up to illustrate some points, but application first.

There is also an option of getting BSc from Canadian university and there is a way for you to get it in one year (I am serious), but I would suggest that if you decide to go this way you have to commit yourself to get A and A+s, not less.

If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to PM me. It took me ten years of ‘proving that I am worth of smth’.

exvv.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Salut à tous. pouvez vous s.v.p me conseiller que faire si je veux recommencer les études de médecine ici au Canada???

Je suis un I.M.G de la Russie avec un G.P.A de 3,7 sur 4.

J'ai tenté cette année à laval, mais sans succès car après le calcul, ma cote R a donné 27,3 (????), donc refus.

y a t'il un moyen d'augmenter ma cote R en faisant un master ou bacc en ?????

ou quels sont les universités qui ne reduisent pas les GPA???

MERCI d'avance et bonne chance pour ceux qui sont encore dans la course...

Hi to everyone.

can you please advice me if i want to apply for medical school from the beginning here in Canada...

i am an IMG from Russia with a G.P.A of 3,7/4.

I tried this year at laval, but didn't get trough.

Can you please advice me which universities can actually accept an IMG to begin?? or i should do a masters or undergraduate program over here to increase my chances?? if yes so which ones???

thanks to you guys and good luck...

Salut à tous. pouvez vous s.v.p me conseiller que faire si je veux recommencer les études de médecine ici au Canada???

Je suis un I.M.G de la Russie avec un G.P.A de 3,7 sur 4.

J'ai tenté cette année à laval, mais sans succès car après le calcul, ma cote R a donné 27,3 (????), donc refus.

y a t'il un moyen d'augmenter ma cote R en faisant un master ou bacc en ?????

ou quels sont les universités qui ne reduisent pas les GPA???

MERCI d'avance et bonne chance pour ceux qui sont encore dans la course...

Hi to everyone.

can you please advice me if i want to apply for medical school from the beginning here in Canada...

i am an IMG from Russia with a G.P.A of 3,7/4.

I tried this year at laval, but didn't get trough.

Can you please advice me which universities can actually accept an IMG to begin?? or i should do a masters or undergraduate program over here to increase my chances?? if yes so which ones???

thanks to you guys and good luck...

Est-ce que tu as fais les examens du Conseil medical du Canada? Certaines facultes de medecine vont juger ton dossier selon les examens du CMC et d'un examen ECOS (Examen Clinique Objectif et Structure). Voici les informations pour l'UdeM:

http://www.med.umontreal.ca/etudes/programme_formation/doctorat_medecine/admission/candidats/medecin_dhceu.html

Sherbrooke:

http://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/contingent-des-personnes-diplomees-hors-canada-et-etats-unis-dhceu/

Laval (il fallait appliquer dans la categorie DHCEU, pas universitaire. Dans la categorie universitaire, ils regardent tout lon parcours universitaire):

http://www.fmed.ulaval.ca/site_fac/formation/1er-cycle/medecine/admission/detenteurs-dun-diplome-hors-du-canada-ou-des-etats-unis-dhceu/129156520e5b1358ec535b36b2537aeb/?print=1

McGill:

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/categories/imgqc

Essaie de chercher sur les sites des autres universites canadiennes. Etre admis a n'importe quelle faculte de medecine nord-americaine va t'ouvrire les voies de la pratique. J'espere que ca t'aide.

Archived